P90x (Read 6266 times)

I am glad you feel that way.  Belief is important.  However, belief does not equal truth or reality, and in a sense, belief is a counter point to evidence.  That is, we have belief and feeling for where we don't have science.  In this case we do have pretty good science.  For example, a sugar filled latte contains protein, carbs and caffeine.  It is made from milk and there is actually some good science published in the peer reviewed literature that shows milk, even chocolate milk, is better for recovery than simple sports drinks.  So there is no data to support an assertion that some supplement is better than a latte, and I am not sure that the assertion even has face validity.  And I am certain the latte tastes better.

Supplement?  What does it actually "supplement"?

I am not sure what you want me to say.  Do you just want to argue?  I do not. I guess I should say that you keep drinking your grande latte's and I will keep drinking my Shakeology.  Are you saying a sugar filled latte is good for you?  Tell that to my friend with diabetes.  There is always going to be someone on both sides of the fence on any topic: including supplements, weight lifting, medication, running etc. And for taste, well, that is a matter of opinion as well but my green berry smoothie is awesome and I have had a latte and Shakeology.   I am ok with any opinion you may have.  But for the record here is what is in a grande latte. 

Serving Size 16 fl. oz.

Amt Per Serving
    Calories  190
    Fat Calories  60
    Total Fat (g)  7
    Saturated Fat (g)  4.5
    Trans Fat (g)  0
    Cholesterol (mg)  30
    Sodium (mg)  150
    Total Carbohydrates (g)  18
    Fiber (g)  0
    Sugars (g)  17
    Protein (g)  12
    Vitamin A  15%
    Vitamin C  0%
    Calcium  40%
    Iron  0%
    Caffeine (mg)  150

and I even uploaded the label for Shakeology for you so you can be your own judge.

Shakeology supplement facts.   I know for me I would rather have probiotics,barley, wheat, oat and kamut grass, green tea extract, flax seed meal, chia seed, quinoa, maca powder, sacha inchi, blue green algae, camu-camu powder,pomegranate powder,goji powder, acai powder,maitake powder,blueberry powder and so much more.  This is boring so I will stop now.

I would much rather talk about how you guys/gals are doing with P90X.........

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Where is the science?

Shakeology has 17 grams of carbs.  How is that any better than a latte with the same?

Where is the science?

Shakeology has 17 grams of carbs.  How is that any better than a latte with the same?

I would suggest you google each individual ingredient to get the answer you are looking for.  What's wrong with carbs?  Try running a race without them.

xor

"I know for me I would rather have probiotics,barley, wheat, oat and kamut grass, green tea extract, flax seed meal, chia seed, quinoa, maca powder, sacha inchi, blue green algae, camu-camu powder,pomegranate powder,goji powder, acai powder,maitake powder,blueberry powder and so much more."

Uh... why?

A latte has steamed milk (or soy milk) and coffee.  Maybe some processed sugar, especially if it is flavored.

At least I know what the hell those things are and roughly the +/- of how that will impact my body. 

Mind you, I actually take a few supplements, make my own protein shakes, and I've been known to enjoy a smoothie.  But I don't do it because it has a list of very spooky sounding miracle ingrediments.

chia seed?  Will it make my hair grow out green?

Acai?  Ah yes, wonderful antioxidant powers.  This stuff might be great, I dunno.

Gotta love that blue green algae.  You know it's made from people, right?

It is an overpriced shake that offers up a bunch of "stuff".

A latte is an overpriced coffee drink that offers up fewer types of "stuff".

If I have to pick, I'll stick with the latte.

It still feels like you are trying to sell me stuff, so please understand my desire to shield myself.

xor

I would suggest you google each individual ingredient to get the answer you are looking for.  What's wrong with carbs?  Try running a race without them.

Yes, because the "information" returned by google from the internet will be full of useful truths.

As for carbs and racing, you seem to have missed the point.  It isn't that Shakeology has carbs.  It's that it has about the same carbs as a latte.  And since we know that carbs have a place, from that perspective a latte is just about as useful to us.

Imminent Catastrophe

probiotics,barley, wheat, oat and kamut grass, green tea extract, flax seed meal, chia seed, quinoa, maca powder, sacha inchi, blue green algae, camu-camu powder,pomegranate powder,goji powder, acai powder,maitake powder,blueberry powder and so much more.  This is boring so I will stop now.

Fruit powders and grains are good but really, most of that stuff has absolutely no clinical evidence supporting it. Then again they probably won't hurt you either (other than financially). 

ANyway it's just a discussion. That's what we do here. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's wrong with carbs? 

Ask your friend with diabetes.

Are you saying a sugar filled latte is good for you?  Tell that to my friend with diabetes.

i sacrificed the gift

If you want to get all nutritionalistic, fructose vs lactose makes the latte a much better choice for a diabetic than the frankenstein shake anyway.
                  Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                  Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                  Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The shake thingie also has 7 grams of fat in it.  My latte has none.
                      In any event, Happy New Year to all.  Nice little discussion to start the new year off.  I'm going to get my latte now. And the latte has at least 7 grams of fat in it.
                      xor

Your latte sucks.  Go have a blueberry bagel.

MrH

.MrH--what supplement makes you able to lift up that horse? I gotta get me some of that!

I wouldn't know. I'm the horse.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

i sacrificed the gift

The fat is the best part.  I urge you to get a whole milk latte next time.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                            Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                            Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                            xor

The fat is the best part.  I urge you to get a whole milk latte next time.

See, you are all helpful and supportive.  I took the opposite approach.

I must be grumpy today.

xor

And the latte has at least 7 grams of fat in it.

coffee = 0 grams of fat

steamed nonfat milk = less than 1 and probably 0 grams of fat.  Made with soy milk, maybe 4ish grams of fat.

You don't have to get the fatted-up lattes, though they do taste better.

And they don't have soylent green.