Beginner Runner/Knee pain (Read 979 times)

Okay, I need more advice! I have been running for about 5 weeks working toward my first 5K. Over the last couple of weeks I have experienced knee pain in both legs. The pain is at the inside of my knee about level with the bottom of my knee cap. Is this normal for a beginner? Will it get better? Will it get worse? What should I do to make it better? I am really enjoying the running, but I am concerned about the knee pain and whether it will prevent me from going further with my training. Confused
    James
      There are lots of reasons for knee pain. I am experiencing it as well, and mine was caused by over exertion and over training. Some things to consider: How old are your shoes? and do they fit properly? Do you wear orthodics? Are you being too agressive with your training? There is a good program of c to 25K on this site. Are you stretching properly? You may want to do a search on some of the forums for commonality of experiences.
        I can only answer for myself and tell you that when i started (back) to running in March, I had numerous knee pains (mostly solved with Advil).....and they have now seemed to go away recently. I think they went away because of increased mileage and they toughened up and more importantly, I got a new pair of quality running shoes (NB 1223)....You might first start by checking your shoes and make SURE you are wearing good ones.......Quality shoes make the difference.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I have a good pair of running shoes so I don't think it is shoe related. The pain is still minimal and at this point I haven't even taken advil for it. My wife runs with me and she also had a similar pain that has almost gone away. Hopefully mine will as well. Any other thoughts out there?
          James
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I was checking out your log. You started running 6 miles a week in early June. Were you doing any running before that? Running involves a lot of impact and jarring on your joints; it takes about 6 weeks for your body to get used to that, even if you already have the cardiac base.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

If you have good, quality running shoes, then you are probably overtraining and putting in too many miles with allowing your body the time to adapt. Back off on the mileage a bit for a couple of weeks, see how it goes, then slowly start to increase it. We've all been where you are - the excitement of being a new runner (and for me, finding out I actually liked it!). Don't let the excitement make you push yourself too hard. Oh - are you running on asphalt or sidewalks? If you're on the sidewalks, get off of them. Cement is one of the worst possible surfaces you can run on. It has absolutely no give and will eventually tear you down. Good luck!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I was not doing any running before I started in June. I am using a "novice" 5k training plan from Hal Higdon. It is an 8 week plan to train for a 5k. I am going to run a 5k after the sixth week because it is the only one in my area around this time. I try to run on asphalt as much as possible however I have to run on concrete to get to the asphalt. On the 2.5 mile course I run right now, about .75 miles is concrete and the rest is asphalt.
                James
                HeavyDSteffe

It sounds like you you may have patella femoral syndrome. This is an overuse injury and there are a few theories on its cause. Most of the literature focuses on a strength imbalance in the quadriceps muscles from running without any complimentary strength training or other cross-training. As a personal trainer and now physical therapist I advised clients/patients to begin doing squats (bodyweight...no extra weight) a couple times a week on your off days. When you get good at the squats, try some single legged squats to increase the challenge.
                  Spingoddess

If your shoes and biomechanics are ok (no twisting when you run, good leg strength, etc), then it is probably just overuse. Most training plans like Higdons' assume that you have some kinnd of running base before you start. I agree that squats and other quad strengthening exercises should help, because most knee pain comes from weak quad muscles or an imbalance between quads and hamstrings. Good luck.
                    If we work hard at something we are passionate about, we might be rewarded with a few thrilling moments of perfection. John Bingham
                      It sounds like you you may have patella femoral syndrome. This is an overuse injury and there are a few theories on its cause. Most of the literature focuses on a strength imbalance in the quadriceps muscles from running without any complimentary strength training or other cross-training. As a personal trainer and now physical therapist I advised clients/patients to begin doing squats (bodyweight...no extra weight) a couple times a week on your off days. When you get good at the squats, try some single legged squats to increase the challenge.
                      I had a similar knee issue to the one you're describing in Week 3 of C25K and the preliminary diagnosis from my sister (a PT) was this patella femoral syndrome (your kneecap is getting offtrack). It sidelined me for a week when I tried to run through the pain. I bought new shoes and that made a big difference, and for about a week or two after I got back to running I iced my knees after my run. I also slowed my pace down from 5.5 mph to 5.0, and I have since added swimming as a cross-training activity. Once in awhile I get a little residual knee pain after a run or, a few weekends ago I walked a 10K trail with a LOT of hills and my knees were sore after that. Anytime I feel the slightest twinge of discomfort I pop and aleve and ice it. Good luck!
                      2009 Goals:
                      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                      Run a 10K
                      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                      Complete my first Sprint Tri
                      theyapper

On the road again...

I peeked at your log, too, and I'd say it's simply a matter of too much, too soon, and quite possibly, too fast. If you're only goal is to run this 5K and then never run again, then by all means keep going as fast as you can. You'll be done in a few weeks and then you can recover the rest of your life. Wink But if you want to make running a lifestyle, then what's the hurry? I see a lot of 10-11 m/m in there and even one in the 9 m/m range, plus 2 days of tempo training. Having never run before, with a base of only 32 miles, you have no need to do any kind of speed training. You might even consider switching your training program to the Couch to 5k that many here have done/are doing (the link is in my sig). It is much more friendly for someone who has never run before. I'm proof. I started running about 4 months ago. You could still do the 5k, but I'd say aim to run it in 35-40 minutes and maybe even walk some. No sense tearing your body up this early in your new lifestyle.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul