Bleeding Nipples (male) (warning - picture with bloodied shirt included in post) (Read 1781 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Clearly, I have a problem. It's not usually this bad, but this was from this morning's run (16 miles). What are your best suggestions for addressing this? I've never used Body Glide or any of the other anti-chaffing products before, but it might be time. ;-) I'd appreciate your suggestions, from tape to different kinds of shirts to ointments to whatever .... Thanks!

yuck 

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Wow, that looks pretty painful.  I'm surprised drivers aren't stopping you to ask if you've been shot.

Have you tried putting a band aide or moleskin over them? 

Marylander

Body glide and SportShield don't work for me. Tape works. No shirt also works. Wink

Slo

I just blew chewed up trail mix all over my screen. Wasn't ready for that picture.

Get those little square band aids and put them over your nipple. Cheap and effective.

Next alternative...go shirtless.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks for the suggestions. And based on your responses, I've edited the title of the post to give future readers warning. Shocked

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I've found that compression shirts work.  But, if you have a gut, the whole world will see it.  This is why I now use the below methods.  :-)

Other than that, bandaids do work for a few miles, but once they get wet, they'll come off.

This stuff works pretty well too.

http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/~/Flexible-Clear-First-Aid-Tape?N=6184361&rt=rud

Jeff

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

5 often recommended solutions in order of effectiveness:

1) shirt-less + SPF15/30

2) Nip-guards (special bandages for your sensitive nubs).  Unfortunately, very expensive and you look like a dork.

3) Compression top (wool works better than polyester IMO)

4) Bodyglide 

5) Liquid Band-Aide (dries on hard -- good for when you've already caused issues like in the picture) -- stains until dry

I usually use #1 or #4 with a snug, but not compression wool shirt.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Wow, that looks pretty painful.  I'm surprised drivers aren't stopping you to ask if you've been shot.

in all seriousness, you did confirm there aren't bullet holes under your shirt right?

I had the same problem and tried many things, Body Glide, band aids, etc. The only thing I found that works every time without fail is medical tape. It will not fall off no matter how much you sweat. You just have to remember to put it on.

Walgreens little round Bandaids, possibly other might work justa s well, but used these based on a suggestiong by a running friend.  Worked during a monsoon Marathon (with a shirt notorious for causing Nipple bleeding), the band aids were still on the next day when I took a shower (did not notice them during the shower after the race)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

during a monsoon Marathon (with a shirt notorious for causing Nipple bleeding)

WHY would even own that shirt anymore?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

cause I am dumb and never learn.

Run Wild

Body glide and SportShield don't work for me. Tape works. No shirt also works. Wink

I tried a lot of things.  Athletic tape works best.  Bandaids fall off after only a couple of miles

No shirt is also an option.  If the sun is out the guns are out!

I used band aids of all shapes and sizes for a while, but having a rather hairy chest, could rarely get a pair to stay on much longer than an hour.  I have also used body glide and liquid bandage. For me at least, they were imperfect solutions as they would wear off eventually (body glide works great for me elsewhere), so I would slab on lots of vaseline. This did the trick every time. Of course,  it tends to ruin the shirt for anything other than running.

Now in the summer, once I start to feel nipple chafing, the shirt comes off.