RW Questions - Set 5 (Read 733 times)

JakeKnight

Since I'm now boring even myself, I'll end this with a little controversy. Have fun. 1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? Note: include politicians in both of the above; and once again, runners are some strange, strange people. I can't believe nobody said Jessica Alba. Sigh. 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) And now some basic pro/con for-or-against questions: 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Scout7

1) Pheidippides 2) I'll go with Jessica. Or Eliza Dushku. 3) Pre 4) Walking the whole thing? Against. Run /walkers, I'm ok with that. 5) Depends on the race, and where they are positioned. If they have to start in the back, I'm ok with it. 6) I could live with cut-off times. Most races have them, anyway, for logistical reasons. But if they implemented a universal cut-off, say 6 hours for the marathon (this is an example only, not advocating a 6 hr cut-off), I would be ok with it. 7) I generally have no problem with it. Bonus: 2-3 days.
      JakeKnight

Mmmm. Dushku. Nice choice. Does she run? Does it matter? I think the "walkers in marathons" question meant people who intentionally walk the whole thing. Which must really, really suck. That's like spending nine hours walking around the mall. Ouch.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Dog-Love

Since I'm now boring even myself, I'll end this with a little controversy. Have fun. 1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? Hmmm anyone? My best running friend JJ and if she were busy then Bruce Springsteen 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? Mick Jagger Note: include politicians in both of the above; and once again, runners are some strange, strange people. I can't believe nobody said Jessica Alba. Sigh. 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) Frank Shorter And now some basic pro/con for-or-against questions: 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? In the back of the pack 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? Just watch out for my heels 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? You bet...have you ever organized a race? 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) I would rather hear the bears creeping up on me The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? 26.2 days
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Prophet!

1. Someone slightly slower than me 2. Elisha Cuthbert.. 3. Elisha Cuthbert (hey in my imagination she's an "elite" runner) 4. Definately pro...i'd like to see elite runners attempt to do anything for 9 hrs straight... 5. Definately pro..in our last 5K we started way in the back and manage to weave in and out of the pack to move up towards the middle of the pack and some lady yelled at us, telling us to stay in the back...its harder to steer a stroller around people then going around runner with a stroller.. 6. No..because it'll be a bummer for the walkers..if there is a cutoff time...make it 3 hrs then, that way a whole lot more people will vote no for this question. 7. Most definately..who wants to hear men grunting, huffing and puffing... Bonus - 2 weeks...
            mikeymike

1. My dad. 2. Uh, I dunno. Maybe Kate Winslet--she seems like she could carry a conversation, and would look good in short shorts. 3. Off the top of my head, Brian Sell. He seems like just a regular guy. 4. If the race organizers are okay with it then I don't care as long as they line up at the back and don't get in the way of people who are racing for time. 5. Yes, see my answer to # 4. 6. Yes. How can you not have a cutoff time? At some point you have to take down the clock and send everyone home right? 7. In races, no. Otherwise live and let live. Bonus: a good week anyway.

Runners run

1.Clarence Demar, he won Boston 7 times back in the 30's. 2.Jennifer Garner, she ran a lot in Alias. Plus,my wife an I have an agreement. If I get the opportunity I would leave her to marry Jennifer Garner. My wife would leave me for Tom Brady (Patriots QB),I'd get season tickets as part of the deal & no hard feelings. 3. Joan Benoit Samuleson. She won Boston when she was 16 & got the Gold in the Olympics first woman's marathon. 4. Run/walk yes. Walking only? Pick another event. 5. Baby strollers? No. Don't be so cheap, hire a sitter. 6.Cut-off times. Yup. Can't keep the roads closed forever. 7.I-pods? While training, Yes. During a race, No. You shouldn't need additional entertainment in a race. Bonus Question: personally my record is 19 years. I ran my last marathon in 1984 & over the next twenty years I ate my way up to 255 lbs before I came to my senses. I started working out for real in 2003. I started running again this past April & I'm running the Hyannis Marathon this February.

You'll ruin your knees!

