Marathon Etiquette (Read 2088 times)

I don't care if the person next to me grabs water from the first or last person, but for goodness sake don't throw the cup on the ground as you pass a trash can, especially when your cup is full. Gateraid on my bare legs = not cool
    jersu

re #3) In a race this weekend, I kept leap frogging a guy who had his watch beeping a 180 beat cadence. Watches beeping every now and then, no prob (mine beeps once every mile), but non-stop beeping, now THAT was annoying.

xor

Oh yeah.  The metronome.  GAH.

Here's one that is an annoyance more than a breach of etiquette I guess...

We've all run next to do the dude with the quirky breathing.  Sometimes we call him Steam Engine Guy.

A couple weekends ago, I ran with Snoring Shemp.  You have to be a three stooges fan to understand this.  All the stooges made over-the-top loud comical sounds when they snored.  But Shemp's was special.  His went like this....

(inhale) ... the typical cartoon snore sound

(exhale) ... EEEEEE BEE BEE BEE BEE BEE BEE BEE

I ran with a dude who actually breathed like this, at least the exhale part.  You'd hear him breathe in.  And then like clockwork, EEE BEE BEE BEE BEE BEE.

GAAAAAH

Edited to add:  Oh yeah.  When he wasn't going all Shemp on us, he was telling us about getting into Western States.  So, bhearn, be on the lookout (the hearout?) for Shemp.  And run away. As fast as you can.

A Saucy Wench

Here's one that is an annoyance more than a breach of etiquette I guess...

We've all run next to do the dude with the quirky breathing.  Sometimes we call him Steam Engine Guy.

I set most of my PR's the year I was too close to the same pace as "I sound like I am about to have a heart attack any second" guy.

Come to think of it, I havent seen him at any races for a couple of years....

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

an amazing likeness

(never mind...wasn't a marathon...so off topic, sorry)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The other day I passed a gal who was repeating in a pretty loud stage whisper, "Jesus...Jesus...Jesus...".  Almost every other step she took.  It didn't annoy me, but seemed a bit peculiar.  Whatever gets you there.

re #3) In a race this weekend, I kept leap frogging a guy who had his watch beeping a 180 beat cadence. Watches beeping every now and then, no prob (mine beeps once every mile), but non-stop beeping, now THAT was annoying.

Not marathon, but....

I'll admit to screwing up there on at least one occasion....

I've used my Garmin 305 for biking and running, and I have speed indicator for when I run too fast (< 6:45 / mile) maybe.

I've been in a triathlon before and forgot to prepare the watch by switching the setting from "run" to "bike".  The entire bike ride, obviously, I was riding faster than 6:45 / mile, and I had that alarm buzzing for the entire race.  The other riders were likely annoyed, but I was going too fast to change the setting from "run" to "bike".

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

The other day I passed a gal who was repeating in a pretty loud stage whisper, "Jesus...Jesus...Jesus...".  Almost every other step she took.  It didn't annoy me, but seemed a bit peculiar.  Whatever gets you there.

I noticed that at my top 3-4 races I had some kind of a mantra in my head that I repeated for a ridiculously long time, but that was so soothing to me that it enabled me to push myself while also feeling relaxed.  The weird part is what I was repeating made absolutely no sense.  One was a few words from a cosmetics commercial, one was my gym lock combination.  Whatever gets you there, indeed.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Would it kill you to crumple up the paper cup and throw it to the side? Nah, you just drink one gulp then drop the half-empty cup directly beside you, where it hits the ground and makes a big splat and coats my legs with sugary Gatorade. Because that 0.0015 seconds it would cost you might just keep you off the podium. Gah!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

One was a few words from a cosmetics commercial, one was my gym lock combination.

they say you ultra runners go to some dark places.  but I had no idea. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

they say you ultra runners go to some dark places.  but I had no idea. 

If anyone was listening to her, they might have free access to her locker...but who'd want it?

Kalsarikännit

If anyone was listening to her, 

No.  Just like the rest of the voices, it was all contained in my head.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

kcam

I keep misreading the title of this thread as 'Marquette'.  Just an FYI.

I keep misreading the title of this thread as 'Marquette'.  Just an FYI.

Do they have special rules for that one?  Do you have to speak like a Yooper?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek