Many times we make training more complex than necessary (Read 270 times)

This is a good (very short) article on the basics of training. The hard, easy, easy approach with long runs counted as a hard session is pretty much the foundation of how I train, with the long progression run a go-to marathon/half marathon workout.

http://www.levelrenner.com/2013/10/02/the-long-run-revisited/

Runners run

This is a good (very short) article on the basics of training. The hard, easy, easy approach with long runs counted as a hard session is pretty much the foundation of how I train, with the long progression run a go-to marathon/half marathon workout.

Thanks, Mikey.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

Pretty much agree with this article.  Especially the Hard/Easy/Easy approach, I always try to give myself at least two 'easy' days after a hard run and I always count a long run as a 'hard' effort even if it is LSD.  Problem for me (and of course, everyone knows this) is that Hard/Easy is not discrete - more like a continuous level of effort ranging from Easy--------------------------->Hard.  You're really always somewhere in between the two endpoints.  That's the difficulty of managing training that I've found.

The thing that always throws me, even after many years of running, is what really should I consider 'Easy' at any given point in my training?  If I do some strides or short intervals or even drills in the midst of what is supposed to be an 'easy' day in the middle of my marathon build did I just move that day to the 'hard side of the ledger?  I'm always evaluating and re-evaluating where I am in terms of recovery.  I believe I think more about recovery runs than I do about the 'hard' workouts, seems to work pretty well for me.

No Talent Drips

"Consistency over many years is probably the key to success at all distances"

This is what I'm working on now. I've been an "on-one-year, off-the-next" guy for too many years. Thanks for the article...

Dei Gratia

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

His plan is a little more specific than "run lots; mostly slow, sometimes fast" (which is my secret formula), but it's got a lot of good points.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Nice article. I was hooked, until he talked about running a 5:44 pace for 26.2 ... Shocked

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Queen of 3rd Place

Right to the point...thanks.

Ex runner

Joann Y

Thanks man!

running metalhead

What? No intervals in logarithmic progression? No resolving calculus problems during the lactate runs? No reciting classic greek poetry aloud during the strides?
                    OMG! I got it all wrong then :_(

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

No resolving calculus problems during the lactate runs?

This is integral to my training regime.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

This is integral to my training regime.

We all have our limits.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

... with the long progression run a go-to marathon/half marathon workout.

I ran a bad race tactically, but I just LOVED these last fall.  Good stuff (and so is the link).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks, Mikey.

steph  

Joann Y

I realize that it is the general idea that counts here, but to get more specific, how is this a 9 day cycle? Why not a 3 day cycle? Is it that one should be incorporating different types of "hard days" in the 3 hard days of the 9 day cycle? (that seems to make sense) or something else?

DaBurger

I realize that it is the general idea that counts here, but to get more specific, how is this a 9 day cycle? Why not a 3 day cycle? Is it that one should be incorporating different types of "hard days" in the 3 hard days of the 9 day cycle? (that seems to make sense) or something else?

yes, the general idea is to rotate a long run, tempo, and speed workout as the hard workout days.  The big thing here, is that you're identifying the long run as a key workout, and giving it recovery space.

MTA: some people do combo workouts, hill repeats, Michigan's etc, but I'm trying to go along with the KISS theme

Know thyself.