Dress Shoe revelation (Read 687 times)

patarch1

New Haven 08

Hello all, Because of terrible pain below one of my feet (at the arch, on the exterior side) I stopped all impact activities 3 months ago. Feeling great after three months I ran a five mile race on Sunday and there was no foot pain. Happy and back into a running program I go to work to share my new motivation and with spring coming I felt really good about running again. 2 hours in the work day, the pain is back, I can barely walk. What changed between Sunday and Monday and was similar to my situation three months ago? The answer is: the dress shoes. I am wearing the same dress shoes on Monday than I was wearing three months ago and Sunday I was wearing running shoes. I am so frustrated by the situation, I decide to change the dress shoes and buy new ones during lunch break. A couple hours later, the pain is gone and I can walk from one cubicle to the other without any discomfort. I would have never thought that dress shoes would hurt that much. It has been two days now and the pain is gone. For the sake of the experiment, I am considering wearing the old dress shoes and feel the change. I still have to understand the difference between the shoes but at least I can consider running later this week. I thought I would share this as I suspected the running activity was the culprit and it was actually something else. Best to all and enjoy the coming spring. Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Now come on.....whatever happened to suffering for fashion??? If us ladies can wear four or five inch heels and still manage to smile, why can't you do it too??? Wink
      obiebyke

Cairen-- Funny. I went to his profile, too, to see if the poster was male or female. Who knew men's shoes could be THAT uncomfortable? I'll take your word for it, patarch. Seriously, though. I'm glad the pain is gone, and that it was such a simple fix!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

dork.major dork.

OH men's dress shoes can sawk!! Hardcore. My ex was never comfortable in hir shoes, ever!!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

patarch1

New Haven 08

I can feel some fashion sarcasm... Smile Suffering for fashion is what I am doing actually, I still wish deep in my heart that I can wear the shoes that once hurt. Insoles might do the trick. I was able (and proud) to beat my girlfriend's patience when I was looking for that pair. She reminded me that I tried 35 pairs before finally making up my mind. She has not been to a running shoes buying session yet...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How dressy do your dress shoes need to be? DH has whacked-out feet (as do I...our kid is f'd) and loves a pair of Keen leather casuals. Very good for high arches.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

patarch1

New Haven 08

Thin leather sole, thin but not too pointy (in other words not like Peter Pan's shoes), a minimum number of seams, laces are not mandatory. The thing is I go to work in pressed black pants or suits so the choices are limited. Clarks have been good to me in the past and I will probably go back to them. But why, when one finds a good pair of shoes, one cannot find the same pair six months to a year later? That post is turning into a fashion debate, that's fun Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...so you need like a shiny loafer type shoe. My brother has wide, flatish feet (runs in the family) and also really likes Clarks. Sounds like one of those deals where if you find a shoe you like you're smart to buy several pairs to save for later.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Seriously - you should try pounding around in a pair of heels (not even big ones, i cant even handle anything over 2 or 3 inches) all day. I cringe when friends want to go out to the bar b/c iknow for like 3 or 4 hours I will be dancing in those decrepid things! My toes actually ACHE for 2 days afterwards. Since I'm already married and "off the market" couldnt I just go to the bar in sneaks?? Whats so bad about that?
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Seriously - you should try pounding around in a pair of heels (not even big ones, i cant even handle anything over 2 or 3 inches) all day. I cringe when friends want to go out to the bar b/c iknow for like 3 or 4 hours I will be dancing in those decrepid things! My toes actually ACHE for 2 days afterwards. Since I'm already married and "off the market" couldnt I just go to the bar in sneaks?? Whats so bad about that?
                      That's how we do it in Maine! Cool

Running Dad

I wish I could wear something different to work like that.. Try wearing steel toes for 24 hours at a time(some days I'm lucky and can wear a tennis shoe around the station).. and it's hard to find something that doesn't side zip anymore so I'm constantly rubbing the zipper in my ankle.. just glad I don't have to wear heels.. don't think they would go well with my goatee..
                        Things to do this year:
                        Not get an injury
                        Things done this year:
                        Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                        HOSS1961

Thin leather sole, thin but not too pointy (in other words not like Peter Pan's shoes), a minimum number of seams, laces are not mandatory. The thing is I go to work in pressed black pants or suits so the choices are limited. Clarks have been good to me in the past and I will probably go back to them. But why, when one finds a good pair of shoes, one cannot find the same pair six months to a year later? That post is turning into a fashion debate, that's fun Smile
                          I prefer Cole-Haan
                          HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured