Beginner motivation for long runs (Read 92 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

My wife has been getting into running to lose weight and she has seen how I have enjoyed the challenge of running progression over the past 2 years. She is getting out frequently 4-5 days per week and is improving her pace but she won't run more than 2 miles at a time unless she is running a 5k race (once every 3 months). I know she would benefit a lot from doing runs of 4-5 miles once per week to improve her endurance as well as burning calories for weight loss. I also found running more enjoyable once I started doing occasional 6-8 mile runs on the weekends.

Any tips on how I can get her motivated to occasionally do these long runs? Again, her first priority is weight loss so I think suggestions targeting this would be most helpful. Also, she is the type of person who will take someone telling them to do more as personal criticism that they aren't trying hard when that isn't the case at all.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

dhuffman63

Trails

As a person who does 50ks I'd recommend she do some strength training at least 2x's per week and seriously look at her diet before pushing to long runs.  There are a lot of marathoners who gain weight when training so running is not the magic bullet for weight loss.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

As a person who does 50ks I'd recommend she do some strength training at least 2x's per week and seriously look at her diet before pushing to long runs.  There are a lot of marathoners who gain weight when training so running is not the magic bullet for weight loss.

She has been doing Weight Watchers since February and has lost over 30 lbs so far following WW and running. Longer runs will help burn more calories and will make shorter runs better quality to burn more calories overall.

Memphis / 38 male

Let her do her own thing.  She seems motivated enough 30 lbs weight loss is not trivial.  She will see the benefit of longer runs in her own time.

Christirei

can you guys run together? maybe she would enjoy running three or four miles if you came along and talked her through it. I understand if its  trade off thing if you have young kids at home that you take turns watching, but if that isn't a hurdle that might be one way to encourage her

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You could also check into parkrun (doesn't have to be competitive) and see if there is one she could try. Or group runs with the local running store. Sometimes having an opportunity to run with someone or a group would help. ETA: If she wants to go further.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I agree with letting her do her own thing. 2 miles is pretty far. She will decide when she wants to do 4 miles. If she wants to break a certain time in the 5K tell her a 45 minute run or whatever it takes will help her out because it builds endurance and can make her faster.

you could also say "If you burn 100 calories per mile you will burn 2,600 if you run a marathon. That's X days of eating!" 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I don’t think it is ever a good idea to tell your wife what to do.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

undue monkey

I don’t think it is ever a good idea to tell your wife what to do.

Hyperbolic, but solid advice there.

My Saturday club run buddies keep trying to talk me into a marathon. I get it, they really love it, love training together, love the process and the accomplishment. But I’m a regular runner for the first time in several decades. I love being able to run every day, and be in good enough shape to scamper around 7-8 miles of a new town when I travel, feeling energized afterward instead of destroyed. I didn’t think I’d ever threaten 20:00 for 5K again. I love being at that level of fitness now too.

The point is, I’m your wife and you’re my club buddies. I think you need to appreciate what you love about the sport, and certainly share it! But let me enjoy what I’m doing, and also appreciate he fact that I’m exactly where I want to be.

MTA:spellos

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Show her my log. I have lost 70lbs since 1/1/19. I started with running 1-2 miles a day in January. I also started eating healthy at the same time.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Seattle prattle

I am with the rest of those discouraging you from trying to persuade your wife.

My advice is to avoid the topic like the plague. But do realize that you set an example and that's perhaps enough.

I kind of suspect that if you interject enough, you could risk turning what she enjoys into something she doesn't feel good about anymore, and might even stop.

In terms of advice, i feel rather certain on this one.

paul2432

Sure there are benefits to running more, but there are also costs.  Time for one.  Maybe she’s stressed or feels guilty taking too much time for herself.

Without exerting any pressure make it known that it’s fine if she takes some extra time.  She may like it if you get some things done while she is out running.  Or that might make her feel worse, like she’s even more of slacker.  Or this might not be the issue at all.

I think her finding a running partner is probably her best chance of running more.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Your wife is doing an AMAZING job.  YOUR job is to be her cheerleader, not her coach.  You can answer specific questions, but that's it.

I can't tell you how annoying it is when my husband tries to give me "helpful advice" when it comes to running or losing weight.  Annoys the shit out of me!  It is not helpful.

"she is the type of person who will take someone telling them to do more as personal criticism that they aren't trying hard when that isn't the case at all."  There's your answer. 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

So it looks like the consensus wins here and my best plan is to just let her do her thing. She is the one who signed us both up for her next two 5k's (SEP & DEC) so I know she is motivated and you all are correct that I don't want to ruin that.

We have two young kids, 5y and 8m, so she could be cutting it short thinking about all the potential chaos at home. We do occasionally run together with the baby in the stroller and the 5y on his bike but I think the 5y will get tired for more than 2 miles and I will come across as a drill sergeant trying to run 4 miles with her. Our neighbor is a runner too so maybe I will ask her to occasionally ask my wife to go on a 3-4 mile run with her.

Thanks for the insight and talking me back a bit.

Memphis / 38 male

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If you have a 8 month baby then any running is good.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes