What's the most amount of money you've spent on an app? (Read 774 times)

--I don't do apps.  

--Might be because I don't have an Ipod, or an Ipad, or an Iphone, or Android...  I have a Blackberry.Big grin

--I think I get along quite well with 0 apps and a phone that I only use as a phone though!  I worry that apps would eventually become more of a burden than a help... 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

an amazing likeness

Seriously...I've been trying to understand the purpose of this question since it was posted. Is it to prove how many many people pay $0 for software they use all the time.  Or is it legitimate research on the tipping point for app pricing? Since Apple only allows the developer to set the first $x of the price...nearly all apps are in a narrow pricing band between $3 - $9.

I've paid over $1m for an app in lifecycle costs...but what's that got to do with anything, the app store price was $0.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MorganaRuns

Slower than you

Seriously...I've been trying to understand the purpose of this question since it was posted. Is it to prove how many many people pay $0 for software they use all the time.  Or is it legitimate research on the tipping point for app pricing? Since Apple only allows the developer to set the first $x of the price...nearly all apps are in a narrow pricing band between $3 - $9.

I've paid over $1m for an app in lifecycle costs...but what's that got to do with anything, the app store price was $0.

Not trying to prove anything and it's not legitimate research. I was just browsing the app store on my new Mac mini and I saw one for $39.99. I didn't look into it any further, but it just made me wonder how much people have paid for apps and whether the apps they bought seemed to be worth the money.

Just a question.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

Upcoming races: AthHalf: 10/20

xor

Ah.  see, this is where stuff gets hazy.

Once upon a time, we all bought "applications" and "programs" and "packages" and things like that for our computers. 

Along comes the iphone and suddenly an "app" is "a little doodad for an iphone that may be free or cheap".  Kinda sorta.

But now we're back to talking about beefier machines and not "little doodads for a phone that may be free or cheap".

I've worked on some multimillion dollar goofy applications on Big Iron mainframes.  Some of that stuff is bad ass when you get to the pricing models.  "per seat" et cetera.

As for personal use, I have spent $399 before.  But mostly way cheaper or free.

On my droid phone, zip.  I'd probably pay a few bucks for a good one. 

If I had an Iphone I'd be all over autostitch and subway shuffle.

CMJHawk86

I spent the money on Pages, Numbers too. I don't remember paying $19.99; I thought they were $9.99 each. In any case, both are great apps and I don't regret either purchase.

On the other hand, I spent a 1.99 on an app called Tuneup to help better organize my iTunes library and it's a total POS. The wasted $2 doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the hour I lost trying to get it to work. Disapprove

And as for "running apps" Runkeeper > the Nike + app that comes with every iPhone. Not even close and it's free.

12-week layoff

Awesome. That's exactly what I need to be able to do. And you haven't experienced any glitches or problems using it?

No glitches so far. When I have mucho extra time, I plan to configure my wireless printer in my classroom so I can dispense with Dropbox.  We are converting to laptops for students in my school next year (we hope) so I should be getting a spanking new MacBook in the Spring. I'll spend the time on the printer then. 

bhearn

$40 for Skysafari Pro, an iPad astronomy app. I would happily have paid double that as its amazing (if you are an astronomy geek).

Sold! I haven't kept up with iPad astronomy software; thanks for saving me the effort. I am looking to get back into astronomy -- my 18" scope has been in storage for quite a while, and has a new home where the skies are fairly dark and it's easy to set up.

As for personal use, I have spent $399 before.  But mostly way cheaper or free.

We charged I think $295 for ClarisWorks 1.0. I'm guessing you didn't buy that.

If I had an Iphone I'd be all over autostitch and subway shuffle.

srlopez is wise. Smile

bhearn

$40 for Skysafari Pro, an iPad astronomy app. I would happily have paid double that as its amazing (if you are an astronomy geek).

OK, awesome app. This makes my iPad way, way more useful. I was considering getting rid of it when the retina iPad Mini shows up. Nope.

But... I can't see how to make it track. The clock advances, but the view does not move, unless you do something like toggle red mode. Or unless you advance time out of sync with realtime.

Zombies! Run was $8 when I bought it...everything else was free or $1.  Looking at some $$ autism therapy apps for the rugrat on our iPad.

Not sure what you're looking for, but I got DoodleBuddy (free) for some quick simple drawing (directional signs) in the field, and later discovered it was great for autistic kids. I got it for one thing, but it's really fun to play with.

Here's a list of apps for autistic students:

http://www.appeducation.com/2012/04/02/10-great-ipad-or-ipod-apps-for-students-with-autism/

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    CeeDotA

$10 for Keynote, and $8 I think for Office HD. Office HD was a waste. Total crap. Glad real Office is coming out for iPad eventually, although in the meantime, I may plunk down the $10 for Numbers.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

I paid $20 for Touchdown for my first android phone back before android supported Microsoft exchange active synch security policies. That was a good app, and worth the 20 bucks for the six months or so before it became obsolete.

Runners run

Jayedw31

+1 for Zombies, Run!

It's the only money I've spent in the Android App Store (Google Play Store now?) But It's totally worth it. Takes some fiddling with to figure out all the features but I really like the interactive audiobook thing they've got going on, especially interspercing my own playlist.

Sadly I have since replaced my phone and don't want to spend another $8 I am now just using regular audiobooks.

perryw

$10 for RunKeeper Pro back when they charged for it.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I try to avoid paying for apps as much as possible.

GC100k

$9.99 on a geocaching app.

Best app purchase I've ever made.

me too.