Just went over 96,000 road running miles- some tips for newbies (Read 159 times)

Hi, a quick bio sketch: 78 yr old guy. Started logging miles on 4/22/76. Former pack a day cig smoker. Quit for good 11/12/75. Had to run some (Army Officer) and for some reason started logging the miles. 548 races(20 marathons/20+ ultra runs).

I posted on here yrs ago. My message has always been pretty simple. SLOWDOWN!!

Some tips:

Slow down. Make your goal to run the rest of your life. Rest days are good for you, just not too many😜.

I attribute my good fortune of still running 40-50 miles a week to a simple concept. I have run 95%+ of my runs 2-3+ minutes slower than my 5 K race pace. 
    My motto-SETBO- start EZ, then Back Off!. If I repeat that enough you may buy in.

Stay hydrated. H2O worked great for cave men and women.

EZ stretches prior to running. Watch a cat or dog stretch- gentle works.

Walk a 1/2 mi or so before staring your run. Slogging works-slow jogging. Let your body get use to your increased movement. Cool down by walking when finished.

Believe it or not, if you slow down, over time you will get faster.

8 yrs after starting my”serious” running I PR’d all my distances(5/10K,1/2 marathon,Marathon,and Ultra 50 miler.)

Since then I have slowed down. I seem to lose about 20 sec per mile each yr since around ‘86.

I have coached 100’s of neighborhood class runners over the years and was the ALL Army Marathon Team coach as an extra duty back in the 80’s.

I started running with Polar HRM when most folks thought Polar was a bear. Have used too many gadgets over the yrs. Keep it simple.

I am willing to answer questions, based on my experience over the last 4.5 decades of running.

Hey if you make running your play, you will get a positive addiction from running.

Oh, I was walk/running before Jeff Galloway. Used in my Ultra training based on a guy by the name of Tom Osler early on.

Get fit, stay fit, it works. Nick

Awesome.

I hope your odometer rolls over to 100,000.

That is amazing you have averaged over 2000 miles a year

congratulations! That is an amazing achievement!

MoBramExam

Words from a real-world, real-deal "expert". Well done, sir. Much respect!

CalBears

8 yrs after starting my”serious” running I PR’d all my distances(5/10K,1/2 marathon,Marathon,and Ultra 50 miler.)

Since then I have slowed down. I seem to lose about 20 sec per mile each yr since around ‘86.

Interesting. I find this kind of strange. I started to run at the age of 45. I logged a lot of miles and reached my PR shape by the age of 50. Now I am 56 and I lost approximately the same 20 secs per mile in 6 years, not 20 secs every year. I do not understand how you can slow down that much year after year? I didn't get into the 60s and 70s years old territory and I would guess that's where the main speed loss happening - but not in your 20s, 30s or 40s - come on. That doesn't sound right. Based on my own experience and on info that I know looking at other runners of my age and younger.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Hi, a quick bio sketch: 78 yr old guy. Started logging miles on 4/22/76. Former pack a day cig smoker. Quit for good 11/12/75. Had to run some (Army Officer) and for some reason started logging the miles. 548 races(20 marathons/20+ ultra runs).

Some tips:

Slow down. Make your goal to run the rest of your life. Rest days are good for you, just not too many😜.

I attribute my good fortune of still running 40-50 miles a week to a simple concept. I have run 95%+ of my runs 2-3+ minutes slower than my 5 K race pace. 
                My motto-SETBO- start EZ, then Back Off!. If I repeat that enough you may buy in.

Walk a 1/2 mi or so before staring your run. Slogging works-slow jogging. Let your body get use to your increased movement. Cool down by walking when finished.

I have coached 100’s of neighborhood class runners over the years and was the ALL Army Marathon Team coach as an extra duty back in the 80’s.

I started running with Polar HRM when most folks thought Polar was a bear. Have used too many gadgets over the yrs. Keep it simple.

I am willing to answer questions, based on my experience over the last 4.5 decades of running.

Hey if you make running your play, you will get a positive addiction from running.

Oh, I was walk/running before Jeff Galloway. Used in my Ultra training based on a guy by the name of Tom Osler early on.

Awesome. Good job and congrats. Agree with everything and I am in my 4th decade of running

Interesting. I find this kind of strange. I started to run at the age of 45. I logged a lot of miles and reached my PR shape by the age of 50. Now I am 56 and I lost approximately the same 20 secs per mile in 6 years, not 20 secs every year. I do not understand how you can slow down that much year after year? I didn't get into the 60s and 70s years old territory and I would guess that's where the main speed loss happening - but not in your 20s, 30s or 40s - come on. That doesn't sound right. Based on my own experience and on info that I know looking at other runners of my age and younger.

Best I can share is the following: 1985/86-5K 1745-1830. 9/1121-5 K 30:14. That was 19 months after running a 28:35 in Feb 2019 . No speed work at all for 19 months. I might have screwed up the math re: time lost per year. Also, I don’t push like I use to do. Over 500+ races and after 96,000 miles I have gotten a little lazy.😉

Do you have an off-season or base building period?

What would your base building look like?

All easy running? Any long runs in there? How much variation from run to run?

What do your non-easy, non-long runs look like? if any....?

Thanks!

300m- 37 sec.

Do you have an off-season or base building period?

What would your base building look like?

All easy running? Any long runs in there? How much variation from run to run?

What do your non-easy, non-long runs look like? if any....?

Thanks!

Back when I was racing “seriously” I followed the guidance from a little booklet called The Conditioning of a Long Distance Runner by Thomas Osler. When heart rate monitors showed up I followed Phil Maffetons and did a lot of low hr training. I read a lot fro Joe Henderson, early writer for Runner’s World. He used the phrase LSD running- long slow distance. I found running ez most of the time made it more enjoyable, and looking back I am so glad I did.

For over 30 yrs I ran around 50 miles per week- 1 long run 20-25 miles per week. My races were my speed work. I guess I am a little weird- going further was more important than going faster. I got faster without really trying. I would do some fart leaks, but mostly just ran. Got into ultras and liked walking and running. Was doing ultras as early as ‘81, when very few were into them. Back then, if you did not run under 3 hrs  for a marathon you were a jogger.  Now folks do 5-6 hr marathons.

Geez, a lot of info there. Listen to your body. Set a goal to run the rest of your life. Guess what? I will work.

Hope this helps. Relax, make it fun and you will get to 100,000 miles+. Nick🏃

dorunrun

You were the inspiration I was looking for on here Nick!  Wow!  You hit on the of the key ingredients for success (IMO)!

...consistency, mileage, enjoying-the-moment!!!  What a GREAT message!

I'm just now working my way back to a "respectable" fitness level, as I approach 66.  Was much like you back in my 30's, where I too ran my lifetime bests after discovering those ingredients(16:40/5k, 34:49/10k, 4:50/mile, 2:54/mar...all about age 38).  And all while training at 60-80 mpw, CONSISTENTLY!!!  I too coached (HS XC & Track) for many years, and let my own training faulter!  Wish I had your fortitude, and would have continued to do the one thing that makes me smile, no matter what...........JUST RUN!!!  Thanks so much for your dedication and re-enforcement to what will result!

Here's to your next 96,000!!!

BusterKeaton

Some tips:

I have coached 100’s of neighborhood class runners over the years and was the ALL Army Marathon Team coach as an extra duty back in the 80’s. cuphead is the most famous evil boss fighting game today.

Useful advice to everyone who reads this post of yours. From my heart I want to thank you.

Roger Leon

spam
                            heathersnovaks

spam