Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Yeah our health system is designed okay but is basically on the brink of collapse through the mismanagement of the last 6 years.  Now we have a surgery waiting list where ethnicity is prioritised over need.  If we don't get a new govt later this year who knows how bad things could get.

darkwave - Sorry to hear you had a tough race.  Bad air quality must have played a part, it sounds terrible even if it has improved a bit.

Mikkey - You're free to start your own thread and give yourself feedback on your training  Seems like this is a discussion that's been had over and over.  Racing thread or individual distance thread?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw - sorry you had a rough day...nice report though! I will say that I usually read those runner instructions like there’s going to be a test—a smooth pre-race process is so critical. But they can always throw a wrench in there—the drop bag change and lack of warmup space are not something you would necessarily pick up on, and are pretty big deals. When you show up to the start already pissed off and discombobulated, that can make for a tough go.

So....the bag drop thing was totally on me.  I looked later, and the fact that you had to check your bag before getting on the bus was noted at least three different places in the runner instructions and on the website and was highlighted each time.  I have no excuse, just sloppiness on my part.

As for the warm-up area, I left a comment in the race feedback form that if they were going to limit the warm-up area, they needed to note that in the runner instructions.  I think of the two things, that was the more annoying one.  I don't think I let it get to me too much - I just rationalized that I'd have to start like a marathon and then pick it up.  But next year I'll make a point of doing my warm-up before getting on the bus.

Dave - do you do fast running (other than strides) in your warm-up?  I've found that the following works well for me: about 15-20 minutes of jogging; 3 minutes at half-marathon effort with 90 seconds jog, then 4x30 seconds at 5K effort with 30 second jog (90 after the last); and then 4x10 seconds at mile effort with 20 second jog.

It looks like a lot, but it's really not.  And that first interval always went a lot better when I warmed up that way.

MMerkle - really smart decision to take the day off. When you know you need a day off, you know.

Fishy - I think that you are allowed to post pictures and comments related to whatever your handle is.  Mikkey- this means you can post Disney pictures.

MArky_Mark - are you going to take any paternity leave?

ASmith - personally I'm often equally sore on the first and second days post workout.

Piwi/Mikkey - I remember the Lunaracers as well.  At the time, they seemed almost cutting edge.

Flavio - I was not familiar with Radio Garden - that may be very helpful in the future.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DavePNW

Dave - do you do fast running (other than strides) in your warm-up?  I've found that the following works well for me: about 15-20 minutes of jogging; 3 minutes at half-marathon effort with 90 seconds jog, then 4x30 seconds at 5K effort with 30 second jog (90 after the last); and then 4x10 seconds at mile effort with 20 second jog.

It looks like a lot, but it's really not.  And that first interval always went a lot better when I warmed up that way.

I don’t even do strides. Nothing but a few miles easy running. So IDK what I expect. Even when I’m just adding strides onto the end of an easy run, it takes a few of them before they actually feel fast. I suppose I should either do what I know will fix the slow early intervals, or stop bitching about it. Incidentally as I was thinking about whether to repeat the 800s or move on to 1200s, I tentatively decided on 1000s. 

Incidentally I don’t do anything fast in a HM race warmup either. I do for 5k/10k, but for a half I just do a 1 mile easy jog. Maybe I’ll try to do something about that next time too.

Dave

Steve ugh yeah that surgery priority thingy is dodgy as hell.

DW to prove I read your race report " pour some sugar on me " and " red line " 

Sounds like things were just off for you in that one. I like your red line concept. I feel in a half you hit it and then pull back slightly, 10k right on it, and 5k push slightly above. I like that warmup strategy. I'm sure you mentioned it to me before. I will give it a go on my next vo2 workout.

Mikkey sorry to not bring any marathon love to this thread. I think you need a big group of super motivated marathon runners to start a marathon thread. I'm not sure how marathon training and Cals new all round healthy lifestyle will gel.

If he's willing to run 80 mpw again then it will work.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

mmerkle

Andy Interesting perspective. Thank you.

Fishy Thanks. I have been focused on short distance for the summer race series, and have backed off a little on my mileage. I will soon transition back to marathon training though. I'd love to nail this 5k coming up.

Steve/Mikkey I feel like the issue with a distance specific thread is, very few people only ever race one distance. Even people who have a favorite/specialty distance will race other distances at the very least as training runs. So you have this distance specific thread, and next thing you know someone mentions a race they did as a training run etc. and there you go, the thread is now discussing some other race distance. It seems to me this thread is for people who like 1. Racing, not just "being healthy", and 2. Racing "long distances" as in not middle distances or sprinting. That's what I personally find appealing about this thread.

Dw Interesting warm up. A bit intimidating, but I might try it soon. I definitely like your philosophy of going by feel and have been implementing that more and more (almost every track workout, including my 400s today). Sorry the race you traveled for didn't work out, but it sounds like you have at least two good clues as to why it didn't. So you still learned from it obviously. Hope you enjoy your time off. Looks like we will be marathon training at the same time.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - You're free to start your own thread and give yourself feedback on your training  Seems like this is a discussion that's been had over and over.  Racing thread or individual distance thread?

Just imagine if there was an additional marathon thread and you decided to run another one….that would mean that you could post your weeklies on THREE separate threads each week!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Just imagine if there was an additional marathon thread and you decided to run another one….that would mean that you could post your weeklies on THREE separate threads each week!!!

Exactly. We don’t need another thread

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishy where is the index finger on your left hand. It looks like a AI generate picture with a Simpson hand. I haven't followed this thread hope it is still in place and if not sorry for asking.

Mikkey go for it. I will contribute in your new thread and help any runner who wants to break 4:20h with valuable tipps and tricks 

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If there is going to be another thread, my vote is for a Tyson thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If there is going to be another thread, my vote is for a Tyson thread.

Don’t give him ideas. 🐶

MickJogger - It would be an honour to share a Sub 4:20 marathon thread with you!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Smile Recovery itself was probably faster than a marathon. Easing back with the sprained ankle (and then having some work trips thrown in) has delayed my return to full mileage. Getting better, though!

Fishy - Nice week and nice little rainbow. I've never managed to catch one of those.

DWave - Thanks again for all the local intel. Too bad about the race, but that pacing is a thing of beauty, even so.

"Health" care - I'd describe the current US system as more of a "sick care" system.

Building back a bit more still. I didn't get quite as many miles in as I'd like (60.5 for the week), but the obstacles that got in the way there should be gone now and I'm looking at smooth (if hot and humid) sailing going forward for at least two months.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Fishyone

Mikey- I've been hearing about all of this "training" for 2 years!!  You and Cal need to string together some weeks before you start talking about breaking off a new thread

DW- Thanks! I figured now that I know how to post pictures I'll start "spamming the board" 

MickJ- All comments on my fish picture are welcome! Obviously you don't recognize the secret rainbow trout "gang sign" it enables us to recognize each other in a crowd

Commander- Welcome back. They are really pretty fish but I'm still partial to the native brook trout in New England.  they have the most amazing coloration.

Piwi- I love smoked trout and they ARE very healthy.  Like salmon they are full of omega 3 fatty acids  Actually I'm full of crap and don't know much about their health properties but they are excellent to eat.

Flavio- Yes the Garmin stays on almost 24 x7...I particularly like the sleep data.  I find that if I can manage 7 hrs during the week I'm happier, healthier and train better.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

I’m not sure if I can deal with this thread for the rest of the year.

This comment sounds surprisingly millennial for a boomer.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fishy we eat alot of raw salmon too but unfortunately bought from the supermarket so farmed. I see New Zealand has a Brown trout record of 44lbs and Rainbow of 24lbs. You might need to move here 

Keen good to hear you are recovering. It's always concerning when you only run 60 mpw 

Mikkey do you really not like this thread ?  Is it still too snow flakey 

Mark lol 😆

My home suburb is getting a Parkrun. This is cool as there will be 2 Parkruns within 20 min drive for me every Saturday.

They are having a test run this Saturday so I'm going to go run a workout on the course and try Darkwaves full warmup method.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This comment sounds surprisingly millennial for a boomer.

I’m from Generation X….the generation of Moose Mug winners.