One Hour Runner to Half-Marathon questions (Read 282 times)

Hello!

I am a new runner who started running in October 2013. I finished c25k and am about to finish One Hour Runner. I run very slowly and am currently just aiming to build a solid base. For the last month I've been averaging 15-18 miles a week and run 4-5 days a week, on the treadmill. I also do 30 minutes of weights, planks and hip exercises every other day.

I have zero desire to race which might be odd but just seeing my milage go up and the effort it takes to run go down has been rewarding for me so far. However, I do really need a plan to follow in order to feel comfortable. With that in mind I am thinking of transitioning from One Hour runner to a half marathon program with nebulous plans to maybe/maybe not run a half in the fall. (http://www.halfmarathoners.com/half-marathon-training-resources/hal-higdon-half-marathon-training/novice-2)

Here are my questions. Has anyone transitioned from one hour runner to doing this plan? If not what program did you transition to? I'd love to find one based on time since that's what I've been using so far. If not and I do this plan I'm wondering a couple of things. I count my warmup/cooldown as part of my mileage. Should I? I ask because there are a lot of 3 mile days in the plan and I usually run more than 3m but that's counting warmup/cooldown.

Also, because I feel zero desire to race I don’t know what my race pace is and some of the miles in the plan are at race pace. I live in NY and it’s awful outside so I'm not going to do a 5k in this weather and will just ask, how much faster are people usually when they race? The plan says to run at what you aim to run a race at and I don't know what I should run a race at? I’ll probably just extrapolate from whatever answer I get and use that as my race pace. I do 4.7mph as my easy run, does 5.5mph as my race pace sound reasonable? If not how should I decide? Run a 5k on the TM as fast as possible and feel like I'm dying when I finish to see how fast I can do it?

As for cross training. Yuck. I enjoy running but don’t enjoy cycling or the elliptical or really any other cardio option. Should I just suck it up and do it even though I really hate it and get bored doing so? Or is there another option for those 60 minutes of cross training each week? If there’s no other choice I’ll just do it but if there’s anything else I can do instead I’d rather that.

Lastly, a half-marathon distance seems a little daunting to me right now. Any general words of wisdom?

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have not raced since 2007  and have no plans to.

Running and weightlifting are enough.

There is no need to do any other cross training.

I also do some yoga because I am old and tight.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Latent Runner

A few comments:

• If you have no plans to race, I wouldn't bother with a half marathon program, just stick with your one hour routine.
        • When folks discuss "pace", they typically do so in "minutes per mile" not "miles per hour", so instead of 4.7 and 5.5 mph, you should say, 12:46 and 10:56 respectively.
        • Unless you actually run a race, I don't believe there is any good way of figuring out what your race pace is.  FWIW, I've been training at a 9:00-10:00 pace since I started running again last April, and yet my 5K race pace has dropped from roughly 8:30 to about 7:20 over that same period of time.
        • The benefit of actually running a race versus going all out on a treadmill is that treadmill running is wildly inaccurate.  Why?  As a general rule, running any given distance on a treadmill is easier than doing it outside in the real world.  The flip side is that running in a race typically generates its own kind of energy which allows you to run faster than you typically would be able to muster during a training run.
        • Given how new you are to running, I would keep things real simple, go for distance (or time if you prefer) over speed.  Why?  Following the LSD (Long Slow Distance) principle of running is the best way for new runners to avoid injury AND to safely improve their speed.  My advice to you would be to completely avoid all faster workouts until you're so fast you are finishing races in the top three to five percent of your age group.
        • As for running a half marathon (or for that matter any race longer than a 5K), way too many folks engage in racing before their bodies are properly prepared for the rigors of such a race, and in the end they get injured.  Until you've logged an easy 500-700 miles in less than a year, my advice would be to avoid any race longer than a 5K.  That said, some folks are able to go from Couch to Half-Marathon in a few short months and get away with it; IMOH, they're the exception rather than the rule.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

At easy pace you should be able to have a conversation.  That means not so hard you have to spit out a word or two at a time, but not so easy that someone on the phone wouldn't know you're exercising.  There are articles on gauging effort with your breathing all over the place - you can start at the beginner's section of runnersworld.com if interested.

If you are just running for general fitness, I agree easy running judged by effort is all you need.  No point in doing the more strenuous training that often leads to injury.  If you were running outside, I'd suggest throwing in some strides for variety, but that's harder to do on a treadmill.

If you really want some numbers, a non race option would be to find a track and do a timed mile.  A mile isn't a perfect predictor for longer distances, but it's easier to keep your motivation over a shorter distance (since you'll be running alone.)  And it will give you a time to plug into the pace calculators to give you some general guidance.  You want to do the time trial at a pace where it's hard to spit out more than a word or two, but you can still keep your breathing even. Don't forget to warm up first.

Good luck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have zero desire to race

^ This is fine.  That said, I encourage you to participate in races, which is a different matter.  "Race" means different things to different people.  Just being part of the scene at a race is a blast.  Get a friend to go with you, if possible, or ask around for someone who runs at about your pace.  Lots of runners, even if they don't know you, are willing to help you get started.  That will make it double the fun.

As for training, you don't need any magic formula; just run as much as you can without hurting yourself.  In particular, don't try to run faster or farther than your body is ready for.  Do a long, easy run once a week, gradually increasing your mileage.  You don't have to do a 13.1 mile run before the race, however; around ten miles would be fine.  Ease up for a few days before the race (taper).  Then, when you are starting the race, relax, go at a pace you feel you can maintain for 13 miles, and enjoy it.  Smile

MTA:  I want to clarify, I didn't mean to say just do a long run once a week.  Do that plus several short runs each week.  I'm not specifying times or distances, because only your body can tell you accurately what you can handle.

Joann Y

You say you want to build a good base and don't want to do cross training or racing. If you like running, do that, and forget the cross training. A good base would be about an hour a day (maybe 5-6 miles a day). So starting from where you are, I would first increase to 5 days a week and hold there until comfortable (3-4 weeks, more or less). Then increase the weekly mileage by 10-15% and hold there until comfortable (3-4 weeks, more or less as you want). Then increase the weekly mileage by 10-15% and hold there until comfortable (3-4 weeks, more or less as you want). Repeat until you are up to a consistent 30 miles a week for a few months. This would be a nice solid base. Don't worry about how fast you are for now. Then reevaluate your goal. Maybe change it. Read some books, read some of the training threads here.

For example, http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1135a2b353f94b4c8d545a10126a299b/resume#focus

And, what LedLincoln says ^^

joescott

You say you want to build a good base and don't want to do cross training or racing. If you like running, do that, and forget the cross training.

Yep.  Running is the best cross training anyway.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

GinnyinPA

When spring comes, you might try a short race, just to see what it's like.  I never expected to enjoy racing.  I had memories of elementary school, where I was always the laggard.  I am not fast now either.  But I enjoy running, so I decided to try a race just so I could have the experience.  I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it.  I pushed much harder than I ever did in training.  I gave it my all.  And it felt great (though not so much my stomach!)  A few months later, I ran another, and was excited to see that I could beat my time significantly.  It was a surprise.  I'll never run many races (too cheap) but I have enjoyed the races I have run (3 5ks, a 5 miler and a 15k).  My time improved on each one as I got stronger and ran farther.  So don't give up on racing entirely, you might be surprised.

There will also be a bit of a shock when/if you transition to road running.  Some people find it much harder than the treadmill, some much easier.  I started on the TM for the first few months, and still do about half my runs on mine, but I enjoy the outdoor runs a lot more.  However I find it hard to stay on pace when I run outdoors, because I get used to the TM doing it for me.  I usually end up running too fast and then feeling it at the end of my runs.   I know in time I'll figure it out, but watch out for depending too much on the TM.

One issue I've read frequently in discussions of the Higdon plans is that they put a lot of emphasis on the weekend long run.  If you can, pad out some of the other runs, so that you aren't running 50% of your mileage on the one run. 

As to HM distance - I haven't run a half marathon, but I have run the distance several times over the past couple of years.  (I started running in Aug. 2011.  I got injured prior to two different planned HMs and ended up taking months to heal but have run about 18 months during that time.)  Don't let the number intimidate you.  You remember the first time you ran for 20 minutes straight -- it seemed like a huge leap.  It was scary.  Now it probably feels easy.  Same thing when you do 5 miles the first time, or 8 or 10.  Every time you hit a new milestone, it feels like a big deal.  Then you do it, and feel terrific because you've made a new leap.  And then it becomes routine.  You get so running an hour, or an hour and a half, or longer, is not a big deal.  It's only the first time you do it, that really feels like a big challenge.

Chuck1945

I am an older (69,) slow runner and hope to do my first (and possibly last!) half marathon in June. While I participated in several 5Ks (four last year) I don't really race. As for HM training and pace, I am treating my long slow runs as my HM pace Smile I just want to be able finish the darn thing, and am not particularly worried about time.

8 miles is currently  my long run and I plan to add a mile each month reaching 12 mile runs during May. I have also heard 10 miles recommended as the training distance, once by a serious running friend (she and her husband have done Boston), and I have also chatted with a couple of other less serious runners who also used the 10 mile plan and both said the last couple of HM miles were quite hard. I have no idea if they just reached the 10 mile goal or if they had trained at 10 miles for a while.

Latent Runner

I am an older (69,) slow runner and hope to do my first (and possibly last!) half marathon in June. While I participated in several 5Ks (four last year) I don't really race. As for HM training and pace, I am treating my long slow runs as my HM pace Smile I just want to be able finish the darn thing, and am not particularly worried about time.

8 miles is currently  my long run and I plan to add a mile each month reaching 12 mile runs during May. I have also heard 10 miles recommended as the training distance once by a serious running friend (she and her husband have done Boston) but I have also chatted with a couple of other less serious runners who also used the 10 mile plan and both said the last couple of HM miles were quite hard. I have no idea if they just reached the 10 mile goal or if they had trained at 10 miles for a while.

A few comments:

• First, congratulations on making a half marathon a goal; it's a worthy goal.  Smile
                      • If a runner is routinely running ten miles at a crack, running 13.1 should be relatively easy.
                      • A race in which "just finishing" isn't the issue will only be as "hard" as you want to make it.
                      • Case in point, I'm about 12 years younger than you and I am currently running eight to ten miles on weekdays and twelve to fifteen, sometimes more, on weekends.  By definition that means a half marathon will not be "hard" for me, however, if I attempt to run it at the same pace I ran in a 10K on Thanksgiving day, not only will it be "hard", it will be nearly impossible unless I can somehow manage to lose another 20+ pounds.
                      • Long story short, your plan of adding only a mile per month for your long runs is extremely conservative, and will most certainly enable you to finish a half marathon with no drama, assuming you don't push your pace too hard.

Keep us posted on your progress and how you make out.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to respond. I have received so much great advice from this forum and feel really lucky that you all are so willing to help. Big grin