Stress Fracture of the Ischium - Advice? (Read 146 times)

Christirei

Well,  I have been pretty good for the last month, light biking on a stationary bike, PT exercises that concentrated on hamstring and glutes and core...all the right stuff. Went in finally for an X-ray because pain was not getting better and the doc saw some demineralization in the ischium in my pelvis, so he ordered an MRI to figure out what was causing the inflammation that would lead to this and the MRI came back clear.

I was pretty frustrated by that, it makes me feel like I am making this all up or that i am being a big baby and the pain is nothing more than just being sore or something. Will go back to the PT and see if there is anything else he recommends, but I was just done with it all so did a very light and easy three miles this morning on my treadmill....and didn't feel any different. leg/butt still aches, but not any worse than it did before i started

just wanted to let you all know what my progress was, thanks for all of the advice!!

SMART Approach

Well, now it sounds like tendonosis or diseased tendon. This would not light up on an MRI as tendonosis is non inflammatory and causes chronic pain. Have a sports medicine doc or ortho use musculoskeletal ultrasound on area and it should show up. It did for me. A combo of PRP, strengthening and higher dose Vit D solved my issues but took a year. I am not saying it is tendonosis/high hamstring tendonapathy but something to consider since nothing lights up on an MRI.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SMART Approach

Well, now it sounds like tendonosis or diseased tendon. This would not light up on an MRI as tendonosis is non inflammatory and ca cause chronic pain. Have a sports medicine doc or ortho use musculoskeletal ultrasound on area and it should show up. It did for me. A combo of PRP, strengthening and higher dose Vit D solved my issues but took a year. I am not saying it is tendonosis/high hamstring tendonapathy but something to consider since nothing lights up on an MRI.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Christirei

Tchuck

Actually, the irony is that my chiro told me the same thing about two months ago, but I didn't believe her!!! I trust her opinion on a lot of things, but since she was telling me to stop running for a while I just dismissed it. You said that it took a year to resolve the issues, what were you able to do doing that year? I tried some water aerobics yesterday and it was pretty sore afterwards, I tried two short very easy runs and it was very painful and that's after a whole MONTH off of running. I have a stationary bike and so far it seems okay when I use  it. What type of workouts were you able to do??

SMART Approach

There were only a couple times where I actually took lengthy time off. I took a month off after cortisone injections in 2007 and 2008 which back then the pain for more intense and inflammatory so cortisone really provided relief. After the PRP injections in late 2012, the doc said I only had to be off running for a week. I actually did not run for 2 weeks. I never biked as that irritated the area. I focused on Stairmaster or elliptical which did not really bother it.  After 2008, it was more of a constant nagging ache especially during and after runs. It would resove itself a bit between runs but always there. Tendonosis causes pain as the diseased tendon is irritated and also the healthy parts of tendon work more.

I noticed benefit by March/April of 2013 but maybe only a 30-40% benefit. At 6 months a bit more. I started taking 5,000 iu of Vit D3 in September of 2013. By January I noticed a pretty significant improvement that continued over the next 12 months after. I think it took that long for my diseased tendons to resolve. During this time, I continued to do my exercises and glute work and could finally do lunges again and things I avoided because it flat out hurt to do. I have increased my hammy stretching which again I could not do years back because it just flat out hurt to stretch it.

I can't stress enough to focus on your glutes when running and really develop that mind/body connection. You need the glutes doing more work during your runs to take pressure off hammys. Do exercises standing, glutes stuff, half squats, lunges, hip extension with cables or bands. I also do warm up stuff to this day before running to wake up glutes and dynamic movements to increase body temp to avoid microtearing from runs. I have tons of cushions, infrared heating pads, ultrasound and other modalities all through the house.

I get the question, why Vit. D3. Well, all I can say is cranking the dose of this is the only major thing I did differently over the years. If you do some research on it, it is very valuable in many hormonal functions throughout the body and can help improve muscle strength. The muscle connects to the tendon which connects to the bone. I don't know the mechanism, but I continue to take it daily. I have done multiple races this year with no issues in my upper hammys other than normal soreness which resolves quickly.