Is there a Marathon Users Group on here? (Read 921 times)

npaden

I tried to search the User Groups for an active Marathon training forum, but am having a hard time finding an active general one.  There seem to be a lot of inactive ones and very specific ones.  I'm sure there's one out there could someone point me in the right direction? 

I signed up for my first marathon May 5, 2013 - The Flying Pig.  I have some questions already believe it or not! Smile

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

an amazing likeness

How about Marathon Training and Discussion as one to check out.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The Flying Pig is a great race.  Did it last year and had a blast.  It's not as hilly as some make it out to be, though it depends on your perspective and where you live, I guess.

I'm half-considering doing it again this year, even though I'm doing a 50K the week before :-P.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

npaden

How about Marathon Training and Discussion as one to check out.

That sounds like a great forum, but it seems pretty dead.  6 posts in 2012 so far. 

I was hoping there was a marathon forum that would have several folks actively posting on it at least on a weekly basis. 

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

The Flying Pig is a great race.  Did it last year and had a blast.  It's not as hilly as some make it out to be, though it depends on your perspective and where you live, I guess.

I'm half-considering doing it again this year, even though I'm doing a 50K the week before :-P.

Thanks for the info.  I am a little worried about the hills, but we have some that we can train on.  Ours are mostly just bigger hills though (we live on the edge of a big canyon so we can run down into and out of the canyon for hill work) and the stuff I read on the Flying Pig sounds like it's the rollers at the end that can get you if you are not prepared.

My wife has done several marathons before and we are signed up to run it together so I'm really looking forward to it.  She has already done Oklahoma City and the Country Music Festival in Nashville and we wanted to do a spring one so we finally decided on the Flying Pig.  It gets really high marks for crowd support and sounds like a fun time.

npaden

Okay, here's my question I was going to ask if I could find a marathon user group.

Okay, I'm making progress on my running over the last year and a half and just signed up for my first marathon. The Flying Pig on May 5, 2013.

I ran my first half marathon back on April 28, 2012 and beat my goal time of a sub 2 hour with a 1:55:43. I've been running pretty steady over the summer and just logged my 8th month with 100+ miles. I've been averaging 30 miles per week with some speedwork mixed in once a week and a 12ish mile long run typically.

My wife is the runner in the family and has been pretty much running all her life. She has run 5 marathons before, but her last one was 10 years ago. Her times were from a 4:47 to a 5:10 on them. She has continued to run and has done several half marathons and ran the last one with me back in April and ran a 2:10:15 which wasn't very far off of her times 10 years ago she ran a 2:08 and 2:03 mixed in when she was running her marathons.

What I'm thinking is that it would be great for us to run my first marathon together and I would like to try to help her break the 4:30 mark. If I was going to run by myself I would think I could get somewhere in the 4:00 range and would spend a lot of time and effort working toward that and stressing about it. I'm thinking if I just focused on helping her break 4:30 and we ran the race together at what I think would be an easy pace for me it would lead to a more enjoyable time for me and maybe be a big help having someone running with her the entire race to help her break 4:30.

She was working full time and coaching back when she ran her marathons and now she is a stay at home mom and our son has just started school this year so I think she will have more time than ever to train and could have a really good shot at it. She's 42 so still plenty young enough to make this happen. I think I might want her to break 4:30 more than she does though.

So that huge long intro to ask if this is something that sounds like it would work or should we just train for it and run our own race when the time comes? That's what we did on my first half marathon back in April and it worked pretty well. I made my goal time, she just ran and enjoyed herself and we both had a good time, we just didn't run the actual race together.

Any thoughts?

Oops--never mind. Wink

an amazing likeness

That sounds like a great forum, but it seems pretty dead.  6 posts in 2012 so far. 

I was hoping there was a marathon forum that would have several folks actively posting on it at least on a weekly basis. 

Go invigorate it, man -- they're waiting for you. Lots of very active and experienced marathoners in that group...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

If you run lots faster than her, then "training together' may cause dsome friction.  Is there a local group of runners you guys can train with?

I always advise running your own race on race day....unless you signed up to be a pacer.  Smile

Runners run

npaden

Okay, I just joined that group and asked the question that I did above. 

I'm just not sure if it is a smart idea to try to run with my wife for my first marathon or not.  In some ways it seems like it would be a good way to break me in on my first marathon without having to stress and worry about making a time goal and I think I really could help her to try to break 4:30 which she has always wanted to do but never been successful at it.

We wouldn't be able to do much training together as she would be doing her runs mostly during the week while our son is at school and I would be doing mine on the weekends, but that is how it will be regardless of whether we run together during the race.

She pretends that it doesn't bother her that I'm new to running and I'm faster that her but I know it does.

npaden

If you run lots faster than her, then "training together' may cause dsome friction.  Is there a local group of runners you guys can train with?

I always advise running your own race on race day....unless you signed up to be a pacer.  Smile

In my own mind I'm thinking this would be like an easy long run day for me, but add 6 miles to it.  A 4:30 marathon comes out to an avg pace right at 10:18 per mile.  My easy pace right now is right around 10:00 or just a hair under.  I'm sure I would need to ramp up my mileage to be able to do that for 26.2 miles, but my main focus would be on just finishing the marathon and feeling good and encouraging her and helping her make her time goal.  Otherwise I would be focusing on going sub 4 hours by myself and that would hurt! Big grin

bhearn

Okay, I just joined that group and asked the question that I did above. 

I'm just not sure if it is a smart idea to try to run with my wife for my first marathon or not.  In some ways it seems like it would be a good way to break me in on my first marathon without having to stress and worry about making a time goal and I think I really could help her to try to break 4:30 which she has always wanted to do but never been successful at it.

I don't think it's so much a question of whether it's a smart idea; its more a question of, do you really want to go through a marathon training cycle and run your first marathon, essentially for someone else and not yourself? Training for your first marathon is generally a big deal. If you can stay motivated enough to train given your goal, then I don't see a problem -- assuming she's good with the idea.

She pretends that it doesn't bother her that I'm new to running and I'm faster that her but I know it does.

Been there...

The fact that my wife is slower than I am (with a 30-minute difference between our HM times) has never really been a big issue with our training together.  I have no problem jogging around at her easy pace; I don't think running my easy runs 30-45s/km slower than I normally would greatly impacts things.  When it comes time to do our workouts, we just split off for a while.  No problemo.   

Racing is another animal altogether.  I have raced alongside my wife exactly once (a 5k), and I don't think either of us want to do that again.  Not that it was a terrible experience exactly; it's just not particularly satisfying for either party.  In the end one person feels like they were undercutting their performance, having trained for a certain race.  And the other person feels resentful that they are working their butt off while some jackass is jogging merrily alongside them.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

#artbydmcbride

.....  And the other person feels resentful that they are working their butt off while some jackass is jogging merrily alongside them.  

This is especially true at mile 23 of a marathon    Big grin

Runners run

npaden

I've actually run the last 6 miles of a marathon with her before. It was her worst one and she was really struggling. I had trained for and run a 5K earlier that morning and then ran the last 6 miles of her marathon with her. At the time it was the longest I'd ever run in one day in my life. She really appreciated it then, not sure she would appreciate it as much if we had run the first 20 miles with her though.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)