1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? He wasn't a runner, but I'll still say my dad. I once told him I was thinking about running a 50 mile race and his reaction wasn't positive. He said something like "I don't think you should run that far". Well, you would have to know him to understand that a statement like that from him was like someone yelling "YOU"RE AN IDIOT FOR EVEN THINKING THAT", in a loving kind of way. He just didn't express his opinion on what he thought you ought to do and not do. Well, I'd love to share the trail with him again (we used to hunt and ride horseback together). I'd like to let him see just how much running means to me now. 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? Just about any of them that have/will make political statements from the podium of the Academy Awards; cause I'd like to push 'em off a cliff Evil grin. Other than that, I think it might be a blast to run with Tim Conway (might not get much running done!). 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) Tim Twietmeyer, who capped his record-setting career at the Western States 100-mile Endurance Run in 2006 with his 25th sub-24-hour finish, recently earned another accolade when he was named of Runner's World magazine's "Heroes of Running" for 2006. Tim is the President of the Western States Endurance Run Board. And now some basic pro/con for-or-against questions: 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? Bring it! I've seen plenty of walkers put in sub 4 hour marathons! 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? No, I think this is a safety issue for the runners and the passengers. 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? Yes, mainly because the race is run by volunteers! They need a break! Next race, tell them how much you appreciate them! 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) OK with conditions. Keep the music low enough so you can hear a runner overtaking you from behind. I have a bigger peave for runners who stay 3-4 abreast, making passing difficult. The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? I try to limit it to a couple of minutes, as I may have 6 or more miles to go Surprised Tongue Clowning around Cool Lynn B 8 Ball

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

1. Roger Bannister 2. Eva Cassidy (as long as she sang a few songs as well) Big grin 3. Paula Radcliffe (UK) 4. No - Marathon running is about running - there are many long distance walks that walkers can do if walking is their thing. In over-subscribed races walkers often take valuable places that runners would actually like. If they must, then please start at the back! 5. Personal view - no (safety grounds) - but if they must then again, back of the pack. 6. Yes - for logistical reasons and in fairness to hard working marshalls and medical staff 7. Mixed feelings, but preference for no. Bonus: As long as you want - you deserve it!

Running ... just keep running!

Now that was a bath...

1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? - My husband - the lazy git 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? Snoop Dog - he could buy me some bling bling - not 'totally crap' running shoes 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) Hey, can i say Lynn? I don't know any elite athletes. My running is selfish and purely for me and I on the whole ignore the fact that 'other people run too'. I'm sat here right now pretending that this entire board is purely here to stroke my ego and improve my running. I honestly don't think that I could name an elite athlete (from any field) if I tried. 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? I'm going to say 'for' because too much of the world is sitting on it's over fed butt cheeks and heading for a heart attack. Anything that gets people motivated and moving is a good thing and not everyone is capable of running longer distances. Plus it will make me feel better when I finish my first marathon in 7+ hours - to see people crossing the line behind me. I can't underestimate the joy of at the very least beating some people - even if most of them are old/ on crutches/disabled/lazy etc. I say 'Woot' (that was for Jake) to anyone slower than me. 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? I have a jogging stroller and it will be firmly at home when I run. Moving at speed with a heavy object is for people more co-ordinated than myself. In a race, I say 'Cool Borther' if they are placed where it won't trouble others. I am just a hippy in this sad, mad world of ours. 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? Well we have some actually during the Auckland Marathon. For instance they have to re-open the harbour bridge to the morning rush hour traffic at some point (racers have to get taken by transport if they don't make it in time) and they also have a cut off point for running through the business district I think. I'm going to say yes to having a final cut off. As long as it gives plenty of time for almost everyone to finish. 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) I love my MP3 player. It's 50% of what gets me out of bed at 5am for my run. Carefully picked playlists can provide me with inspiration at points where I find it hard. I hadn't thought about the race thing before. I'll have to defer that one to you experts. The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? Oh - you have to wait until you've FINISHED the marathon before doing that. Note to self - stop it.
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? Steve Prefontaine, even though I would only have about 3 seconds until he would be too far ahead to hear. 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? Eva Longoria. I could probably do a marathon right now if she ran it right in front of me. Note: include politicians in both of the above; and once again, runners are some strange, strange people. I can't believe nobody said Jessica Alba. Sigh. 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) Lance Armstrong. I know he "cheats" by riding bicycles, but I'm pretty sure he could kick my ass at running as well. And now some basic pro/con for-or-against questions: 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? Against. They would get in the way of my running. 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? Against. It's too embarrasing to have someone beat me in a race while pushing a stroller. 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? For Marathons or longer....yes. You could have guys in mid-life crisis deciding that they've always wanted to do a marathon.... 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) Rock-on! The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? Ummm. 3 weeks, or long enough to gloat to your closest friends while dinning out....whichever is longer.
                        That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump
                          1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? Arthur Lydiard. One of the world's best running coaches ever. I'd make it a long, slow run so we could talk and I could learn from the master. 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? I'm still thinking... 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? Ok, I'm going to cheat a little here. My dad. He was state mile champion four years in a row in high school, and set a record that stood for nearly 20 years. I am going to define that, for my purposes, as elite. And, I pick him because we never had the chance to run together, and now he's too old. Yeah, I could have put him in question #1, but I don't think I could put Lydiard in this question. 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? I don't care, as long as they start at the back. 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? No--for safety reasons. I've seen a couple of mishaps, and they tweren't purdy. 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? At some point, you've got to cut it off. It used to be 6 hours to be considered an offical finisher. I believe the last runner at St. George last year was over 9 hours. Good for him for staying on his feet that long, but how long are the volunteers supposed to wait? 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! I don't care. Sure, fine. The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? My rule is one day--the day I finish the marathon.
                          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                          vicentefrijole

