How to deal with plantar fasciitis (Read 1446 times)

Swadvad

I think I've developed plantar fasciitis in both feet. Any thoughts on how to deal with this without completely stopping running?
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You'll probably need rest to deal with the immediate inflammation. But if you want to keep it from coming back, I think you need to improve the strength and flexibility of your feet and lower legs. Spend time gently walking/running barefoot. Stretch a lot. Doing all your exercise in typical running shoes can leave your feet weak and inflexible. I have heard of several people who cured their PF by adding barefoot exercise.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Swadvad

Being barefoot seems to make the pain worse right now. Maybe that's because of the immediate inflammation. After a few days for that to calm down, I'll try some barefoot stuff. I know that my leg muscles are very inflexible. I ruptured my achilles tendon playing soccer about 10 years ago. Lack of flexibility may have caused that too. As you can see by my log, I don't exactly put in a bunch of miles running, but I have been more consistent lately. This is VERY frustrating not to be able to run. Evil grin I can get on the bike, but it takes me 3 or 4 times longer to get in a decent workout on the bike.
          Both feet - that's tough. I experienced PF in my right foot, and that was bad enough! The unfortunate reality is that it takes time to resolve the problem, but many times you can keep running as you work through it. I went to a Podiatrist who was a triathlete and a former Navy SEAL. He had me do a lot of ice massage, and showed me several taping techniques that took the pressure off of the arch of my foot. I'm sure if you Google for foot taping, you'll find several sites that will have illustrations. Stretching will help while you work through the problem. Also, placing a golf ball on the floor and rolling your foot over it helps stimulate blood flow and also breaks up any scar tissue. One last thing - you've probably found that the first few steps of the day out of bed are a new experience in pain. This is because the healing process begins overnight, and you are breaking the newly formed tissue away from the tendon's origins. I found that giving myself a foot rub before getting out of bed helped somewhat. I hope my $.02 helps. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but you learn a good bit just by experiencing these things. Good luck!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Swadvad

Thanks. Taping seems to be a good idea. I think I'm going to try taping, ice, and ibuprophen, along with some shoe inserts for better arch support. Lots of stretching too. I still can't do the barefoot thing though. That will need to wait until the initial pain goes away. I rode the bike a few days ago, but that just takes so much more time. This is very frustrating!
              Thanks. Taping seems to be a good idea. I think I'm going to try taping, ice, and ibuprophen, along with some shoe inserts for better arch support. Lots of stretching too. I still can't do the barefoot thing though. That will need to wait until the initial pain goes away. I rode the bike a few days ago, but that just takes so much more time. This is very frustrating!
              Good luck Dave, I hope you find the right solution. Smile

Michelle

If you can, try reflexology or sport massage of just your feet. I had the beginnings of an issue - the massage felt like someone was sticking pieces of glass into my foot - ouch - BUT - the next morning, there was ZERO pain when I took those first few steps. I agree with JVol44 about using a small ball to roll under your foot. If there is scar tissue that can be broken down, perhaps the other stuff will be more effective. Hope you find the right combination that works for you.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Many years ago when i was doing karate i developed PF in both feet. I waited a long time to treat it, and I was so bad that it hurt just after sitting in the car or at my desk for more than 1/2 hour. Hhere are some lessons i did: Arch support - all the time until the problem gets better. I ended up wearing new NB running shoes with the custom molded foam insert 24/7, basically, even though i looked pretty weird with my sundresses and work slacks. Then - I bought good shoes with built in arch support. They were expensive (~$150), so I bought them 1 pair at a time, and alternated with the tennis shoes mentioned above. I iced and rubbed them. This was perhaps the most excriciating part of this whole deal. A styrafoam frozen cup of ice, peeled down, rubbed for 10 minutes, then thawed. OUCH! Stopped going barefoot around the house - I still almost always wear shoes. When able, I rubbed the bottom of my arch against a tennis ball, the edge of the coffee table while I watched TV, or other hard surface to stretch it. I had ultrasound, which ddin't seem to help. I wasn't really running at the time, but I stopped karate, and started walking (with the foam insert tennis shoes). Eventually I started running, with the same arch supports in my shoes (work up the miles slowly). I don't need the full arch supports in my running shoes anymore. Nor do I have to be so careful about the shoes I buy. But when they start to act up a couple times a month, I go back to the shoes with the foam insert for a day or 2. And I still find myself rubbing the bottom arch against the coffee table, etc. , when I'm able to. Hope this helps.
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Swadvad

