Weight - and Running (Read 1336 times)

OK Everyone - I almost hate to bring this up, but I have been back running since March and have gotten my weekly distances to 20+ and am slowly working my way up to the 30 MPW level. When I started out, I weighed around 163 which is way to heavy for my 5'6" frame...... I almost immediately lost 12 lbs (couple of week)...and as I increased my running one would think I would continue to loose weight.....ALAS - I have gained up to around 156 and have maintained between 155 and 157 over the past month or so...... If you look at the BMI for my height I should weigh around 135 or so.... So it looks like I 'should' be able to loose 20 lbs and surely 10 should be easy...but it doesnt seem to be coming off 0 even with 20 MPW..... I can only imagine how much better I could/would run if I were to loose 10 and then 20 lbs (which seems reasonable for my height). Though not dieting, Im also not stuffing myself Where am I going wrong?????

Champions are made when no one is watching

Best Present Ever

I know that no amount of running made much of a dent in my weight. I had to actually restrict calories in order to lose weight. If think about it, even 30 miles a week doesn't account for all that many calories in a day. This fits too with the research that says that exercise alone doesn't work very well for weight loss, but it does contribute to successful weight loss and then maintenance.
      JakeKnight

If you look at the BMI for my height I should weigh around 135 or so.... So it looks like I 'should' be able to loose 20 lbs and surely 10 should be easy...but it doesnt seem to be coming off 0 even with 20 MPW.....
        Trent. You're on. --------------- John, you're not alone. I'd race better 10 pounds lighter. Probably much better. But food is good. Run more. Or eat less. Or both. I have trouble with that second option.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Chair Warmer

FWIW, when I got back to running in Aug 2007 after a year off, I weighed 210. My weight dropped pretty steadily over the next several months with very little change in diet. The weight loss seemed to level off around 190 and just sort of stayed there for a while. Since then, the weight has slowy come off again, albeit at a much slower rate. My weight this morning was 182. I have changed my eating habits slightly, but nothing dramatic. My weekly milage is 30-50.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Though not dieting, Im also not stuffing myself. Where am I going wrong?????
            You kind of leave the platform wide open here as we don't know anything about your diet. If you're eating a lot of processed foods, you'll get a kick start simply by scrapping most of the boxed, canned or frozen foods and replacing them with fresh or dried. Still eating white bread and rice - get thee some whole grains pronto. If you're already eating cleanly, then perhaps it's a portion issue. Of course we all burn more when heavier and plateaus require something new in your routine to break through. So maybe it's time to introduce your family to some new recipes and see if that helps. I'm certainly not an expert, but I have reinvented myself with diet and exercise. Running has done wonderful things for me, but it works in tandem with my food choices. I've never been one of the lucky ones whose appetite disappears after a long run. Smile Good luck!
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run

running yogi

You kind of leave the platform wide open here as we don't know anything about your diet. If you're eating a lot of processed foods, you'll get a kick start simply by scrapping most of the boxed, canned or frozen foods and replacing them with fresh or dried. Still eating white bread and rice - get thee some whole grains pronto. If you're already eating cleanly, then perhaps it's a portion issue. Of course we all burn more when heavier and plateaus require something new in your routine to break through. So maybe it's time to introduce your family to some new recipes and see if that helps. I'm certainly not an expert, but I have reinvented myself with diet and exercise. Running has done wonderful things for me, but it works in tandem with my food choices. I've never been one of the lucky ones whose appetite disappears after a long run. Smile Good luck!
              +1 everything. My weight loss kicked off when I got rid of processed food, especially anything that contains HFCS and you will be surprised how many "good for you" food items contain HFCS. Running motivates me to eat healthy.
                +1 everything. My weight loss kicked off when I got rid of processed food, especially anything that contains HFCS and you will be surprised how many "good for you" food items contain HFCS.
                Thanks to you and maplefly -- as a general rule, I eat pretty well.....probably too big of portions.....and the occasional ice cream or cookies (but thats not every night).....so Im guessing it portions....... What is HFCS? Im not familiar with the acronym....

RunZRun --- tell me a little about your YOGA??? Yoga is something I have toyed with but not really gotten into, but I am interested in it....

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Where am I going wrong?????
                      I believe in calories in must be less than calories out in order to lose weight. So you must be eating more now than you did before you started running. When you first start running your eating habits may not have changed much so you lost weight. In time you slowly but surely must have started eating more.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Running makes me hungry as!!! I might be one of the lucky ones that loses appetite after a run but it comes back the next day and brings friends. Without noticing it I find that running makes me want to eat more. Also, and I'm not saying running is bad... just in terms of weight loss, running isn't the very very best choice. In general resistance based and interval training along with something very low hr but lots of it like slow slow running or walking. It it good for all sorts of other things but you might want to down the mileage and add in that other stuff for 3 months or so while you take off some serious pounds and then, when you up the mileage again carefully watch your food intake and weight and see what happens. I think that for me, running might be good at helping me maintain but not lose weight and I love running and NEED to lose weight so it is sort of unfortunate.
                        The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                        • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                        • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                        • Complete a 10K fun run
                          There are a million diet theories out there on the internet. Big grin One thing that helps is to count every calorie and record in in some sort of log - otherwise the mind could play tricks on itself and we might really eat more than we think we did. Cross training in addition and alternate with running might also help with weight loss by using different muscles to increase calorie burning.
                            There are a million diet theories out there on the internet. Big grin One thing that helps is to count every calorie and record in in some sort of log.
                            I know about this and have never done it - until yesterday. I bought a little notebook just for this purpose and am going to log everything for a while...and see where it takes me. I know that in almost every diet or loose weight program, logging it all is a main component....... At least Ill should know if I'm fooling with myself about my eating habits..... Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

you will be surprised how many "good for you" food items contain HFCS.
                              Yes...my MIL firmly believes that low-fat = healthy and buys a lot of "healthy" stuff that replaces natural fats with HFCS. She has very high triglycerides...surprise!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yes...my MIL firmly believes that low-fat = healthy and buys a lot of "healthy" stuff that replaces natural fats with HFCS. She has very high triglycerides...surprise!
                                I firmly believe that this is the reason there is an obesity epidemic in this country..... JMHO.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"