Anybody use Road ID "dog tags"? (Read 1934 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Okay, that is BY FAR one of the funniest things I have ever read! Hilarious! Thanks for the giggle. Jilly
    Darn, too late! But about the Road ID... I have the shoe style but kept forgetting to switch it when I change shoes, so I put it on a Lance Armstrong "LiveStrong" wristband. Perfect!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Pros and cons to the other styles? (wristband, ankleband, shoe)
      I got my hubby and I an ankle one a year ago - love it! Never notice it.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        had one, lost it. until i get a new one, i write my emergency info on my hand or arm in permanent marker.
          I bought and use the shoe style road ID and was rotating it between my shoes as I have 2-3 pairs that I rotate between. I was going to buy another one so I wasn't taking off and on so much and a friend told me that she uses a real dog tag. I went to the pet store and for $5 had a tag made with all of my info on it and I use that now instead of rotating the road id. Cost effective and works well.
          http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
            I bought and use the shoe style road ID and was rotating it between my shoes as I have 2-3 pairs that I rotate between. I was going to buy another one so I wasn't taking off and on so much and a friend told me that she uses a real dog tag. I went to the pet store and for $5 had a tag made with all of my info on it and I use that now instead of rotating the road id. Cost effective and works well.
            yeah, i noticed that there's a kiosk in the journal square PATH station that has dog tags for $5 or so-- i think i'll just have them made there instead of going the mail-order RoadID route this time. they're cheap enough that i might have two done-- one for each town i run in primarily (my emergency contact is normally my dude, who lives in the same town as me... but 2-3x/week, i run in my old town, and it would take him too long to get to me if i needed help. been thinking i should have a separate emergency contact ID for that situation, too).

I have bought four of the dog tag style ones so far, two for me and two for my wife. The first two were from our apartment and dating days, and the more recent two were updated contact info from our house and with her new name now that we are married. I really like them. It does flop around when you run w/o a shirt or if you have a really loose collar on your shirt, but I always wear a singlet when I race and that holds it against my chest well enough. It is also handy if I want to throw a key on it for easier access than having to reach into the key pocket on the shorts, and thus safer from losing the key. Of course, then it makes an annoying jangling sound so I wind up running with the key behind my neck and the ID in front. The reason that I chose the dog tag style tags were because they are universally recognized and unlikely to become separated from my body in an accident. I have been hit by a car before and I'm not a big fan of the idea of somebody not seeing something on my shoe or not having any identification at all. I have never had the problem with getting hairs snagged, and neither has my wife who has much longer hair than me. At least, if she does snag her hairs, she has never mentioned it to me and she still wears it when she goes out to workout. No matter what you do, always wear some sort of ID even if you decide against the dog tag style. I'm paranoid; not only do I wear the road ID, but I also print my name and emergency contact phone numbers on my bibs when I race. I reviewed my road id at my site if you want to read it; it basically rehashes what I wrote here.
              I've registered for the inaugural Manchester City Marathon in New Hampshire. My kids live in Manchester with my ex, so it can be an "All In (what's left of) the Family" kinda thing. Sunday November 4th is the big day. ... Thanks to all for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.
              I am considering running this. The stickler is that I am running the Marine Corps Marathon the week before Manchester, since I didn't know about the Manchester race until a few weeks ago. I'm leaning towards running the Pisgah 50k instead of Manchester, since that's at the beginning of September, but I haven't made a final decision yet.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

How about getting a tattoo or brand? Wink
                I'm thinking about "DO NOT RESUSCITATE" Wink
                Okay, that is BY FAR one of the funniest things I have ever read! Hilarious! Thanks for the giggle. Jilly
                I wondered if anyone would comment on that!! Big grin
                *titters* Scout has little balls... *guffaw* k
                And I thought I was a Bad Dawg....

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm thinking about "DO NOT RESUSCITATE" Wink OK, now that IS the funniest thing I've seen. And BTW I love your handle. But my dogs hate it. And I thought I was a Bad Dawg....

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Well why didn't I think of this? I can just hear the guys from the Guinness ads: using dog tags for dog tags? BRILLIANT! I can attest to the quality and service from www.boomerangtags.com for dog tags, my greyhound has worn a plastic tag from them for years and it still looks brand new. They are very prompt and they're really helpful if you have any questions. I headed on over to the site, and was very happy to see that they now carry man tags. For $8.79 including shipping and tax, it's pretty hard to go wrong. I'll be sure to post when it arrives.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Too frugal  to order ID. DW insist I need it. Printed  contact  info on paper. Cut it out, placed  small section of business card in the middle of two cut outs(card board).. Placed the 3 sections together and covered with larger tape(mailing tape). Microwaved for 1 minute to seal. Punched a hole in the corner and attached to each pair of shoes. Only time will tell how long it last.

The frugal part is not completely true. I have a set of military dog tags from back in the day. No phone numbers but it does have my blood type.Smile

PS: Now, I am going to make a sign o to put on the back of race shirts. RA - MM # 3340. DW was/ is a scrapbooker. Apparently I have way to much vacation time on my hands. Long run tomorrow, thankfully.Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Trust me, the little balls will snag hairs. And it's annoying.

It's been 45 years since I wore dog tags on a chain and yes I remember them snagging the hairs on the back of my neck! Thanks for the smile!!!

I got Road ID as a gift and use the Velcro wrist band backed up with detailed online medical information. My medical info is to long to type and fold up to make a less expensive do it yourself ID.

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I'll be sure to post when it arrives.

Holy jump start Batman, I didn't think you could get a thread from 2007 to turn over in this weather.  These late breaking updates just in:

It arrived a while ago, I forgot to post.  I wore it for Manchester and I'm still wearing it as I type.  Love my boomerang tag.

And it's darned nice to see so many of the Class of '07 still at it, even if they don't post much anymore.  I hate to click on a training log like AlanF's and find lots of zeroes, so Modal's log was a very pleasant surprise.

E.J.

Holy jump start Batman, I didn't think you could get a thread from 2007 to turn over in this weather.  These late breaking updates just in:

It arrived a while ago, I forgot to post.  I wore it for Manchester and I'm still wearing it as I type.  Love my boomerang tag.

And it's darned nice to see so many of the Class of '07 still at it, even if they don't post much anymore.  I hate to click on a training log like AlanF's and find lots of zeroes, so Modal's log was a very pleasant surprise.

I love mine too!  Although, I've recentely had to change my ICE info and order new tags.     

- Anya

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well why didn't I think of this? I can just hear the guys from the Guinness ads: using dog tags for dog tags? BRILLIANT! I can attest to the quality and service from www.boomerangtags.com for dog tags, my greyhound has worn a plastic tag from them for years and it still looks brand new. They are very prompt and they're really helpful if you have any questions. I headed on over to the site, and was very happy to see that they now carry man tags. For $8.79 including shipping and tax, it's pretty hard to go wrong. I'll be sure to post when it arrives.

I don't see any reference to "man tags" on their site.

I don't see any reference to "man tags" on their site.

My wife says that all men are dogs, so just check that section.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?