1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? My wife (aaaawwww). 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? James Brown (but maybe a younger James Brown, so he could sing "Get Up Offa That Thing" the whole way without passing out...) 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? Deena Kastor... she's an amazing athlete. 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? I'm fine with walkers, as long as they can make the race cut-off time. I agree that they shouldn't displace too many runners in a limited field, since nobody wants to watch/photograph/report on a marathon that's full of only walkers, but I don't think there are that many walkers... and walkers often evolve into runners! 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? I'm pretty firm no on this one. It's about safety... for you, for your kid, and for the other runners. I could be convinced if the race wasn't very crowded and had wide streets, but in general I think it's unneccessary. 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? This has to be left up to the race planners, but I think there are lots of practical reasons why there should be cut-off times. I'm glad there are some marathons that don't have them, but it's fine with me that they are the exception, not the rule. 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Training with music: I don't do it, but no problem if others do (So long as you do it safely!). Racing with music: This is becoming so common. I also saw a lot of people during my last marathon carrying cell phones (to check in with family/friends). Personally, I don't have any problem with other people carrying music/cellphones during a race, but I do feel sorry for those who choose to do it. Part of the thrill of running a race (especially a marathon) is taking part in the experience, not blocking it out or ignoring it. If you spend all 26.2 miles talking to grandma or zoned out to your favorite music, you miss out on talking to other runners, interacting with spectators, and really experiencing a marathon! To each their own, I guess, but I really do feel pity for those who are missing out. The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? I use EVERY run as an excuse to stuff my face... maybe not a good idea though!

madness baby

1: If you could go for a run with any person, dead or alive, who would you choose? my husband of course. anyone else and i'd feel self conscious, or they wouldn't understand why i can't talk while running. 2: Among today's celebrities, who would you choose? george bush, he'd keep me laughing and piss me off enough to get a really good pace. 3: If you could go for a run with any "elite" runner - who would you pick? (The question is looking for living people, but if dead folks is your thang, go nuts.) don't know any names, new to the sport! And now some basic pro/con for-or-against questions: 4: Walkers in marathons? - for or against? for 5: Baby strollers in races? - yes or no? probably not but really don't have an opinion 6: Race cut-off times? yes or no? no 7: Running with headphones/music/iPod? Your opinion, please! (As in, other people wearing 'em - of course you like it when YOU wear 'em, you selfish gits ...) perfectly fine. The Bonus Question: You just finished a marathon. (Congrats). How long can you use that as an excuse for stuffing your face? a couple of days Smile but does carbo-loading count too?
                              deb