5K PR-Puked-Disappointed (Read 864 times)

Certifiably Insane

GREAT job, Debbie! You blew away your old 5K PR by 1:42! How many other people can say that? I sure can't! And look at it this way...You have guaranteed that the other people at the finish will remember you. Big grin Oh, and was that previous PR on the same course? Not all 5K courses were created equal. This one may have been slower or longer than the other course. I have a quote that I use before a race that really helps motivate me. I don't remember who said it originally, but it went "Today, you may run faster than me, but you will not run harder." By puking at the finish, you've proven that to everyone who finished in front of you. Be proud of how you did! Smile Write that 37:02 beside your training log, where you'll see it often. Let it keep bugging you. Have that as your next goal. Keep it in your head during your hard runs. In your next 5K, keep telling yourself that you're going to smash that time. I think you'll be the proud owner of a new sub-37:00 PR before you know it. Smile Good luck, and keep at it!
    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Certifiably Insane

Slaptear, I LOVE your avatar! He looks suspiciously like me... Big grin How is the job hunt going? Any luck yet?
      On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
        Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I knew this would be about the only place where my puking could be appreciated. It is the next morning, and I do feel better about my race. Its still not the same excitement as other times I have PR'ed. But I am definitely motivated to try another 5K again soon! As soon as the memory of the pain of this one fades a little. Smile
          the place to find the 3 seconds is in the beginning when you were under 10 minute pace. if you didnt even notice you were doing it, it should be a fine pace for you.me, personally, i run much faster when i force myself to go beyond my comfort zone. theres only so much faster you can run the second half, but if you learn to get out hard AND finish hard, the times will plummit. example, my pr in the 800 used to be 2:09, and that was absolutly all out, the best i could muster. but at one point toward the beginning of that half mile race i told myself to relax and i coasted through 400 meters at 62 seconds, pretty quick, and i kicked hard and ran a 67 last .25. my coach liked that performance and put me on the 4x800 team for indoor states, and he told all of us to get out harder than wed ever done before. that combined with the adrenaline from the scope of the race led me to go out in 58.8 seconds for the first 400, 1 TENTH OF A SECOND OFF MY 400 PR! i was exhausted, but i realized if i suck it up and just fight the pain, i can do amazing. turns out my second 400 was 65, an even faster finish than the week before. i ran 2:03.7, 5.3 seconds off of a race that lasts just over 2 minutes is unheard of. proportionally, thats like 32 seconds off a 5k pr at one time. point is, you dont know what you can do until one time you go out there and start at a pace that you're 99% sure you can't maintain the entire race, and do it anyways and test you're limits. GOOD LUCK!
            Hi Debbie, awesome job on your PR!!! It's actual a double PR (personal record AND puking race) Clowning around As for getting so close, I totally understand. I finished my first 10K in 60:00:33. Yes, that's 33/100ths of a second. And I didn't puke so I know I could have found it. Thing is you don't know how close you are until the results are posted. Important thing is we're still running and having a blast doing it! Congrats on your PR Smile
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              Then came the last 20 yards. The dry heaves started. I have had this happen before and was able to hold on through the finish and not puke. Well, today I made it through the finish, but the clock said 37:02. And then I bent over and puked. I hear the ewws from the crowd, but at that point what can you do.
              WOW --- I'm so proud of you. I have come across the finish line in pretty bad shape a few time, but I have never puked......your one up on me (I'm so jealous).....Big grinShockedBig grin I definitely understand what you mean about the 3 seconds - last September I trained specifically for a 5k race and expected to bust 27:00 (and even thought a 26:00 could happen)......but at that time I had never broken 27:00 in the 5K. To make a long story short, I ended up with a time of 27:00 FLAT ----- my goal was to break 27:00 and I still cant believe that I couldn't find one lousy second out there somewhere in a 5K course.....I have great compassion for your 3 second disappointment... Hey --- You still crushed your old PR -- now you have a clear goal to find those 3 seconds next race and more....(there is no doubt in my mind that you can do it next time around). Your doing GREAT so don't be disappointed.............and you puked........that's so cool....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Debbie -- i was just glancing it your running log and if you can add a couple more days of running, but only run 1 to 1.5 miles on those extra days ---- slow easy pace --- nothing exciting......I'll bet it would make a noticeable difference in your times... Do what you are doing and add two more easy days (if you can work them in) and you will get your 3 seconds (and probably more)....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'll second John's advice above. Somone once told me when I was starting to run to never take 2 days off in a row. You start to lose the conditioning you worked so hard for on your previous run after about 48 hours. Not sure how much it's true, but I sure feel sluggish if I take more than a day off from running. Even very easy 1-2 miles of walking is better than a complete day off.
                    Debbie - congratulations on your PR! As some have said, you know you pushed your body to its limits when you puke at the finish line. And as one who has done this more often than I would like... I know it doesn't feel all awesome and glorious. The last time I puked was at a recent 5k (and it wasn't even a PR), but I passed this 13 yr old kid in the last 0.1 mile, crossed the line, and was bent over dry heaving... well he crossed the finish and immediately started crying, so it was quite a scene. However, I think he took a little bit of pleasure seeing what the race did to me because he quit crying pretty quickly. Big grin
                      Debbie -- i was just glancing it your running log and if you can add a couple more days of running, but only run 1 to 1.5 miles on those extra days ---- slow easy pace --- nothing exciting......I'll bet it would make a noticeable difference in your times... Do what you are doing and add two more easy days (if you can work them in) and you will get your 3 seconds (and probably more)....
                      Hey John, Thanks for the input. I was up to four days of running prior to my half in Feb. Then the last 7 weeks I cut back my mileage and days because I added in some pretty serious weight lifting. I was just trying it out to see how my body responded. Well, it responded with wanting 2 hour naps in the afternoon, dreading workouts and not enjoying my running as much. Its funny you mention adding the extra days in because I have just decided to go back to 4 days and lay off the weights. I figure I will stick with what I am enjoying for now, so that I actually stick with it! In addition to my 4th running day I am also going to be doing a 3 mile hike every few weeks. So that will add a 5th day in some times, though I probably won't count it towards my mileage. Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement! I love this place!

uncontrollable

Maybe this will make you feel better: 5K, not nearly a PR, dry heaved one step away from the finishing shoot. Lame. Oh well.

peace

Great job debbie! I had the same experience in my last 5k. I ran 27:04... A PR for me...(4 or 5 yrs ago i cud not even run 1/4 mile) But man just 4 seconds. On the bright side i will hopefully get to break 27 soon... Puking is fun... Did that one a few times on solo runs!
                          http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com

SMART Approach

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I knew this would be about the only place where my puking could be appreciated. It is the next morning, and I do feel better about my race. Its still not the same excitement as other times I have PR'ed. But I am definitely motivated to try another 5K again soon! As soon as the memory of the pain of this one fades a little. Smile
                            Debbie, Good for you. Great job! If you race a 5K once or twice a month your times will go down big time not only because of conditioning but also race experience. It is tough for inexperienced racers to hold back that first 1/2 mile and it hurts most runners. Or I should say, inexperienced racers start too fast and believe me, experienced runner do also. If you run that first mile in 12 minutes, you wouldn't have a problem breaking 37 min. 36 min is in reach soon. Next time warm up a bit more, do a few quick striders and off you go but hold back a bit the first mile until the adrenaline burns off. It is such a high when you can physically pick it up the last 1/2 mile and pass runners and sprint finish. You can make up a lot of time that last mile if you don't hammer that first mile.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com