yogurts to avoid (Read 968 times)

running yogi

Make yogurt. From milk alone. At home. http://runningahead.com/forums/post/600beefc85e6422f9333d865da60111f#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/b502e94b355441149e0ced2c6cbec752#focus
    Most times I make mine at home too just from warm milk and old yogurt, but sometimes I buy too. The Brown Cow brand comes very close. I think it has least amount of stuff added to it.
    mw0031

Not to thread hijack, but the contra of the title: Yoghurts to try, which have no stabilizers and contain multiple live clutures (and are darn tasty): 1. Strauss 2. Laura's 3. Brown Cow (mentioned above) 4. Mountain High (my personal favorite, because I grew up in Colorado and it was a hippie staple in the 70's). happy eating.
        Arabic salty yogurt drink... tried some of this several months back. It's sorta funky. I eat 6 to 8 oz servings of store brand fruit on the bottom, aerated (fluffy), custardized (thick style), and blended yogurt with HFCS.

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Many Persian stores and restaurants serve the yogurt drink. Some are salty, some are herbed and a few are vaguely sweet. They go by a bunch of names, but the one I see most commonly is Dough (pronounced, 'doog'). I enjoy a good dough.
            Many Persian stores and restaurants serve the yogurt drink. Some are salty, some are herbed and a few are vaguely sweet.
            The Indian version is called Lassi. One basic version of a sweet Lassi is yogurt, milk, honey and mango. Yum, Mango Lassi. (Usually, you can find pretty good plain yogurt at Indian and Middle Eastern grocery stores. This is the kind that I try to use as my starter for home-made batches.)
            ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I did not lump in Lassis since they tend to be sweetened (or made from plain yogurt) but are not as frequently salted. But amen. I love me a good mango lassi.

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, I did not lump in Lassis since they tend to be sweetened (or made from plain yogurt) but are not as frequently salted. But amen. I love me a good mango lassi.
                I always get a salt lassi when I go for indian. But from the looks I get I gather that I am the only customer of European decent to do so. "you want salt not sweet?" I find the salt really really refreshing with spicy indian food. The sweet is too sweet for me and the mango...well I am allergic to mangoes Cry

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jazz hands!

I LOVE mango lassi. It's awesome. I usually get store brand plain yogurt, since they don't usually have any weird additives in them, at least around here. And I think I'm moving soon to nearby a little Indian hole in the wall market, so I'll get my fill of lassi then. Greek yogurt is also super yummy, though pricier than regular yogurt, therefore it's a special treat. REALLY good with honey and walnut pieces mixed in.
                  run run run AHHHHHH run run run

50 halfs by age 50

Make yogurt. From milk alone. At home. http://runningahead.com/forums/post/600beefc85e6422f9333d865da60111f#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/b502e94b355441149e0ced2c6cbec752#focus
                    It was fabulous Trent! I tried it yesterday. I used Stonyfield Farms as the culture starter and got some Ball jars at Target. I also tried zoomy's heating pad in the cooler method 'cause I needed the oven. Had the yogurt with fresh blueberries and a couple drops of honey for breakfast this morning. Phenomenal! Thanks guys for the idea and instructions!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Awesome. Now that you have the yogurt, use it in the future for your starter. Often I use the oven still warm from whatever I had baked earlier in the evening. Enjoy!

Jazz hands!

Trent, do you just eyeball (er, handball....?) the milk temp, or should I invest $5 in a candy thermometer? Actually, I could stand to have one of those anyway. YOGURT UPDATE: Because everyone is still fascinated, I'm sure. This morning I had some more (with another nectarine and maple syrup to take the funky taste away), and there was whey on top. Look, store brand yogurt. if I am going to get butt-flavored "blended" style yogurt, I at least expect it to be blended!
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

120 degrees = warm to the touch 180 degrees = hot to the touch with small bubbles and possibly a skin on top I rarely use a thermometer.

Old, Slow, Happy

I make my own "yogurt" except it's Kefir. I am led to understand that there is a much wider variety of pro-biotics in kefir. You can buy organic kefir some places. I just bought some culture on the internet and make my own. Anyone know about kefir and is it "better" than yogurt?
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yogurt is the generic name for anything made from milk using a souring bacteria or community of bacteria. Kefir is a type of yogurt. The yogurt I make at home reuses generations of yogurt culture that includes bacteria from different yogurts I have used over the years, including kefir. Kefir tends to be a little less sour (and therefore a bit less thick) than other yogurts. Better in this case is really just a matter of taste.