Not a runner - I need help, I Don't want to fail (Read 75 times)

RicardoHatesRun

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help/advise/plan or all three. I want to become a runner! First let me tell you about myself...

I'm in my late 30's. Male. I'm overweight. I'd like to lose weight. I'm probably about 5' 8" and 230 lbs. I wear XL shirts. I'm overweight, but don't see myself super fat or anything, but am probably larger than I think. I don't exercise, but I do have a dog that's about a year and a half and I will walk him every day, so that's something I do that I didn't do prior to getting a dog. That's the extent of what I do for exercise. I don't exercise.

I'll be honest, I HATE running, but I have total respect for it. I'm always amazed at people that just occasionally exercise and they're like I just ran 3 miles blah blah blah. For me running a mile would be a huge accomplishment, how can they run 3? Running is hard, but that's why I have total respect for it. I think it's the hardest thing, but also the most rewarding. I think it has the best overall reward. Burn a ton of calories, improve cardio, better for the heart, and the list goes on.

It's probably been 10+ years, but I've tried the couch to 5k app twice in the past while trying to exercise and lose weight and failed both times. Both times I failed due to shin splints. One of the times I tried stretching and resting, but they wouldn't go away and I ended up giving up. Another time I tried pushing through the pain, but surprise it got to be too much and I gave up, failed again. I've even tried doing bike riding instead of running and I just didn't enjoy it. I felt like running was better. Biking I felt like I had to go twice as far and twice as long to do the same thing I could do for running. So in my head, since running is the hardest, I should do that. The most bang for your buck. I'll admit I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what kind of stretching and warm up I should be doing prior to running or even after for cooling down. With all three of these things, I've been doing them solo as well. Not sure If I'd do better if I had a support group to exercise with. I remember when I use to run in elementary school for PE, we'd run laps. over time increase the number of laps, which I liked, but that was decades ago. Last year I did a 5k though work and walked fast paced with a co-worker. That was tougher than I thought.

So this time around I'd like to approach it differently. I want to set myself up to succeed and not fail, so I'm trying to get help do it right. I probably do need new shoes, but what kind should I get? I always thought shin splints where from not stretching right, but doing a little research on them now, it seems that they are from over working. Which makes sense starting from nothing and then going pretty hard at it with the couch to 5k app. Future goals, I'd like to become a runner, which would be huge for me. I don't think I'd really be interested in races, but if I can get running comfortably I would do a 5k or 10k or something, however I feel like I'm far from that. I don't know if I'd ever do a half or marathon - those seem crazy, lol. I'd like to lose weight, have better stamina, be able to play with the kids better, while doing sports. Not be winded while chasing a kid or something. Of course the heart benefits would be great as well.

How do I start? How do I gradually work up to running without getting shin splints? How do I stretch properly? How do I come up with a plan? What shoes do I buy? Nikes, New Balance, Under Armor, shoe store vs a running store? How do I set myself up to succeed? What else do I need to know and do?

I'm in the general Orlando, FL - outside of Orlando area. Is there any running clubs that would help me? I'm thinking schedule, wise with work, kid activities, and family life - it would be easiest to exercise on my own time, which wouldn't allow for the social running club type environment. I want to succeed though, so I'm open to the best solution for me to do that.

I appreciate anyone who has read through this and will take the time to pass on advise. This is just a random running forum I found, not even sure where to start with that. Thank you. Take care.

zebano

Hey Ricardo,

Congrats on trying to improve yourself and good job walking the dog so much.

The most important part of weight loss is regulating how much you consume. I personally recommend using MyFitnesPal or similar app/website for a week or two to just get an idea of how much you're actually eating. It's much much much easier to eat less than it is to exercise enough to burn a noticeable number of calories.

On Running:

* everyone hates the first 2-3 weeks, it gets better after that as your body makes some adaptions.

* you can almost always run slower than you think you can and this will make it more pleasant

* C25K is IMO an excellent introduction to running.

* Shin splints have a variety of causes, for me they got better when I stopped overstriding (landing with my foot out in front of my hips): focus on really short but quick steps. Think of it as jogging or shuffling might help. Some people swear that theirs improves with new shoes. In either case, I am not a doctor those are just the experiences I've had or talked to people about.

* Finally - if you really do hate running, then try something else, maybe many things. Swim, bike, lift weights, hiking trails, roller blade, ski, windsurfing,  group exercise classes at your gym, yoga, walk the dog an extra time each day. Whatever floats your boat. The exercise program that you enjoy is one you're more likely to stick to long term and it's much more important to have a healthy habit long term than it is to jog regularly for one year while you lose some weight only to quit and gain it back.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I don't know what is best to prevent shin splints, but I am sure you can Google stretches and exercises that would help. I don't know what shoes are best, I'd think this would be something tailored to each individual, perhaps a sporting shoe store would offer guidance. Zebanos advice was good, exercise is more efficient with weight loss when combined with diet changes. Try to choose healthy foods to eat, more veggies less carbs. Now there are exercises that can burn more calories per hour than running with less stress . An elliptical machine can give a very good cardio workout with a lot less strain on the joints. Cycling can be as effective as running depending on the speed and intensity. Running involves impacts and other stresses that can produce injuries. Generally it is not a good idea to push through the pain, an experienced runner will know when to back off. I've never had shin splints, but suffered other running injuries like knee or tendon issues which can take months to get better. If you want to go the running route it may be an exercise you have to work up to. I would suggest start by walking the dog longer and doing run/walks where you alternate running for 3 minutes with walking for 1 minute. Don't push the pace, jog slowly, let the body adapt. If you feel any signs of pain back off, you may have to start with a greater proportion of walking and/or shorter distances. Important thing is to find a program you can do consistently every week without injury and to continue with that for several weeks at least before increasing volume or intensity. At this point the main virtue is patience, tiny incremental increases are better than too much too soon. Others have done it, with time you will lose weight and be running faster and further!

ll

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Zebano and Altair have great advice, to which I would only add: Frequent, fairly vigorous exercise will improve and extend your life, so by all means, find an exercise routine that works for you.  That said, let's be honest: Running isn't going to help a lot with losing weight, because it is WAY easier (and for many, more pleasant) to take in calories than to expend them. Concentrate on both the diet and the exercise.

I was 38, 6'-1" and 240 pounds. It took me 18 months, but I got to 205 pounds and could run 40 miles a week. I'm back closer to 230 pounds and I'm now 52. But it's not hard for me to jog 6 miles, I just have to go slower than I used to. But yeah... I had to put in those 18 months, no way around it. Jog/walk then jog. You will probably start by trying to go much faster than you should be going.

My shin splint buster was toe taps. Sit at a chair with your heel maybe 3-4 inches out from directly under your knee. Then lift your toes up and down quickly while keeping your heel on the ground. Do it for 30 seconds and then try the other leg. This helps your build muscles on the front of your leg. Running always requires some effort to balance the muscles with some maintenance of the body. Shin splints is like step 1 on this path.

archi1491

spammer

an amazing likeness

First, congratulations on choosing to invest in your self and your future health!  There is no doubt it will pay dividends.

I'm going to offer some advice, however, which is to ignore running. I genuinely am concerned focusing on running will set you up for failure and a more flexible goal will better help get your journey started and embedded as a new habit.  You need a new habit of exercise, and running can certainly be a part of that, however the habit of exercise needs to be nurtured and grown. Were we sitting across from each other sharing one of the few beers and you asked my advice, here's what I'd offer...

Get outside for 1 hour each day. Every day. Walk some days, jog some days, mix it up...if you're low energy one day, just walk around taking in the sights, sounds and smells. If you're feeling great, walk briskly and mix in some jogging.  The goal isn't distance or speed, the goal is get out and move for 1 hour each day. Every day. No excuses. Do this for days, then weeks, then months...make it part of who you are.

Over time what you do with that hour will change and it may be running that becomes your new jam.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mmerkle

I love the ambitious attitude, and I hope this all goes well for you. As others have said, if you truly hate running, then it just might not be for you. You need to make a sustainable lifestyle change, and avoid the mentality of just doing something until the weight is gone and then reverting back to your previous lifestyle. That is exactly why people put weight back on. You first need to accept that something needs to change permanently.

But I would like to add that I have heard from other people who were overweight, and then lost that weight, that running while overweight is not advisable. They told me that carrying that extra weight makes running very painful (for knees in particular) and you are also likely to get hurt. It might be better to give running an honest try after you have already shed some of the pounds through some other means.

Walking can do more for you than you might think, especially if you walk up hills. Walking is a low intensity aerobic activity, which means you are burning fat for fuel while doing it! Check out Rebel Wilsons transformation. During interviews, she said a lot of what she did to lose weight was simply walking.

I would also recommend LIGHT strength training to supplement whatever cardio you choose to do. Keep in mind muscle is the primary fat burner in your body, so the more of it you have the better.

Finally, and please keep in mind that I am NOT a nutritionist or certified in any way, I would recommend you avoid eating until you feel full. That means you ate more than you need so the extra calories are going to get stored as fat. It can take up to 20 minutes after you start eating for your body to release the hormone that causes a feeling of satiation. So eat more slowly, and try to include as many fruits and veggies in your diet as you can.

In summary, start making short term, realistic goals, do something that doesn't make you miserable, be consistent about it, and eat fruits and veggies. I am not saying don't run, but consider the idea of incorporating running later on in your journey.

RicardoHatesRun

Wow! I really do appreciate everyone's advice. This is just what I was looking for. I want to change and want to set myself up for success. I'll take all of your advice and come up with a plan. In my head my original plan prior to writing this was I could start with the running, then long term I might do a 5k race, then seeing results maybe I'd start lifting weights and eating better, etc. but just to start with one task of running and getting good at that.

But I'm betting all of you are right, maybe I need to focus on the one task of just moving with a mixture of things. In high school I use to love lifting weights. I'll ponder, and then take action. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

mmerkle

Wow! I really do appreciate everyone's advice. This is just what I was looking for. I want to change and want to set myself up for success. I'll take all of your advice and come up with a plan. In my head my original plan prior to writing this was I could start with the running, then long term I might do a 5k race, then seeing results maybe I'd start lifting weights and eating better, etc. but just to start with one task of running and getting good at that.

But I'm betting all of you are right, maybe I need to focus on the one task of just moving with a mixture of things. In high school I use to love lifting weights. I'll ponder, and then take action. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Feel free to keep us posted.

SMART Approach

I am happy you are wanting to do this right. I am happy to send you a my more conservative beginner plan to run a 5K. It is more ideal and more conservative than Couch25K. It is a structured 14 week plan called NO RUN to 3.ONE with walking built in and safe progression and even 5K race strategy. Just DM me or email me to be one of my test subjects.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I used to hate running too, then one day in my late 40's something changed and now I can't imagine not running.

As a beginner, I had shin splints too and a physical therapist, whom I was seeing for an unrelated issue, recommended heel raises (stand on a stair with your heels off the edge, lower yourself slightly, then rise to tiptoes, repeat).  It seems counterintuitive that an exercise mostly focused on the back of the leg (calf) would help the front, but it worked for me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28