Final month before first marathon advice. (Read 984 times)

Skooter 3.0

Well...It's been a long time coming. I was sidelined last spring with a stress fracture (which actually ended up teaching me more about running than any book could have so maybe it was worth it), started back in August and have built my way back up. It's been a great time, though I will say life has gotten in the way a lot more than I would have liked...(massive ice storm, brief knee issues and 2 unexpected deaths in the family) so my consistency is not at all what I want it to be for the rest of the year, but que sera sera. Honestly I feel confident. I have several 16s and an 18 miler under my belt and all were really fun, and not too difficult. My first 20 miler is sunday, and I may do another the week after. Consistency aside, does anyone have any advice for the last month pre-marathon? I'm not concerned about a time...just want to finish. I'll work on speed after my first couple marathons.

Goals?

xor

Someone else brought this up recently: Women weaken legs. Run. Eat. Poop. Life is good.

mikeymike

Stay busy and away from running forums. And enjoy!

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

Don't do anything new or different.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Run. Eat. Poop.
            I would recommend instead that you poop, then run, then eat.

Imminent Catastrophe

No. It's: Drink coffee. Poop. Run. Eat.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Skooter 3.0

No. It's: Drink coffee. Poop. Run. Eat.
                that's usually my m.o. unfortunately that did not work out as planned...last week it was: Drink coffee. Run. Utilize convienient overpass. Run. Eat. All's well that ends well I reckon...

Goals?

xor

pack it in, pack it out.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

that's usually my m.o. unfortunately that did not work out as planned...last week it was: Drink coffee. Run. Utilize convienient overpass. Run. Eat. All's well that ends well I reckon...
                    Well, don't change anything for the race day.

Imminent Catastrophe

Heh. Been there, done that. On race day I'm up plenty early so those issues don't come up during the race. And also take some TP just in case. I've seen the portajohns run out of TP on race day, and it's nice to be prepared if that happens. You DO NOT want to run a marathon if you needed TP and didn't have it before the start. That stuff is abrasive and you will be in a bug hurt in the later miles. Ouch! 'Nuff said.

Skooter 3.0

Yeah...good idea...I will say that usually I am able to plan adequately for #2. I was just crunched for time on that day...unfortunately I ended up crunched under an overpass.

Goals?

Random thoughts: - Get your last long run in 3 weeks before the big day. Use it as a ful-on dress rehearsal for the race as far as possible - i.e. do the same preparation, pre-run fueling, eat the same foods and drink the same drinks on the run and wear what you're intending to wear for the race. If something is going to go wrong, have it happen now rather than on race day. - After that, taper down towards race day - do mainly easy maintenance runs, maybe a couple of shorter runs at MP in the week or two before the race to get used to the feel of your target pace. - Try not to let the extra time & energy you have during your taper period trick you into tiring yourself out doing lots of other physical activity*. Read an inspiring book or watch a movie that will get you fired up instead. - Take one or two extra days off in the lead up to the marathon. Try and stay off your feet as much as possible the last couple of days before the race, but run a couple of easy miles the day before to stay loose. - Plan your race day - what time you're getting up, how you're getting to the start line, where you're drinking afterwards etc. All obvious stuff really. Good luck! *Though I would ignore 'women weaken legs'. Although Mick did say it, and he knows best.
                            I can offer only three tips: 1) don't go out too fast 2) don't go out too fast 3) don't go out too fast oh and remember to start out slow...
                            MM# 1477
                              Find the old thread by Jake Knight concerning race day prep. Very good reading. Very good advice.