Rhuematoid Arthritis (Read 78 times)

Member Since 2008

Does anyone besides myself have rhuematoid arthritis?

Member Since 2008

I guess I'm the only runner dealing with RA.

Doubt that, running helps mine. Plus I've started back on my glucosamine which seems to help as well. Even my 77 yo mother has found that just continuing to move helps hers. Inactivity seems to compound the symptoms.

Get off my porch

Melanie89

Mel

I got a "tentative" RA diagnosis last year at 27. Still getting some testing done here and there, but it's definitely some kind of autoimmune disease that's at least similar to RA. My issues have been limited to my shoulders and collar bones so far, so it doesn't affect my running too much, other than giving me a pretty jacked-up arm swing. I try to run or at least walk daily since sitting around for long periods is what really sets off the pain and stiffness for me.

How long have you been dealing with RA? I'm curious to hear how it affects your running.

Member Since 2008

I've had RA for about four years.  Without medication, I'm bed ridden.  I have to take a shot once a week.  So far, it hasn't effected my running as long as I take the meds.  To me, running is painful, I just embrace it.

My wife is a runner and she has RA.

She does what she can do.... She rests when it's really bad.  She swims when she wants.  She bikes when it's time to bike.  She'll run 2 - 3 days a week.

She's on one of those medications that is advertised on TV and takes it by a shot every week.  Maybe the same one you're on.

Regardless, she doesn't have athletic goals that are beyond doing what she can do as often as possible.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

to add to it...

My wife was diagnosed in her early 20s... about 20 years ago.

My wife began running (& biking & swimming) about 15 years ago to help with her RA.

There were seasons where she raced, but she doesn't race anymore.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Member Since 2008

Thanks guys, there's hope for me after all. Lol.

Iamlittlec

I have it as well. I'm 43 and was diagnosed at 40.

The joints affected the worst are in my feet and I actually get fluid filled sacs in between some of my toes that make walking without shoes painful. I take medication and that works for me.

I have RA as well, diagnosed after a painful year and a half at age 33.  I take my shot now and feel like my old self again.  No pain what so ever.  I started off taking it once a week and have pushed it out to once every 2 weeks.