2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 269 times)

DavePNW

Ooh, seeing that course does make me want to do Chicago in the future.  I don't want to do it if it's in the 80s.  60s, you bet.

Agree with all this.

Dave

Brewing Runner

Cat Disliker

I just set up my Garmin data screens. Elapsed Time and heart rate. Elapsed time because if I accidentally stop the timer instead of hit the lap button I'll have my total running time. Heart rate because I have always used it and know where I'm usually at for marathons and what heart rate is not going to last for long. It's also kind of a security blanked since I don't have GPS.

Pace band printed. I also plan to grab a tattoo, and some Gatorade Gels, at the Expo. Additionally I'm planning on sticking with the pacer with the dream he/she/they is/are targeting a 3:04:59 and not a 3:05Tight lippedx.

1 mile: 5:38 (September 2018)

5K: 20:23 (March 2018)

10K: 42:11 (May 2018)

Half: 1:31:19.5* (2019 Mt Charleston Marathon)

Marathon 3:05:22.9* (2019 Mt Charleston Marathon)

Annual Miles 1,892.7 miles

*downhill course with 5,126 ft net drop and 30F temp change. 

2019 Goal: Get into the 4/19/21 marathon

I just set up my Garmin data screens. Elapsed Time and heart rate. Elapsed time because if I accidentally stop the timer instead of hit the lap button I'll have my total running time. Heart rate because I have always used it and know where I'm usually at for marathons and what heart rate is not going to last for long. It's also kind of a security blanked since I don't have GPS.

Pace band printed. I also plan to grab a tattoo, and some Gatorade Gels, at the Expo. Additionally I'm planning on sticking with the pacer with the dream he/she/they is/are targeting a 3:04:59 and not a 3:05Tight lippedx.

Best of luck!

Arvind Balaraman

weather has got me worried

Interval Junkie --Nobby

weather has got me worried

Welcome to Chicago!

2016 Goals: Lose the 10lbs I gained for not having goals

JoeTracy

Hi!

We're looking for people who want to run the 2018 NYC Marathon but do not have a bib. On 10/12/18, Jimmy Kimmel Live is hosting a contest in New York where the winner gets a bib for the 2018 NYC Marathon! If anyone is interested, please email me at:

Joseph.M.Tracy.-ND@abc.com

Submissions are due by Monday October 8th at 9:00AM.

Please help spread the word!

Thanks,

Joe

LedLincoln

Yeah, the pace band seems like unnecessary complication. Maybe it depends on your personality but it feels too restrictive to me like I might give up if things aren't working out. Keeping an eye on a pacer for the first 15-16 to slow me down and keep me in control and then picking it up from there has worked well. The best advice I ever read was to not expend any unnecessary energy in the first 15 miles. If I feel myself tensing up, feeling anxious, wondering about pace, going around too many people etc, I let it go as using too much energy. Then, start the race after that. The pacer helps with the not using too much energy thing.. let them do that work. I don't typically run with people so by mile 15 I'm usually ready to let them go and speed up a little ahead. Whatever works for you I guess.

I ran across this approach in a very old race report:

went back to chanting: 7:45 (mile 1), 37:47 (5), 1:15:34 (10), 1:53 (15), 2:31 (20), 3:01(24), 3:17:59 (26.2)-----I try to drill the desired splits into memory so I worry less about each mile and break the race into segments.

Wow, never though of that.

[The blockquote link doesn't work, so here's the entire RR:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/be98addac4a147378019ac28b66592ca]

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
                - Mark Twain

I ran across this approach in a very old race report:

Wow, never though of that.

[The blockquote link doesn't work, so here's the entire RR:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/be98addac4a147378019ac28b66592ca]

Jeepers. That doesn't seem fun.