Hoka OneOne (Read 590 times)

undue monkey

The original Cavu has been the perfect daily trainer for me. It's the size of a boat, but I can do just about anything in it. It's less than $60 right now, and I'm getting ~450 miles out of it.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I read similar complaints about narrowness earlier in this thread.  Perhaps it has been corrected because I have very wide feet and have no complaints about my Bondi 6 pair though I did get the wide size.  I tried on the regular version of several Hoka models and it was too narrow.  It could be a brand of shoe that you must get the wide version if your feet are even somewhat wide.

If you’ve got wide feet then check out the Hoka Clayton which is a lightweight shoe ideal for faster workouts and racing. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

They stopped making the Clayton 2ish years ago.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

They stopped making the Clayton 2ish years ago.

That’s a shame as they were great shoes. But, I’m sure you can still buy the last version online now at a decent price. Is Bondi 6 better than the previous models? If not then go get a bargain on the previous models.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I tried the Hoka Hanapu on this week. While I like the feel of the shoe; nice cushioning, comfortable in the forefoot, the heel cup doesn't seem big enough and my heel slips in it. Probably returning it...

Hoka doesn't make a shoe called Hanapu. Maybe you mean Hupana?

I don't think the Hupana is a running shoe, I think it's an "athliesure" shoe for fashion purposes.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Despite all my bashing of Hoka's evolution toward un-cushioned heavy shoes, I still prefer some models over anything offered by any other brand. I ran in my Napali ATR (discontinued) yesterday, and will likely be getting another pair of Challengers in the next year to replace the Napali. I might even get another pair of Stinsons.

I know what works for me and what I like, so there are very few models/brands of shoes I use. I gave up on Brooks a few years back, and the Kinvarra is the only Saucony I like. I won't even consider Nike or Adidas for training shoes after decades of disappointment with fit and feel and weight. Altra is ok for some purposes but have quality problems, and for me they are not achilles friendly. Topo and On too hard midsole. I'm curious about a couple of the New Balance but haven't tried them. Puma, Reebok, UA? LOL! I've settled on the Skechers GoRun performance line, excellent performance and comfort, as well as being cheap as dirt if you hunt around. But they are going toward a tongue-less upper which is very hard to get to fit well.. My GoRun6 leaves deep shoelace marks in my foot if I snug them up for faster pace runs, and now I see the GoRun7 and the MaxRoad Hyperburst both have no tongue. I may be back to Hoka as my main shoe line. Hopefully they'll offer a lightweight durable road shoe; the Rincon is a step in the right direction but doesn't have enough rubber on the outsole where I tend to wear them out fastest. Maybe a Rincon with Clifton outsole hybrid?

Still kicking

They got the Bondi 6 right. Best Hoka since the original Stinson Tarmac. The Clifton 3 and Bondi 5 sucked so bad, I defected and went to Sketchers for a couple years. But came back to Hoka with the Bondi 6.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

mikeymike

That’s a shame as they were great shoes. But, I’m sure you can still buy the last version online now at a decent price. Is Bondi 6 better than the previous models? If not then go get a bargain on the previous models.

The Mach was supposed to kinda sorta be a replacement for the Clayton, and while I never wore the Clayton, I really like the Mach. (Some people hate it, as it goes with running shoes.) Of course the Mach is also now discontinued and replaced by the Mach 2, which I also like just not as much as the original Mach.

Hoka has too many slightly different shoes and changes them too often--I don't get how that business model works but apparently it does.

Runners run

mikeymike

I don't think the Hupana is a running shoe, I think it's an "athliesure" shoe for fashion purposes.

What's the difference, though? I ran a couple thousand miles in the Hupana at one point a couple years ago when it was the only shoe that wouldn't cause my PF to flare up. I couldn't tell a performance difference from any other runner I've ever worn. Felt like a lightweight, neutral trainer and was pretty durable--good for well over 500 miles a pair.

Runners run

I'm currently alternating between a pair of Hupanas and a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero. I like the Hupanas approximately 1005% more than the Nikes.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

What's the difference, though? I ran a couple thousand miles in the Hupana at one point a couple years ago when it was the only shoe that wouldn't cause my PF to flare up. I couldn't tell a performance difference from any other runner I've ever worn. Felt like a lightweight, neutral trainer and was pretty durable--good for well over 500 miles a pair.

I've long preached that TODAY'S dime store "running shoes" like the knock-offs at Walmart are better than the "best" running shoes of 30 years ago. Maybe even of 20 years ago. Given that, an athleisure shoe designed by a hardcore running shoe company like Hoka will most likely be a decent shoe to run in.

And I like to add that my Dad trained in Converse Chuck Taylor basketball shoes, and ran a 4:07 mile in the late 40's. On a dirt track. Moral of the story: the equipment isn't as important as we like to think it is.

They got the Bondi 6 right. Best Hoka since the original Stinson Tarmac. The Clifton 3 and Bondi 5 sucked so bad, I defected and went to Sketchers for a couple years. But came back to Hoka with the Bondi 6.

I really like my Bondi 6 shoes but it's my first and only pair of Hokas.  I'm curious, did you consider the newest Clifton model or were you only interested in the Bondi?  I"m still conflicted whether to go Clifton or Bondi for my next shoe.  Leaning towards Clifton..

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Still kicking

The original Cliftons were awesome. The Clifton 2 went to hell in a hand basket, but still a runable shoe, if you had narrow feet. The Clifton 3 was wider, but gave me almost instant plantar fasciitis, that took nearly a year to get over. That was traumatic enough to make me swear off the Clifton forever, so I cannot speak for the 4's our 5's at all. The Bondi 6's are working so well, that I'm not willing mess with what's working!

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm still trying to find something to replace the Brook's Neuro 2s that I loved. I never managed to snag a pair of the Neuro 3s before they ditched the line. Bummer. I struggle to find anything that isn't too stiff through the forefoot (which pisses off the entire outer arch/peroneal tendon area of my feet). Nike doesn't really make a Free line for running, anymore, so that option is gone, too.

Funny, the "athleisure" Hupanas are about the closest I have found to being OK. They're weird, though. In spite of being really lightweight, they feel clunky.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay