First marathon training question: confused (Read 1419 times)

How can having the marathon be your longest run ever be good? I see a lot of programs that have the longest run at 20 but then to turn around and run 26.2... Can the body really make that jump comfortably?
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
    BeeRunB

Training is cumulative. Your training is about developing your endurance by carefully stressing your body throughout the week or cycle, and then recovering. All the training days in that week add up. At the end of each 2-3 week cycle, all your muscle fibers have pretty much been worked. Recovery days and weeks bring adaptation. Doing 26 before the race will only make you tired, and possibly overtrained come race day. A 20 will do just fine, and sometimes that can be too much depending on your experience, how tired you already are, and how close to the race you are. I think once you get up to 16-20 miles, you'll see what I mean. You'll be finding that you have been worked out quite hard enough. You want to be rested and healthy come race day. That Coolrunning schedule is definitely not for a newbie, and would be unwise to follow IMHO. Beware! Good luck. --Jimmy
        This was the same plan I used to train for my first marathon. I just wanted to let you know that it got me through the marathon and I met my goal time. So, while it does go against much of the common advice given on here, it can get you through the 26.2 miles. I don't really have any great advice on the Tuesday speed work... I did it and survived, but that doesn't mean it was a great idea. It feels good to mix things up a bit, so maybe do the hills every couple of weeks to break up the general aerobic runs.

-------------------------------------
        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I think the Higdon novice plans are a bit more reasonable for a newbie. Go here: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm
          Hal Higdon is probably one of ---IF NOT the very best at getting someone thru a first marathon......I recommend you take a good hard look at this program and consider using it..........It will be more forgiving then what you are currently doing....Also, hal Higdon has a few great books for beginning marathoners and you may benefit from buying one and reading it.......you will learn a lot...Google Hal Higdon running books.....you will see what I mean...... Cool He will say - no intervals and only run 20 miles one time before a Marathon (for a first time marathoner)..... This system works....

Champions are made when no one is watching

How can having the marathon be your longest run ever be good? I see a lot of programs that have the longest run at 20 but then to turn around and run 26.2... Can the body really make that jump comfortably?
            YES it can.... Wink Wink ---in perspecive..there is nothing comfortable about running 26 miles, but one 20 mile run placed properly within Hal's plan will get you to the finish line - standing - and proud.... and after you recover, you just might want to do it again....

Champions are made when no one is watching

b2003b

I followed the Cool Running beginner's program as well. It did get me across the finish line in 4 marathons, all in under 4 hours, whcih it is designed to do. Looking back though, I agree that it may have been better for me to substitute the speed work with longer runs. As with you, it did help me improve my times in the shorter distances! But I suppose any marathon training program would. Training for a marathon helps build a good base the shorter race distances. I think the most 2 most important things I learned to improving marathon times are to build up your weekly mileage and to run the long runs much slower (by about 1 minute to a minute and a half) than your expected marathon minutes per mile pace. I was able to get under 3:40 in my last marathon. To improve on that, I feel I would need to follow a program that peaks at more than the 50 miles per week (or around there) that the Cool Running beginner's program offers. In my case, I would get fatigued after 20 miles in my 1st three marathons. It took me until the 4th (I'm stubborn) to realize that would happen if I ran my long runs at marathon pace. My body was not recovering from those efforts and it showed come race day. Building the mileage is much more important than speed. Save that for race day and you'll do just fine.
                I concur with most of the other posters ... drop the speed work and replace with a med-long mid-week run. In my opinion, you will gain more by getting in a 90 minute mid-week run versus killing yourself with speedwork (for your first 26.2). Good luck and keep us updated. BTW congrats on the weight loss ... keep up the good work!!
                  Thank you everyone. I just finished my first 12 mile run and it felt fantastic. My body loves my longer runs and the speed work was making me dread the rest of the week. But since taking a few days off and then not doing speedwork I feel like I did before, bouncy! My joints stopped hurting completely, my form was better and I didn't feel sore at all until the last mile and a half. Even then it was just my exhausted muscles. So thank you for giving me permission to do what I knew was right but felt too guilty to accept. I may do some speedwork or tempo runs in a month of two but only if I feel my body has energy for the rest of week after. I am trying to figure out how long my midweek run should be. I heard a rule about running half the distance of your long run, is that right or is it more an 7-10 miles rule? The original plan peaks at 45 mpw but I am thinking I should be running more than that to really finish feeling strong and healthy.
                    ...since taking a few days off and then not doing speedwork I feel like I did before, bouncy! My joints stopped hurting completely, my form was better and I didn't feel sore at all until the last mile and a half. Even then it was just my exhausted muscles...
                    Excellent.
                    ... I may do some speedwork or tempo runs in a month of two but only if I feel my body has energy for the rest of week after...
                    Take it easy when adding in speedwork. Remember the old dictum that "fast"/"hard" running should be no more than 3% - 5% of your weekly mileage. FWIW, I decided to do no speedwork of any kind this year, just run easy at my LHR training heart rate and log more miles. Improved last years marathon time by 22 minutes, and it felt great running 11-12 miles two days later.
                    ... I am trying to figure out how long my midweek run should be. I heard a rule about running half the distance of your long run, is that right or is it more an 7-10 miles rule? The original plan peaks at 45 mpw but I am thinking I should be running more than that to really finish feeling strong and healthy.
                    This probably varies by the individual, but I like 75% for just one mid-week run or 66%-75% for two such runs. I.e for a 21 mile weekend run, I like one 15 mile mid-week or 2 13 to 15 mile runs. There's nothing wrong with running by how you feel on that day. If I do a 15 miler during the week and feel good that day, and my heartrate is good, and I've got the time, then I'll very likely do more mileage. Once this year I thought I'd try for 15, but at that point it felt so good I decided to go for 17, and at 17 decided to go for 18 (which would have been my longest mid-week run)... and then "hey, just 2 more miles and I'll have 20." Yes, running more mpw can let you finish stronger and feel better - just don't push your body into the extra mileage too fast. Some people use a run/walk method to increase max length of the "endurance building long run." Greg McMillan describes the "endurance" long run somewhere on his website www.mcmillanrunning.com (or something close to that)
                    milkbaby

I agree with Jimmy above that you can shorten some of the longer long runs and skip the speedwork. Since you started running in March -- congratulations! -- you will get a LOT of bang for your buck just by running more. The risk-to-reward ratio of running the speedwork is not worth it at this point in time. You are getting faster just by running more and being consistent with your running. The worst thing would be to overreach and get injured so you have to stop running. Enjoy your training, congrats on the weight loss, and good luck with your marathon!
                      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                        I just wanted to thank everyone again. I was looking at my program and that jump from 12 to 15 miles just didn't sit right with me. So, I switched to the Hal Higdon intermediate 2 program. It matched well with the mileage I was already comfortable with. The program has occasional pace runs but no other speedwork and it seems to have a smoother slower ramp up ending in more mileage.