Bike Accident (Read 135 times)

Outside Lane

I wanted to burn some calories and enjoy beautiful weather last Friday evening.  Was riding along at about 10 mph on asphalt path and came upon slight turn to left.  I couldn’t stay in path and before I knew it, I was on my ass a few feet past my bike.  It happened so fast.  Spent that night in hospital for observation and pain management - with 3 rib fractures, collarbone fracture and scapula fractures.  On pain meds all week and finally saw orthopedic doc this afternoon.  Nothing requires surgery - but no running for 4 weeks.  Just glad it wasn’t worse.  Hoping it all heals quickly.

See how they run...

kkittenkat

English Villian

Oh no, sorry to hear this. I snapped a rib in the summer, so know how painful they can be! Heal well.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ow ow ow...2 broken bones in my right wrist while mountain biking spelled the end of that sport for me almost exactly 5 years ago.  I still ride roads (paved and gravel), but nothing that involves dodging trees.  You're gonna hurt bad for a while, but the plus is that you didn't break any joint-area bones.  My right wrist ROM has never been the same and it's made my already horrific penmanship truly illegible.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

kkittenkat

English Villian

I'm lucky that in all my years of triathlon, my worst accident only involved dented pride and a few scars.

Outside Lane

Zoom - Chemo?  I’m so sorry to hear that - I hope you are getting through things okay.  I have been here long enough to know you are a strong person and I wish you all the best.

See how they run...

Outside Lane

Thanks - doing okay actually - trying to wean mysel away from pain meds.  Getting some use of left arm already.

Oh no, sorry to hear this. I snapped a rib in the summer, so know how painful they can be! Heal well.

See how they run...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom - Chemo?  I’m so sorry to hear that - I hope you are getting through things okay.  I have been here long enough to know you are a strong person and I wish you all the best.

Yep.  Colorectal cancer at 44.  It killed my dad 3 years ago.  Oddly enough, genetic testing was all negative, so it’s not technically inherited.  I’m stage 3 and doing well.  Surgery in 2.5 weeks, then planning to get back to business in 2018.  I have no plans of following in my dad’s footsteps.  He was already incurable by the time he was diagnosed (because he’d never had a colonoscopy at nearly 70).

~ Sarah Kay

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Bikes are evil stick to running.

Sounds painful.

I am surprised you will be back running so fast.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Yep.  Colorectal cancer at 44. .... I have no plans of following in my dad’s footsteps. 

Zoomy.... prayers for you and your family.  I opened the thread because of the word "bike", and saw your post/message.

Beatleman... ouch!  rest/recover/get back at it when you're ready.  Sounds very painful.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Zoom-zoom: I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I know you'll kick cancer's ass, though. I'll keep you in my thoughts/prayers. --Christine

Outside Lane

Yep.  Colorectal cancer at 44.  ...  I have no plans of following in my dad’s footsteps.  

Sorry about your Dad and so sorry to hear about what you are going through.  Good luck with the surgery.  We have never met but from your posts here on RA (I have been here a while too), I sense you have the strength and attitude needed to kick this in the butt!  I wish you all the best zoom-zoom.

See how they run...

dennrunner

Yep.  Colorectal cancer at 44.  It killed my dad 3 years ago.  Oddly enough, genetic testing was all negative, so it’s not technically inherited.  I’m stage 3 and doing well.  Surgery in 2.5 weeks, then planning to get back to business in 2018.  I have no plans of following in my dad’s footsteps.  He was already incurable by the time he was diagnosed (because he’d never had a colonoscopy at nearly 70).

I hope all goes well for you Zoomy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, folks.  I'm in good hands and feel better now than I did 1-2 years ago.  Now I'm just antsy to put 2017 in my rearview.

~ Sarah Kay