finally a defeat for urban fast "food" industry (Read 1459 times)

kcam

Do not confuse Ronald McDonald House (a wonderful charity) with McDonalds.
    Actually, it was I guess a bad attempt at sarcasm. I wanted to point out that McD's (and the fast food industry) is not 100% evil. McD's is the largest corporate donor to Ronald McDonald House.
      Actually, it was I guess a bad attempt at sarcasm. I wanted to point out that McD's (and the fast food industry) is not 100% evil. McD's is the largest corporate donor to Ronald McDonald House.
      I was 99% sure that was your meaning. The only doubt being I didn't bother to check if you were really young or an escapee from an institution or anything. I thought it was good sarcasm. They really do a good job with RM house providing a service that is unique and a tremendous help to those who need it.

Why is it sideways?

Is it possible to criticize McD's food practices and to applaud their charity work without being a hypocrite? I sure hope so. I don't really understand why it's important or even interesting to bring up their charity work in this context. I applaud the community for getting together and making a decision about what they thought was best for them instead of just taking whatever they get. This is very common in wealthy communities with access to resources and power. It is also common for large and wealthy corporations to use lobbyists to impact zoning and the distribution of public resources. Such political work is uncommon in the sort of neighborhood where this happened. That's what was cool to me about the story. Seems democratic with a little "d."
        xor

I bet McD wouldn't be the largest donor if it was known as Creepy Burger King House.

or maybe do like they do for low income housing and say, "if you want to built a McDonalds here it has to be connected to a grocery store and bank.
            by bank maybe just a "checks cashed" place will do? I always prefer to have 90% of my paycheck. Who needs 100%?

I honestly don't understand all the hubub. Don't like it, don't eat it. Just like anything else. Why do we have to label McDonald's, or any other vendor "evil" just to show our neighbors how sensitive we are? McDonald's is no more evil than Budweiser, Phillip Morris, or your state lottery commission. They can all ruin lives if we choose to let them, but we have to make the choice. By the way, I ate at McDonald's this week, and didn't die.
              Do bears bear? Do bees be?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ate at McDonald's this week, and didn't die.
                How do you know?
                  I honestly don't understand all the hubub. Don't like it, don't eat it. Just like anything else. Why do we have to label McDonald's, or any other vendor "evil" just to show our neighbors how sensitive we are? McDonald's is no more evil than Budweiser, Phillip Morris, or your state lottery commission. They can all ruin lives if we choose to let them, but we have to make the choice. By the way, I ate at McDonald's this week, and didn't die.
                  I hear you and you are right... but I dare you to walk from my office and try to find a place to eat. Now imagine living here. The Subway about 12 blocks from here is the ONLY place I can think of that is a good option. Maybe Walgreens? Is that the fault of the people who live in the neighborhood? Yeah in most sense it is but what if you wanted to eat right? Where is your option? They are also being exploited to a degree as well.

C-R

How do you know?
                    What was the post? Existential writing from the grave? Wink
                    I hear you and you are right... but I dare you to walk from my office and try to find a place to eat. Now imagine living here. The Subway about 12 blocks from here is the ONLY place I can think of that is a good option. Maybe Walgreens? Is that the fault of the people who live in the neighborhood? Yeah in most sense it is but what if you wanted to eat right? Where is your option? They are also being exploited to a degree as well.
                    I'm reading "In Defense of Food" thanks to some of you knuckleheads here and it has made me think a little (painful to say the least but a good exercise in moderation). What is so wrong with personal responsibility in terms of what you put into your body? I can't walk several blocks around our office without finding fast food so I bronwbag. Its not perfect but its a start. I prep something from the night prior and bring some other fruits and veggies with me. Saves money and its better than McDs. Now if there is no grocery in the area offering options to people then that's another story but just because its in front of you, you don't have to eat it. What am I missing wrt choice. The community voted not to have this here and that's good so it looks as if they are trying to end the exploitation. MTA: I've eaten at Church's and I'm sure some of me died from all of the grease. It was good and bad all at the same time Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Why is it sideways?

Don't like it, don't eat it. Just like anything else. Why do we have to label McDonald's, or any other vendor "evil" just to show our neighbors how sensitive we are? McDonald's is no more evil than Budweiser, Phillip Morris, or your state lottery commission. They can all ruin lives if we choose to let them, but we have to make the choice.
                      I think that this is exactly what folks are applauding. The fact that people made the choice not to let McD's ruin more lives. ?
                        I am curious if people are against businesses using demographic information to scout out profitable locations.

Vim

I think that this is exactly what folks are applauding. The fact that people made the choice not to let McD's ruin more lives. ?
                          There is more to it than just a decision. In poor urban areas there is a huge problem of food availability and affordability. Michael Polland really broke it down for me when he did research on how many calories of healthy food versus junk food you could buy for a dollar. Add to that an 45 minute bus ride to a grocery store with food many people can't even afford and it makes a lot of sense why minorities and low income people have higher rates of obesity and other nutrition based diseases. Many people know what to eat but they can't afford it.
                          You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                            There is more to it than just a decision. In poor urban areas there is a huge problem of food availability and affordability....Many people know what to eat but they can't afford it.
                            Sorry, but I've seen a lot of poor neighborhoods and none of them was 45 minutes from a grocery store. Also, I've never seen a situation where healthy food at the grocery store cost more than fast food. Maybe "health food" costs more at a specialty store, but veggies, dry pasta, and canned goods are always cheaper than eating out. Getting fat eating junk food is a choice. Even if your statement is accurate these folks could order a salad. Doesn't anyone believe in personal responsibility anymore?
                            Do bears bear? Do bees be?
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So why do you think certain segments of society endemically make bad choices?

A Saucy Wench

Getting fat eating junk food is a choice. Even if your statement is accurate these folks could order a salad. ?
                                Have you looked at the price of salad? You are right to some extent but there is a lot of really cheap junk. It takes a fair bit of time and effort to eat healthily and a LOT more to do so cheaply. Dont forget perceived value. McDonalds locally - For $4.69 you could get a grilled chicken salad or you could get a double cheeseburger, fries, large coke, and 2 apple pies. (and change) In the grocery for $1.69 1 head lettuce or 3 boxes Kraft Mac n Cheese (6 on special) or 10 packages top ramen.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7