Since nearly no one is talking about it... (Read 1266 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for that address, Doug. Those families likely will need some financial assistance.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I don't get this thread.

I don't recall similar threads and discussions about people needing money for similar stuff.  Heck, we've had several crazy shootings in Seattle over the past few years.  Including a dude who shot up the Jewish Federation a few years back.  A dude who shot up a house full of kids after a rave.  Dude (Maurice Clemons) who walked into a coffee house and killed multiple cops.  And most recently, a dude who shot up a coffee house (and then an innocent bystander several miles away because he wanted her car).

I feel really bad about this one, but this feels like a strange overcompensation.  Or something.

It is ALL OVER the news here.  And people are talking about it because it was evil and it sucked.

I feel like I'm being lectured because I've done something wrong.

I wasn't really planning on posting anything about this.  I guess I was trying to say if people really want to say something then say it in a letter to the community affected.  Or send something to help their families.  Several fathers are gone.  I only posted that so people could have some outlet rather than on a running site that nobody affected will ever see. 

(appologies if it came across any other way.  I'm sure there are similar funds for officers killled or wounded.  I expect people can find those if they have the mind to do it.)

xor

To be clear, my comment is about this thread in general... certainly not about the posting of an address, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.  People can choose to express sympathy and provide if they wanna, or not.

To be clear, my comment is about this thread in general... certainly not about the posting of an address, ...

+1.

The thread gives the impression that I'm doing something wrong or thinking wrong.

Or, that we, as an American public, are doing something wrong or thinking wrong.

(FWIW, Drudge had reported at 12:30 CST yesterday with his "police siren" in the largest font he presents to his readers, but there wasn't enough information to describe the whole story).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't get this thread....I feel like I'm being lectured because I've done something wrong.

Yeah.

Feeling the growl again

I feel like I'm being lectured because I've done something wrong.

Apparently, if you were not talking about this you are a bigot.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

Shooter id'd                 -  Wade Michael Page, ex-military dishonourably discharged (some reports say), known white supremacist

Runners run

DoppleBock

I do not go on facebook, but media wise here it has gotten a lot of attention

As much or more than every other horrible similar event, except the Batman shooting in CO.

I do have a question:  Do you think people have the same horror or emotional response when a car bomb goes off in the Middle East?  I believe the event is just as bad, just as horrible, but I also believe people feel an emotional distance or shelter from an event that far away.

It appears from early news that the shooter had some hate for Muslims stemming from 911 - Not sure why he would attack Sihks, other than ignorance.  So much hate in the world - Only way to fight back is to show people love in return.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shooter id'd                 -  Wade Michael Page, ex-military dishonourably discharged (some reports say), known white supremacist

I'm generalizing about white supremacists here, but given that they're often not particularly learned or enlightened,   I think there's a real possibility that this asshole was targeting Arab Muslims and was too ignorant to know a turban does not a Muslim make.  Not that a case of mistaken religious/cultural identity makes any of this any better.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

DoppleBock

I have never understood this stuff.  I used to work in a factory (1987-1990) and our wages were pretty low - I earned $6/ hour.  Many of the workers hated on the recent influx of immigrants from Laos.  I tried to understant the root of the issue and the only thing I could come up with was the new immigrants were renting the lowest income housing and taking the jobs in the lower wage area - Basically competing for what they felt was theirs.  Many had a real intense hatred. 

or

Maybe they hated to make themselves feel superior and not at the bottom of their perceived social ladder?

There seems to be a fine line between delusional and psycopathic

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

'Nuff said.  My observations are not solely mine, nor am I perceiving things as they are not.

I sat in the waiting area of a car dealership while I was having stupid work done on my stupid car and even though CNN was covering the story non-stop, all those hours perusing FB yielded little-to-no commentary about this event.  2 weeks ago the atmosphere following the CO theater shooting was very different.  That tragedy yielded countless links to news stories, poems, prayers, and memorial graphics (frequently in the shape of the Batman symbol) to the innocents lost to that gunman's bullets.  I have seen no memorials of that sort on FB 24+ hours after the shootings in WI.

Perhaps I am especially sensitive to crimes and negative attitudes towards Muslims or those wrongly perceived to be Muslim because I married a man born in Egypt who faces extra scrutiny when he travels, or when his work wants to send him to the Pentagon as part of his engineering work for a major office furniture manufacturer.  He is not of Middle Eastern descent and has blonde hair, but still has to jump through hoops.

My future SIL is half Syrian.  She is strawberry blonde, pasty-skinned, and blue eyed, but her last name gets her extra attention whenever she travels.  A friend of mine's husband is Bolivian, but he has a very "ethnic" look and an accent, so subsequent to 9/11 he has been the target of poor treatment.

My late FIL was an esteemed professor of Middle Eastern History and spent the last years of his life continually clearing up myths and misinformation about Islam and Muslims when he wasn't completely ill from cancer and treatments for the disease that killed him.

And we STILL have thousands of people who continue to dog our president and waste time trying to prove that he wasn't born on US soil and that he's a Muslim.

Clearly people don't care that they target non-Muslims or even that the VAST majority of Muslims are peace-loving and innocent.  To many a dark complexion, an accent, and a turban = evil.  And the fact that so little is being said on social media says a lot more about how yesterday's atrocities are being viewed by people, as a whole, when compared to every other shooting in the past 5 years.  This one stands out because of the near silence surrounding it outside of TV and print media.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not go on facebook, but media wise here it has gotten a lot of attention

As much or more than every other horrible similar event, except the Batman shooting in CO.

I do have a question:  Do you think people have the same horror or emotional response when a car bomb goes off in the Middle East?  I believe the event is just as bad, just as horrible, but I also believe people feel an emotional distance or shelter from an event that far away.

It appears from early news that the shooter had some hate for Muslims stemming from 911 - Not sure why he would attack Sihks, other than ignorance.  So much hate in the world - Only way to fight back is to show people love in return.

Media-wise, yes.  It's getting non-stop attention.  Social-media-wise, not so much.

I think when car bombs go off in the Middle East that it makes big news locally.  Our western media doesn't pick up a lot of what's going on outside our borders.  The rest of the world has always seemed much more aware of our events than we are of theirs, unless their events have some direct bearing on the US.

~ Sarah Kay

I recommend either 1. getting off of Facebook or 2. getting new Facebook friends.  I don't recommend generalizing about our country based on your social networking friends.  I also don't recommend generalizing about our country based on the media. Both of those groups represent a very small segment of our population.

Any person who can go into a place and shoot/kill innocent human beings is evil whether they do it in Colorado or elsewhere. The best way to fight evil is with love and hope.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Not sure this is the proper response from the Sikh's, but I understand the anger and disappointment.

I think they're burning a picture of the US flag and blaming the US for not protecting Sikh's.

Bad situation, but India blaming the US for this incident seems like a little irrational.

(We struggle to protect anybody from crazy people).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life