A calorie is not a calorie (Read 1387 times)

Why is it sideways?

Good read that offers a more complex account of the nature of calorie absorption.

It is a testament then to human ingenuity that we have now figured out how to provide as many calories as possible in our foods. We don’t even really need for our intestines to do much work, our bacteria either, or even our teeth for that matter. Our modern diets are a measure of our evolutionary success, or at least they would be from the perspective of our paleo ancestors who needed and wanted excess calories. They are not successes from our modern perspective. We now have too many calories and too many of those calories are of low quality. One in three Americans is now obese. Over the last thirty years the number of calories we eat has increased, but so has the number of those calories that come from highly processed foods. In this light, we would do well to eat fewer processed foods and more raw ones. This is not a novel insight (Such foods, after all, tend to have more nutrients such as B vitamins, phytonutrients and minerals and so are good for reasons having nothing to do with counting calories). But what might be novel is the realization that in eating such foods you could lose weight while keeping the precise tally of the calories you consume exactly the same. However, this realization comes hand in hand with another, namely that how much weight you lose depends on the biology of the plants and animals you choose to eat and who you and your microbes are in ways we are only beginning to understand.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Way back when, my HS biology teacher told us that eating celery has net-negative calories.  That is, it costs more energy to chew & digest celery than the food contains.  Several girls took this to heart and were constantly seen munching on the stuff.  It probably would have worked for them except they started adding peanut butter and cream cheese to the stalks.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

#artbydmcbride

I still think running a mile burns more calories than walking a mile.   Maybe my inner microbes are more stimulated by the running....

Runners run

I still think running a mile burns more calories than walking a mile.   Maybe my inner microbes are more stimulated by the running....

It doesn't?  Either way, microbes and all, I'd rather run a mile than walk a mile.

DoppleBock

I do believe there is a slight, but fairly negligible advantage in calorie burn the faster you do each mile.  But slower can burn more fat and less glycogen - allowing you to replenish with less. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I've been thinking about this a lot lately (both what I quoted and the subject)...having just lost 17lbs on Weight Watchers; they "give" you 1 point for walking 1 mile, and 3 points for running 1 mile.  And though I've definitely cut calories, I've also started eating a lot more veggies since they are "free" foods in Weight Watchers.  Nothing really to add...just thinking about loud I guess.

And Ilene...Hat trick!

DoppleBock

I think there is a lot of truth in the article

I tend to eat what is the easiest way to get what I need (Fastest)

I will step up my diet a notch ~ taking time to get a little more raw and less processed.  I will do this from now until the Middle of December and see if I notice anything.

Best Present Ever

But we know that running  a mile absolutely burns more calories than walking a mile.  

Try eating gluten-free.  Finding counterparts to processed food is nearly impossible, and those counterparts that do exist taste like crap.  Gluten-free bread is a good example.  Then, are the benefits of eating gluten-free the lack of gluten, or the lack of processing? 

DoppleBock

More calories - But if done at a low heart rate - The energy comes from  fat and if done at max heart race, the energy comes from glycogen.  So if I am trying to lose weight and not have to eat as many calories while running a significant number of miles, slower miles would seem to allow me to not deplete my glycogen and have that bonked feeling all the time.

But we know that running  a mile absolutely burns more calories than walking a mile.  

DoppleBock

I agreed to eating better and generally more whole foods - less processed.  I am not eating 100% raw of gluten free and don't you even try and take cafeine away from me. 

Try eating gluten-free.  Finding counterparts to processed food is nearly impossible, and those counterparts that do exist taste like crap.  Gluten-free bread is a good example.  Then, are the benefits of eating gluten-free the lack of gluten, or the lack of processing? 

#artbydmcbride

And Ilene...Hat trick!

Score!

Runners run

Troy.

Try eating gluten-free. 

Why?

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Feeling the growl again

I came across a study recently which concluded that "it depends".  At speeds normally associated with walking (ie slower, like 2-4mph), running is actually less efficient than running.  At speeds normally associated with running, running burns fewer calories.

So if you feel like going for a walk, you should run.  If you feel like going for a run, you should learn ostrich running from our pal Richard and walk at 9mph.  But you should probably swing your arms for a few extra calories.

(the explanation is that using running at walking paces or walking at running paces forces big inefficiencies, accounting for the higher calorie burn).

But, it's useless information.  If you actually learn to walk at 8mph like a racewalker (gack!) you are increasing your efficiency so the calorie burn difference shrinks.

MTA:  Thanks for the like Jeff, it is interesting.  It is true that a calorie is not a calorie, it is really a kilocalorie.  But a kilocalorie is a kilocalorie, it's just that a kilocalorie measured in a bomb calorimeter or a Kjeldahl analysis is not realized with 100% efficiency in the body.  I guess we would need a new term to describe utilizable calories in food.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why?

I was being sarcastic.  I don't recommend it, as it is a pretty difficult lifestyle.  However, if you want to avoid eating heavily processed food, the subject of this thread, then gluten-free is a big step in that direction.