Pit Bull confrontation... (Read 1239 times)

Half Fanatic #846

while I was running on the St. Marks Rail Trail near Tallahassee, FL a couple of days ago! - about my 4th time running on that trail recently. I was by myself, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a large white female pit bull and a brown pit bull run out of their yard, cross the road, and run full tilt straight at me, growling and barking. They had come after me from a distance of about 150 feet. The white one charged me. Shocked I had no choice but to introduce Ms. Pit Bull to Mr. Pepper Spray, and hope for the best. I sprayed her in the face/eyes at a distance of about 6-8 feet with the dog spray I always carry (but haven't had to use in my 4 years of running until now, and I've "met" plenty of dogs during that time). She immediately stopped, turned around, and walked back across the street, with the less aggressive brown one following, and I kept on going. About 30 minutes later, I ran back by on the way back with dog spray at the ready, and saw the brown one just watching me from his yard. I didn't see the white one again. Hopefully cryin' her eyes out, and not gonna do that again. Irresponsible owners...grrrrr Angry Every situation is probably different, but in this case I'm sure that I was able to avoid getting bitten. I'm also certain that if the white one had bitten me, the brown one would have tried to join in. Whether the spray was actually effective, or the fact that I "faced" the dog was effective - I'll never really know. But I do have confidence in using the dog spray. I really think that if an animal is totally intent on attacking/biting, nothing much short of deadly force is going to stop it, however. Just be careful out there folks! FWIW it worked for me. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

wilkituba

I've always said the only good pit bull is a dead one. Those dogs have no business being alive. They are unpredictable and dangerous. Glad you survived this and had some pepper spray with you. I would have called animal control to tell them take care of them or I will, one bullet at a time. Angry

Just keep running...

I've always said the only good pit bull is a dead one. Those dogs have no business being alive.
        Wow, and Wow. I feel the same way about some humans... Come meet Cortez, a 65 pound Pit bull, see what you think then. The problem is 96% owner 4% breed (My opinion), Please take the stereotypes somewhere else. From Wikipedia (In know not the greatest resource, but it works) "Although friendliness and tolerance towards humans are traits of the breed, there are, as in any breed, those that are dangerous toward humans. It is the owner's responsibility to be in total control of his dog, and it is the owner who, through intentional mistreatment or neglect, is frequently responsible for pit bull bites. Many attacks by other dog breeds are misclassified as "pit bulls" by media reports."
          I'm so glad the spray worked!! Shocked my aunt had her precious pit bull, "Dog" for 4 years. Swore up and down it was THE nicest dog EVER. Was offended I wouldn't let my children near it. Two weeks after our visit, Dog mauled the next door neighbor girl..unprovoked and they had to have him put down. My aunt spoiled Dog and never mistreated him. I don't get the defensiveness for Pit Bulls. I'm sure there are nice ones and if you wanna take the risk, go for it, but there's plenty of reason to not like them and mistrust them.

Jennifer mm#1231

Just keep running...

I'm so glad the spray worked!! Shocked my aunt had her precious pit bull, "Dog" for 4 years. Swore up and down it was THE nicest dog EVER. Was offended I wouldn't let my children near it. Two weeks after our visit, Dog mauled the next door neighbor girl..unprovoked and they had to have him put down. My aunt spoiled Dog and never mistreated him. I don't get the defensiveness for Pit Bulls. I'm sure there are nice ones and if you wanna take the risk, go for it, but there's plenty of reason to not like them and mistrust them.
            I do understand that, and agree, thats the 4%. The same thing happens with other dog breeds as well. Im more against the THEY ALL SHOULD DIE statement than anything. Granted, Ive only known one Pit Bull, and he was afraid of his own shadow, but I've also met many other breeds that are FAR more aggressive.
            wilkituba

Wow, and Wow. I feel the same way about some humans... Come meet Cortez, a 65 pound Pit bull, see what you think then. The problem is 96% owner 4% breed (My opinion), Please take the stereotypes somewhere else. From Wikipedia (In know not the greatest resource, but it works) "Although friendliness and tolerance towards humans are traits of the breed, there are, as in any breed, those that are dangerous toward humans. It is the owner's responsibility to be in total control of his dog, and it is the owner who, through intentional mistreatment or neglect, is frequently responsible for pit bull bites. Many attacks by other dog breeds are misclassified as "pit bulls" by media reports."
              Might be true, but I would be more comfortable next to a diamondback rattlesnake in the wild (which I've have been very near living and working near White Sands Missile Range) than a pit bull loose in my neighborhood. Your dog might be the sweetest dog ever, but I wouldn't trust it if you were not around. The diamondback will try to get away from me as fast as possible (seen them do it) but a loose pit bull... http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf
                I do understand that, and agree. (but it also happens with other dog breeds as well.) Im more against the THEY ALL SHOULD DIE statement than anything.
                LOL...although the irrational-fearful-OMG-if-one-of-my-kids-was-ever-attacked agrees with the statement, I realize it's not an appropriate response. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Just keep running...

