I live to eat... a sad and pathetic statement (Read 839 times)

Hoodoo Guru

My mom is 68 and has a host of health problems that would be greatly improved by being active...yet she has every excuse in the book why she "can't."  She won't even take walks because it's boring.  We've offered to get her an iPod and audiobooks for entertainment, but then her excuse is that she doesn't have a computer (because she believes she is too old to learn to use one, which has contributed to her being unable to find employment after being laid-off).

My siblings and I pretty much throw up our hands and use our mom as a cautionary tale.  None of us want to follow in those footsteps.

This is my mother-in-law.  She is 61, overweight, dealing with diabetes and other health issues.  Loves sweets (ding-dongs, ho-hos, twinkies) and refuses to exercise.  Can't walk because of knee, hip or leg pains, all of which are likely caused by being overweight.  Is pleased to have medicine rather than diet to control the diabetes.  Can't wait to retire in one year, which will undoubtedly lead to her sitting on her couch watching TV all day.  She knows this is bad, but says she is "happy" living this way.

Thanks goodness my own parents, ages 81 and 78, are still very active.  Dad still rides his bike into town on nice days, goes to church everyday, has coffee with the guys, goes to the library, volunteers at the local Republican party headquarters, reads, works crossword puzzles. Mom volunteers at the local Boys & Girls Club, walks daily.  They both eat smart and have a daily cocktail at 5 pm out on the screened in deck.  

My wife has to work a lot harder to control her weight.  She has her Mom's sweet tooth and struggles to fight it.  She forbids me bringing certain sweets in the house.  But, she works out daily and in the last 4 months or so has lost about 25 pounds, and weighs less now than when we met. I'm very proud of her.

The tangents are moot.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

My wife has to work a lot harder to control her weight.  She has her Mom's sweet tooth and struggles to fight it.  She forbids me bringing certain sweets in the house.  But, she works out daily and in the last 4 months or so has lost about 25 pounds, and weighs less now than when we met. I'm very proud of her.

Great for her!  I also, just have to keep the stuff out of the house.

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You should be!  Kudos to her!  I come from a long line of short, wide-as-they-are-tall women on my dad's side.  At just under 5'4" I tower over most of these women.  I have struggled with my weight for my entire adult life (which makes me want to punch my MIL in the neck when she is 4.5" taller than me and whines that she's at her lifetime heaviest...and still 5#s lighter than I am).  My sister is obese...lost a lot of weight a year or two ago while exercising and eating carefully, but didn't stick with it when it became expensive to maintain even a cheap gym membership.  I wish I lived closer so that I could get her to run with me.  She'd like to, but has no one to run with and doesn't know where to begin.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

superspike113

Honorary Old

Food addiction is a hard one because you can't just cut yourself off of food cold turkey. As a formerly fat person, I basically had to put myself in the mindset that food is fuel, and it doesn't have to be the most delicious thing I ever ate at every meal.

My dad has had 2 heart attacks and has 5 stents in his arteries. The doctor told him to lose 30+ lbs and not to eat anything white, yet he still cooks everything in bacon grease and baking bread is his hobby. To each his own, my dad just turned 64, and I will be suprised if he makes it another 10 years.

I am working hard to be a good example to my son for exercise and healthy eating, I really think its the best thing you can do for your child.  I know too many people with poor eating habits that feed their kids crap like Ramen and mac N cheese because they haven't set the precedent of eating real food with their kids.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's so frustrating, but we should bear in mind that the urge to eat is about our most primal hardwired behavior.  It's not surprising that a lot of people are unable to find suitable substitute pleasures.  It may be more surprising that we others manage to exercise and stay slim amidst all this bounty.  I don't know why I'm different.

My mom is 68 and has a host of health problems that would be greatly improved by being active...yet she has every excuse in the book why she "can't."  She won't even take walks because it's boring.  We've offered to get her an iPod and audiobooks for entertainment, but then her excuse is that she doesn't have a computer (because she believes she is too old to learn to use one, which has contributed to her being unable to find employment after being laid-off).

My siblings and I pretty much throw up our hands and use our mom as a cautionary tale.  None of us want to follow in those footsteps.

Zoomie, my mom is now 72 and might as well be 92. 

She has given up. She used to be active, but she has COPD. ( but still smokes )

It just breaks your heart, but there is nothing we can do. 

- Anya

I come from a long line of short, wide-as-they-are-tall women on my dad's side.  At just under 5'4" I tower over most of these women.  

Man, I could have written that myself !  You crack me up girl. 

- Anya

Buelligan

It may be more surprising that we others manage to exercise and stay slim amidst all this bounty.  I don't know why I'm different.

One of the biggest surprises about my adulthood was that I managed to stay slim for all of it.  My dad's side of the family is fat, all of them, and I was a fat kid.  I thought I was gonna be fat all my life like my dad and my sister now.  I don't know why I'm different either. 

I'm still kind of surprised I'm what people consider a health and fitness nut.  Nothing about my childhood would have given anyone that impression.  

kateruns

It think it has to do with our thoughts. Let me know what you think of this!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2012/12/thoughts-for-new-year.html

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I don't really think this is a sad or pathetic statement.   There are few things in life as magnificent as a creatively made, fulfilling meal with people you care about.  There is nothing wrong with trying new restaurants or making and sharing meals with others and being passionate about this.  BUT the key here is moderation.  I'm not going to go down to the local French restaurant and have duck confit for lunch everyday.  Just like other wonderful things in life. i.e. sex, there's a point where too much becomes destructive.

I see the statement as expressing a passion about food.  There is nothing sad or pathetic about this passion as long as it is not extended to a destructive result.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see the statement as expressing a passion about food.  There is nothing sad or pathetic about this passion as long as it is not extended to a destructive result.

You must not live in 'murica! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Better I Leave

Well I AM passionate about my food, but yes...it doesn't mean that I live for food. Almost all the dishes I prepare are made from good, organic ingredients and are healthy. This thread "hits home" to me as it appears as if there are those here that have had similar experiences that I have. My "journey" to get healthy and live a healthy lifestyle is further galvanized every time I see my parents. I love them dearly, but both are in their early seventies and in poor health. Why? From lifestyle choices. Bad diets and sedentary lifestyles.