Programmable watch recommendations? (Read 1146 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! I just looked at those on Amazon. Hmmm...I don't know that it would REALLY be worth 2x the price of that Ironman watch--especially since I don't really run on trails. I think if I were to go Garmin that I'd want something that I could actually use with my computer. I know that some of the models do work with Mac, but I believe they are the more recent/higher-end ones. I'll bet if I put one of those on my Christmas wish list that my MIL would consider it and/or go in on it with my hubby. My MIL may be a real PITA, but she is also a runner and absolutely flabbergasted by the progress I have made in terms of long miles and races (not speed, LOL...she's in her early 60s and faster than I am). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't want to buy a Garmin unit that won't work with any near-future computers or if we were to upgrade our current Mac.
      I'd hold off on any major peripheral / computer syncing-type devices until after Leopard comes out (When Steve? When? Confused ). Then read the Garmin forums and see if there are compatibility issues. Also, looks like the 101 isn't Mac compatible. Here's the list of Forerunners and computer compatibility: Compatible Garmin devices: Forerunner® 201 (PC only), Forerunner 301, Forerunner 205, Forerunner 305, Edge® 205, Edge 305 Compatible computers: IBM-compatible PCs running Windows® 2000 or XP operating systems | New! Intel-based Macs or PowerPCs (G3 or newer) running OS X 10.4 or later link: http://www.garmin.com/products/trainingcenter/ The 205/305 is looking more and more like an X-Mas '07 kinda thing, esp since Garmin is giving Mac owners some love... Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

derek

I don't want to spend a fortune or have some massive thing on my wrist (heh, vanity thy name is aversion to weird tan lines), but I would like something that is easy to use. Any recommendations?
        Just run at 5:30am and you wouldn't get any tan lines....

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd hold off on any major peripheral / computer syncing-type devices until after Leopard comes out (When Steve? When? Confused ). Then read the Garmin forums and see if there are compatibility issues. The 205/305 is looking more and more like an X-Mas '07 kinda thing, esp since Garmin is giving Mac owners some love... Cheers, Jeff
          That's what I'm talkin' about! By then I would hope that 10.5 will be out...and maybe we'll even have a new computer by then. Our Mini is almost 2 years old and I've love a new Intel iMac! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...good point! k

~ Sarah Kay

Why can't they just make an IPOD mini/nano with GPS and all these other features? High resolution GPS chips are getting extremely cheap and small. As far as tanning, I suggest wearing plenty of sunscreen. That's what I do. Doing so has kept my skin nice and white. Smile

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why can't they just make an IPOD mini/nano with GPS and all these other features? High resolution GPS chips are getting extremely cheap and small. As far as tanning, I suggest wearing plenty of sunscreen. That's what I do. Doing so has kept my skin nice and white. Smile
                I know! I would totally buy an iPod designed like that! Apple's missing a good market, I think! Will the iPhone have any GPS capabilities? Sunscreen...I have yet to find one that doesn't sweat off really bad. The worst is when it sweats into my eyes--burn, baby, burn...I wear a hat with a visor all Summer. I've tried all the Sport ones with no luck--they still swear off fast (I'm a really heavy sweater, I think) and then my sweat feels sticky or slimy. Got any recommendations for truly sweat-free sunblocks? k

~ Sarah Kay

Word. Works for me. But enough of this jibber, jabber. k, listen... Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No no noney no! I'd be in divorce court if I bought a Garmin right now! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I don't need GPS capability since I get my mileage from online mapping but I do need heart rate monitoring so I'm considering upgrading my Sigma Sport Fit watch to the Sigma Sport Onyx Fit or Onyx Pro. Should be well under a $100 for either and both are programmable for your own heart rate zones and do lap times. The HR strap has a user replaceable battery and I've been pretty happy with the older Fit Watch model. I'm a tech junkie and I'd love to have the whole ball of wax - HR, pace, GPS: but I'm also a cheap bastard and can't justify dropping 200-300 on the high end gear (not yet anyway Big grin) so for now the Sigma is a nice compromise. Google on: sigma "onyx fit" for prices. Product page and manual available at http://sigmasport.com
                        Found an awesome deal on one of these garmin's but I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Vim

Zoom try this link for your lost instructions: http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdManuals/705811.pdf

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Sunscreen...I have yet to find one that doesn't sweat off really bad. The worst is when it sweats into my eyes--burn, baby, burn...I wear a hat with a visor all Summer. I've tried all the Sport ones with no luck--they still swear off fast (I'm a really heavy sweater, I think) and then my sweat feels sticky or slimy. Got any recommendations for truly sweat-free sunblocks? k
                            Try this one http://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-ANTHELIOS-60-XL-CREAM/dp/B0009VRACQ I've been using it for a couple of years and it works great and there is NO grease. Ewa
                            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Try this one http://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-ANTHELIOS-60-XL-CREAM/dp/B0009VRACQ I've been using it for a couple of years and it works great and there is NO grease.
                              That URL didn't work for me. Try this.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.