'Couch to-5K running plan' question. (Read 1225 times)

george nesrallah

Hi all. I am taking everyone's advice and easing the running back (in terms of going for speed, etc...). Thanks to all of you I feel a definite injury may be avoided. Just a question on the 'Couch-5K...' program. I am going to do this and I read it takes roughly 2 months to do the 5 K. Just wondering if you are a heavy person starting with running, should you still do the program as laid out or should it be scaled back some? Just to mention I weigh 290 lbs. Also, just wondering, will this program work in terms of shedding bodyfat as well? My diet is quite good now, and running has trimmed me down some; I would love for it to continue to work it's magic . Thanks very much everyone.
      Hey George, I did the C25K. I wasn't 290 - but I was almost 230. All of these plans should be viewed as guidelines and not hard and fast rulesets. Feel free to follow it if you feel up to it, go slower if you need to. Regarding losing weight, I have found that calorie restriction causes the biggest weight loss. Running definitely helps.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

As I understand it, it's a guideline. If you can't complete a week as laid out, repeat it. The goal is to improve your fitness, not push hard to complete the program in a certain amount of time. If it takes you 3 months instead of 2, so what? At the end, you still did it. Also, there are User Groups here for C25K followers and grads - you can probably get a lot more info from them, since they've been through it (I haven't). Couch To 5K and One Hour Runners Couch To 5K Graduates
          Hi George, I'm also doing C 2 5K! I use to run but stopped for medical reasons and gained some weight, now I'm 40 pounds heavier than I was so know how you feel. I've done week 3 of C25K for 3 weeks! Smile You can just keep doing the week you're on until you feel comfortable moving forward to the next week. In my mind, there's no set timeline to follow. Have you listened to Ullery's Couch 2 5K podcasts?? They're free and he puts each run to music, telling you when to run and when to walk. The music isn't great, but it's nice to have the encouragment and not have to check your watch to see that it's time to run or take your walk break. Good luck! Katie
          First 5K May 2nd!
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, George! I repeated weaks on C25K, also. I lost 35 pounds, but it took dieting plus running. C25K helped get me to the point where I could run 30 minutes, and then I just kept working my way up. I find these long runs really help me maintain my weight now, so I don't have to diet. Let us know how it goes for you!
            george nesrallah

Thank you so much everyone. I will guage how my body is feeling. And I didn't know about the podcasts. Very cool; I will definitely check them out. It is nice to hear how the program aided in losing weight. I am even more excited. I did the first day of week one today and it felt great. Thanks again.

SMART Approach

Just take it easy, don't run to fast and walk when necessary and gradually build. You are a big boy, you don't want any set backs. Strength training is advised. This is just the start of you running fitness. Stay consistent and you will be amazed at your results and body change. Be patient!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I started running at 285 (close enough? Smile) I didn't know about C25K, but taking a look at it, I think it would be ok to try as is, assuming you've gotten a go ahead from your doc. As others have posted, it's a guidline. You may progress more slowly than the plan, you may be able to go through it a little faster (Try and avoid hammering through it too fast to avoid injury). Oh, and welcome to the greatest sport in the world.

Best Present Ever

My husband's about your weight and has been doing the C25k. (you can see his photo in my profile picture -- he weighs less now than in the photo, but he's still a big guy.) he used the podcast thing at first. He's running 3 miles at a time now, and I'm as pleased as I can be for him. I think he's pretty pleased with himself too. Smile He followed the plan more or less as it was written, I think, though he repeated a week (maybe week 5?). He also often adds a 4th day of running in a week. Good luck with it!
                    joecarolod

I was exaclty 290 pounds when I decided enough was enough. I started by walking because I couldint run for more than 5 seconds without back pain. The first day, I walked once around the track and was proud of myself. I started C25K a few weeks later but ran for 15 seconds to start and worked my way up...eventually to 13 miles. Patience is key. Good luck.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Dont hesitate to repeate weaks - or if your on week 5 and realize its a little too much, then go back to week 3 or 4.... The C25K program is simply a nice guideline for getting someone off their butt and on the street. Sounds like you have accomplished the first phase - your out there Big grin ---so if your too heavy and it seems a little much then modify it to YOUR needs.........keep running/walking and watch some of those LBS start disappearing. Your a winner -- Your out there ---- But do it on your terms........and modify the canned plans to fit you and how you feel,

Champions are made when no one is watching