Strength training for the legs (Read 1016 times)

Ben Running

How important is strength training for the legs? If you are running all the time isnt that enough? Im trying to put together a strength training program and im not sure how much emphesis i should put on the legs. I know core strength is very important for the run. Any advise is appreciated.
    mikeymike

Important for what?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is it sideways?

I've been doing short (10-12 second) hill sprints on a very steep hill--the steepest paved hill I could find. I do 5-8 of them a couple times a week. I love the way they make me feel: like a running-specific weight workout. It's a great strength workout for a runner because it is very specific. Also, they require very little recovery and can be done on my easy days. Seem also to help with flexibility and range of motion. Anyhow, I'm a fan. They've become fashionable lately because of Brad Hudson's latest book, but they've been around for a while. From a letsrun post (the rest of the thread is worthless):
        The main benefit of short uphill sprints is probably neurological. As long as the grade is not so steep (about 14% grade is close to the upper limit) and the duration of each sprint bout not so long as to significantly alter or even impair stride mechanics, this represents as high a level of motor neuron recruitment as you can get in a running-specific context. The combination of speed and resistance produces an extremely high degree of both recruitment and "rate coding" in synergistic muscles. Believe it or not, when it comes to improvement, the speed is more influential than the resistance offered by the hill. But when speed and resistance are combined (and balanced in appropriate conjunction with level-surface sprinting or even gentle downgrade freewheeling), the ability to regulate force through proportional control is topped off. Any exercise which recruits large motor neurons within major muscle groups can promote the release of growth hormone as long as nutritional requirements are met to supply amino acids. Squats and dead lifts do the same thing, but they obviously aren't sport-specific. You might be feeling stronger as a result of a growth hormone boost, but it's just as likely you feel lighter and snappier because of the improved neural allocation (the benefits are noticed fairly quickly), because of having fortified your phosphocreatine system (which facilitates the warmup process) and because of the sheer variety in the routine. To effect the best boost to the phosphocreatine system (and to improve proportional control at speed), work up to 3 sets of 5 or 6 of the short uphill sprints (you don't have to spend 12 seconds on the actual hill for this; a run-up of 2-3 seconds on a flat section to establish some speed before starting the hill is best for form retention, followed by about 8-9 seconds on the hill) with a slow jog down and a little extra time at the bottom, for a total recovery period of about a minute between reps within a set. This format allows for partial restoration of the phosphocreatine (starting with roughly 80% replenishment and dwindling with each successive rep) while still applying a functionally continual stress to the system. Take about 5-7 minutes (walking for a couple of minutes, then some jogging, then about another minute of walking) between sets to "almost completely" restore the system. If you're a pure middle distance runner, you can use this session once a week during the last half of the off-season. For another supplementary addendum, tack on a single set of about 8 reps of short hill sprints (use about 3 reps to warm up to speed and get accustomed to the hill) following a medium-effort "tempo" type of workout on another day of the week (it's best to include some dynamic drills and several level-surface or gentle downslope high-speed buildups in your warmup prior to the "tempo" effort if you're going to approach top speed afterwards). So you can get two days per week which incorporate hill sprints - one is a full-fledged workout which is started completely fresh; the other is as an annex to a moderate-effort "high end" or "threshold" workout to briefly summon the full spectrum of motor neurons following mild to moderate fatigue of the more resistant oxidative muscle fibers. In regards to oxygen uptake, sprinting for short distances with recovery periods, even when repeated dozens of times, can affect single stroke volume, but this has only a marginal effect on O2 uptake. The muscle fibers involved in full-speed uphill sprinting are of larger diameter than those used in sustained running and more space within these fibers is devoted to contractile structures designed for force production, leaving less room for mitochondria or blood vessel supply. In fact, when they are recruited, their contractile force is often great enough to constrict their own blood supply, meaning they are forced to rely on their own stores of anaerobic energy, which is one factor contributing to their quicker fatigue. Furthermore, the heart, being a "twitch" muscle rather than a "tetanic" muscle, requires a few minutes of continuous exercise to reach the kind of sustained stroke volume employed during fast continuous running. Such sustained delivery of oxygen is generally required for significant improvement to take place in O2 uptake. Running-specific myocardial O2 demand (which stimulates the ventricular hypertrophy contributing to higher O2 consumption) is best created from segments of about 2 to 2.5 minutes of uphill (6%-8% grade) running at an effort similar to 5k race pace on the track. This does place a more continual pressure on the blood vessels which supply the race-specific (oxidative) muscle fibers, forcing a higher prolonged stroke volume than level-surface reps of the same duration would accomplish.

Menace to Sobriety

Run hills and stay away from women. Mick knew: "Women weaken legs"

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Ben Running

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in Florida and hills are not that easy to find but i may be able to get the same results on the treadmill with the incline maxed out.
              Try tabata intervals on the treadmill. 20 seconds on (run), 10 seconds off (stop) by 8 times. 12% incline and as fast as you can. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897392
              Al F

A bit more info on the Tabata intervals: Take your current 5k pace, add 30 per mile to the speed and set the treadmill at that speed. Set the tread mill at a 12% grade. Standing on the side "rails" jump on and run for 20 seconds, jump off and rest for 10 seconds, jump back on for 20 seconds, etc until you have completed 8 "intervals". If you are not totally wasted after that, next time use your 5k pace. My son is a cross country runner with a 15:30 3 mile time and at a 10 mph (6:00 pace) he was absolutely toast afterwards.
                T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Hey Ben. You ask about a strength training program - here's one... http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises.htm The program was developed by Mark Allen (6x Ironman World Champion). It therefore has a triathlon flavor, but Mark Allen is known for throwing down sub 2:45 marathons during Ironman races. I believe strength training the lower body is helpful for injury prevention and strength. It's certainly no substitute for running, but it hits muscle groups that are not used much during running, thus providing some balance. It's especially beneficial for old(er) people (like me). Best of luck!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Meh, $5 is $5...

Depends. What distance are you focusing on? Do you have any muscle imbalances? Barring a muscle imbalance, everyone that's recommended hills is spot on. It's a great substitute for doing weights with your legs and specific to what you're doing. The times I've done strength training with legs, it provided the biggest benefits for distances of 1 mile or less. The biggest issue I encountered was when to fit them in - if it's after a workout, your legs will be shot for days. If it's before, you're kind of marginalizing your recovery days. Since you said you don't have hills near you, the treadmill will probably be your best option.
                      Squats and Lunges are a good option also.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

SMART Approach

How important is strength training for the legs? If you are running all the time isnt that enough? Im trying to put together a strength training program and im not sure how much emphesis i should put on the legs. I know core strength is very important for the run. Any advise is appreciated.
                        If running is your absolute main focus, hills are a nice option but as mentioned above it is nice to have some muscle balance which you get from strength training. For athletes and runners, I am not so much a fan of leg curls, leg extensions. You are on your feet when you run and compete and need to do strength work on your feet. My favorites, walking lunges, side lunges, one leg squats, two leg squats, ball squats......these exercises are great for the core and are more functional than isolated machines.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

...---...

I live in Florida and hills are not that easy to find ...
                          I used to live down there. Occasionally, we would run parking garages to simulate. We found Sunday mornings to be almost void of any traffic. If this is an option, of course. Just a thought.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Overpasses, stairs...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

(Courtesy of Scout7) Drills Hills

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.