Cortisone Shot (Read 84 times)

I know cortisone shots are not good for you, but for the medical peeps, do you know if an ER or urgent care would give a cortisone shot?  Between what I'm experiencing and discussion with my PT over a week ago. I'm pretty sure I have ischial bursitis syndrome on the right and I can hardly sit at this point.  The exercises he gave me and icing and ibu are doing nothing, I don't know when I'll be able to get into a doc, and I have an 8-hr ride in my future come Thursday.  I'm grasping at straws, but I don't want to spend the $$ for an ER / urgent care visit if they're going to tell me they can't do anything.

Let me add, where I live it can up to 2 to 4 weeks to get into a doctor, unless it's your primary.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Best Present Ever

Pretty unlikely to get the cortisone shot in either place.   And honestly, you don't want someone who doesn't do a lot of these.  FWIW, I've had luck getting in quickly by calling and getting an appointment (often a month or more away) with the specialized running clinic.  I then call every morning and ask if they've had a cancellation.

Thank you ~~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

No.  Urgent care centers or ERs will not do a cortisone shot.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Thanks for the info ~~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

I know cortisone shots are not good for you, but for the medical peeps, do you know if an ER or urgent care would give a cortisone shot?  Between what I'm experiencing and discussion with my PT over a week ago. I'm pretty sure I have ischial bursitis syndrome on the right and I can hardly sit at this point.  The exercises he gave me and icing and ibu are doing nothing, I don't know when I'll be able to get into a doc, and I have an 8-hr ride in my future come Thursday.  I'm grasping at straws, but I don't want to spend the $$ for an ER / urgent care visit if they're going to tell me they can't do anything.

Let me add, where I live it can up to 2 to 4 weeks to get into a doctor, unless it's your primary.

I have had bursitis and tendonitis in this area. Definitely have a sports doc or ortho do this. Some may be reluctant. Could you have a tendonitis component too? Overuse etc. Be careful, as I had both issues and then developed into tendonopathy and a 7 year deal of chronic pain and soreness in that area. I know what you're feeling-not fun! BTW, cortisone helped me a lot but after a 30 day failure on NSAIDS but issues came back which is why I ask if there may be a tendonitis component.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Pelvis was a bit off kilter, which resulted in a stress on the right hamstring, which resulted in the bursitis.  Only I didn't know it could possibly be bursitis until my PT had worked on eliminating all other possibilities.  The hamstring issue is resolving to a certain degree, but I suspect it would get even better if the bursitis wasn't an issue.  I'm desperate for some relief because I can barely sit at this point.  Makes me wish my office had followed through on a stand/sit desk option as requested. 

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

HappyFeat

Have you tried sitting on a heating pad? That was one of the last things I tried and finally turned the corner on the problem awhile back. The problem was gone for several years, but lately I've had a few times I felt like it's coming back.  So I use the heating pad again and things get better.  It was a suggestion to me from a fellow ischial bursitis sufferer.  (I tried everything except the shot.) Hope you get a handle on it soon.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.