Torn Psoas - PRP Injection? (Read 38 times)

Scott H

Hello Everyone.

I discovered I have a torn psoas muscle where it meets the tendon, in the lower groin area (found with an ultrasound).  Sports doc I'm seeing recommended a  PRP injection.

I'm looking for opinion / advice on how PRP has worked on running injuries - what I should expect, any comparison to much less expensive prolo injections....

Thanks

ChristineO

14 weeks ago - I had a series of PRP injections for a torn hamstring (right where it attaches to the seat bone).  It wasn't a complete tear, but a 3 cm tear.  It had been torn for close to 2 years and I kept running and riding (horse) with it.  I had one injection, then a week later had a second one.  The jury is still out, as to whether it helped or not. I'd like to THINK it did - but I never took 8 weeks off completely from all activities, except for after the injections.

For ME - the injections were extremely painful. I have a high pain tolerance. With these injections, they really don't numb the area, and you can't take anything but Tylenol before/after the injection.  For two days following, I couldn't even walk. The pain was very intense. It wasn't quite as bad after the second injection. I followed instructions and did very minimal activities for two weeks following the injection, then gradually started rehab at week 4.  The injection created new pain.  And through rehabbing, there were new aches and pains.

But now - 14 weeks after the first injection, I am feeling positive about it.  There is residual pain in my hamstring, but not in the torn area. My long run is back up to 10 miles, I still don't have my speed back though.  I just started running trails and hills again, and it's feeling pretty good.  It may have taken me longer to start to feel better because mine was injured for so long. It was NOT a pleasant experience and I'm taking it slow as I don't want to ever go through it again.

During my recovery - I did PT, continued with my deep tissue massage, and had Graston done.  On an interesting side note - I had a friend who had 1 PRP injection to her hamstring that was torn in the same location two weeks prior to me getting mine done. I did not know this going into it. It was interesting to compare our procedures. She only had one injection.  She said it was uneventful (whereas my injections were extremely painful).  Her recovery process was basically Graston to the injured area (my PT was dead set against Graston - but Graston is one of my 'go to' things).

My BCBS did not cover the injections and they were $189 a piece.

Sorry this got long. But there isn't much info on the net regarding this.  I did a ton of research.  Seems every doctor has different recommendations with the PRP injections.  Mine wasn't even going to suggest PT. But I insisted.  PT just went off U of W written/published instructions, as they hadn't really dealt with it before.  My friend and I both had different Ortho docs and different PT's. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from getting the injection(s).  We've been doing this same procedure on our injured show horses for years, so I was comfortable with knowing it works on the horses!

Scott H

Thank you for your detailed answer....very helpful.  I've heard a similar thing from someone else that PRP varies by dr to dr.   My original injury i believe happened 15 yrs ago and i just started running a few yrs ago.  I think it's never healed properly and i was never diagnosed correctly till now.  My PT and Dr. are in the same office - so for me they are already working together.   Thx again for your input.   Fingers crossed....

SMART Approach

I think you should do it. They may also do fenestration (poking tendon with needle multiple times). This is what my doc did for my tendonosis in upper hammys. My doc found micro tears under musculoskeletal ultrasound machine. She showed me on the monitor. She injected PRP while poking the tendon multiple times.  More than likely your condition is non inflammatory and tendons are like diseased meat with micro tears and chronically sore. Need some new vibrant tissue there.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com