Might be true, but I would be more comfortable next to a diamondback rattlesnake in the wild (which I've have been very near living and working near White Sands Missile Range) than a pit bull loose in my neighborhood. Your dog might be the sweetest dog ever, but I wouldn't trust it if you were not around. The diamondback will try to get away from me as fast as possible (seen them do it) but a loose pit bull... http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf
                  Snakes live by the same instinctual rules: "The MOST diamondback(s) will try to get away from me as fast as possible (seen them do it) but a loose pit bull..." will do the same thing in MOST cases. I guess, Im not trying to defend Pit bulls, (its not mine BTW, nor would I own one). Those stats show some interesting data, and I dont have anything, nor any reason to argue them. My problem was the "Those dogs have no business being alive" knee-jerk response. Where is the list of Fatalities caused by humans? Because more people die in car accidents means all the drivers "have no business living"?
                    Wow - I can't believe you had to experience something like that. I wouldve freaked! I keep telling myself to get some pepper spray and I never do, I gotta get my butt out there and do it - and this is exactly why. Just for personal satisfaction, I wouldve went back to the house when I knew it was safe and told the owners what happened. They might not even be aware that the dogs can get out, or even that they are a threat. I would also definitely have called animal control as well so that everything is documented. Youre damn lucky I say

Feeling the growl again

While stereotypes are dangerous, I must say that every single serious dog encounter I have had has been with a pit, rot, dobbie, or german shepherd. I've had others act vicious but those were the only types of large dogs that have ever put me in a situation where I honestly thought blood would be drawn. I totally agree with the owner statement, but I think you drew the 4% out of thin air and it's much higher than that for some breeds. I still remember back in the 80s when 60 Minutes did a show on pits and showed a family with their pit and how the dog rolled around and played with their little kids; then they froze the frame and said that 2 weeks after filming the dog turned on and killed the little girl unprovoked. My uncle had a pit, it was a sweet dog until it was 2 yrs old and then it was like a switch, it lit into his other dog with which it had never had a problem and almost killed it, he had to kill the pit to save the other. Owners need to be responsible, but a lot aren't and some breeds are more dangerous like it or not. If I were you I'd call animal control and report the encounter. What if the next person down that trail is a runner with no pepper spray or a kid?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I don't know how closely you actually read this report that you posted the link to, but it clearly states that the majority (67%) of all dog related fatalities were on the owners property!! Point being, the difference between a dog and a rattlesnake is that humans can control any dog, regardless of breed. They are domesticated animals. A rattlesnake is a wild animal whose terrain we are choosing to invade. The owner is responsible for their dog's actions, not the dog. Your "taking care of them one bullet at a time/only good pit bull is a dead one" attitude makes me think you must work for the Bush administration! It is a classic example of the fear and ignorance that dominates much of our society.
                        chrimbler

I've always said the only good pit bull is a dead one. Those dogs have no business being alive. They are unpredictable and dangerous. Glad you survived this and had some pepper spray with you. I would have called animal control to tell them take care of them or I will, one bullet at a time. Angry
                          You sir are an ignorant SOB!! You obviously have no idea about the breed or how their mind works. The owners are the ones to blame for pit bull attacks, NOT the breed. A pit bull needs strong leadership from someone who understands about being 'top dog'...this does not mean beating them, it means being the Alpha male/female. I know I can obviously never change your mind about them, but I would like you to watch the Dog whisperer on National Geographic. Take a look at his pack... a lot of pits and then take a look at how well behaved they are compared to the other dogs, they have a strong Alpha. I have also worked with pit bulls and found them to be very human friendly, if they have a fault it is that they are TOO loyal to their owners (the same owners who beat and abuse them!!) I can guarantee you that more Shih Tzu type dogs bite more people than pit bulls, but nothing is said because they are just a 'little bundle of fur and cuteness' Tight lipped I could go on but I won't other than to say don't blame the breed, blame the owner!
                          Run like you stole it!
                            A lab "nipped" me a couple weeks ago - the only time a dog has physically touched me since I started running in 2001. When confronted with an unleashed dog, I usually face the dog, point, and yell "GO HOME!" I did not do it with the lab, because I thought labs are friendly. I won't make that mistake again.
                            chrimbler

A lab "nipped" me a couple weeks ago - the only time a dog has physically touched me since I started running in 2001. When confronted with an unleashed dog, I usually face the dog, point, and yell "GO HOME!" I did not do it with the lab, because I thought labs are friendly. I won't make that mistake again.
                              See now we have to put a bullet in all the Labs out there...I mean if one will nip someone then all the rest must be devil dogs!!...right ai698? Wink
                              Run like you stole it!
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Troll.