I really appreciate all the advice. This appears to be more of a long-term problem, which adds to the frustration. Sad
                    jcasetnl

I really appreciate all the advice. This appears to be more of a long-term problem, which adds to the frustration. Sad
                      Everything I've read says barefoot is bad when it comes to PF, but I'm not an expert. I've heard it's often caused by insufficient arch support, and barefoot is zero arch support. Barefoot might be good to strengthen if the arch is healthy. I had it a couple years ago. First thing I did was rest for a couple weeks (no choice really). Each morning I would massage my foot by rolling it on a rigid plastic cup. (rolling pin works well, too). Over the counter orthotics helped a great deal - support the arch. Lots of stretching the calf and achilles heal.
                      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Everything I've read says barefoot is bad when it comes to PF...
                        Many people do say that. But I think they're wrong. In places where people don't wear shoes, they don't get PF. How do you think your hunter-gatherer ancestors got by without orthotics? There are 33 joints and more than 100 muscles in your feet and ankles. They are a masterpiece of nature, capable of carrying you quickly and safely over a huge variety of harsh terrain. Nothing we humans have designed comes anywhere near them yet in adaptability and efficiency. But you need to use it or lose it. Most of us have weak, inflexible feet because we never let them out of their restrictive shoes. You "need" support because you've always had support, and your foot is weak. Simple as that. What I'm suggesting isn't an instant magic cure. Rebuilding your feet's natural strength and flexibility is a slow process, just like becoming a runner is a slow process. For more info, read the articles and forum at barefootrunner.org
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          I think I just got that this morn... No Running a pretty good pace (7:30-7:45 over 3 miles) this morning and a 1/2 mile out it just started hurting and I can hardly walk...Going to have to see if I can stretch it and take some aspirin...Aggravating because I'm ready to up my mileage now...I've been WAY all over the place since the 1/2 mary in January (see my training log)
                          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                            Many people do say that. But I think they're wrong. In places where people don't wear shoes, they don't get PF. How do you think your hunter-gatherer ancestors got by without orthotics?
                            I had PF last year, and I think you are right and wrong here. Right in that I think going barefoot more often is a great way to prevent PF. Wrong in that going barefoot is a horrible way to treat PF. Once the OP is healthy, I think your advice is sound. Until then, I think it will prolong his problem. My PF was a continual problem until on the advice of my doctor I started a) wearing supportive shoes in the house (I typically went barefoot prior) and b) put arch supports in my work shoes, rather than just my running shoes. Prior to making those two adjustments, I was using supports in my running shoes, and doing additional stretching/icing/massage in the morning and post-workout. That was getting me day to day and letting me continue to run, but it wasn't helping the problem go away until I made the adjustments in my non-running routine. After healing, I gradually removed the additional supports and started doing more stretches/strengthening exercises, and I have returned to being barefoot around the house, and have had no additional PF issues. Anyway, to directly address the OP: 1) Morning and post-workout foot massage, either via hand or ball of some sort, as mentioned above. 2) Icing after workouts, and possibly mid-day, depending on your level of inflamation. If real ice is inconvenient, you can use a frozen can of something (beans, etc) and roll that along your foot bottom. 3) Shoes inserts for arch support until healed, both running and non-running. 4) Minimize barefoot activity until pain free, and then begin re-introducing in order to strengthen. 5) Ibuprofen after activity, if so inclined. 6) Give yourself at least a day between runs. 7) Be patient. Even if all the above is working, PF is a slow issue to work through. If all of the above does not gradually help, you may have to not run for a bit, but the above is what I used to get through PF while continuing to run. Good luck!
                              thanx crissman....I hate hearing to not run but I know it's probably best...I rode almost 11 miles this morn on the stationary bike to "substitute" for not running and then massaged my foot for about 10 minutes... good advice on here, will have to see what I can do...
                              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                                If you want to continue running while you deal with PF, slow your runs way down.... the harder you run the more it's going to aggravate the plantar fascia. If you just have to do speed work or run a race, warm up with 3-5 miles of slow jogging to help stretch it out.