How many races do you target in the summer/fall/year? (Read 138 times)

Wondering how many races you target?

I have a 5k in 11.5 weeks, those are my only plans so far really, although there will be a hillier 5k after that in the fall, which I'll probably run, or another / different 5k around that time.

no plans for other races, depending how the training goes, perhaps something else up to 10k, there is a 4 miler on the 4th, which might be something.

oh and there should be a 1 mile race at the end of summer I'm planning to do.

300m- 37 sec.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wondering how many races you target?

Target or enter and run? I target only 2-3 races a year to peak for optimal performance. Depending on what distances I am focusing on I may race anywhere from 5-6 (HM and up) to 25-35 (800m to 10K) races a year, but I train through most of them and/or use them as quality workouts.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Target or enter and run? I target only 2-3 races a year to peak for optimal performance. Depending on what distances I am focusing on I may race anywhere from 5-6 (HM and up) to 25-35 (800m to 10K) races a year, but I train through most of them and/or use them as quality workouts.

Me too, "targeting" a few, but racing more.  I seem to take the winter and summer off from racing, doing just training runs, except for a couple 5ks, and then I run mostly halves, 2-4 each in the spring and fall, with perhaps one full each year.  But I'm a middle-aged desk jockey who's fairly new to running, and not as avid or experienced a runner as many in this community.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Kifly178

I usually enter and run 10 or so races a year. I slow down during the winter but I never stop. I run everything from 5k's to half M's. Of course a full in in my sights......maybe this year!

2018 Scheduled Races "so far"

(4M) 2.4 NYC  /  (4M) 2.24 NYC / (5K) 3.4 NYC / (Half) 3.18 NYC / (4M) 4.8 NYC / (10K) 4.29 NYC / (5M) 6.3 NYC / (4M) 6.24 NYC / (7M) 7.5 NYC / 

snake84

One and that's just to have something to train for. I see numbers like 10/yr and wounder how many of them someone could peak for. Maybe they just enjoy the atmosphere.

I have to say that the race community is so nice regardless of where you go. Everyone has their own level to compete at. It's more of an event then a competition; at least at the local level.

zero.

I don't race (lol)

but if I did, I'd have a "racing season" of about 6-8 weeks, and hit one every other week.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Depends on the distance. 5Ks you can run pretty much every weekend if you want, but your training will suffer because of it.

I know people run more than 2 marathons a year, but I don't think more than 2 is wise.

I'd say if you're training for 10K or less, targeting 6-10 races a year is a pretty good level.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In 9 years, I have run 109 races.

Thank you, RA Reports feature.

npaden

71 races in the last 5 years for me per the reports feature.

Our running club has 13 races per year and I generally run most of those.  They are $5 each unless they are a "t-shirt race" and those are $20.  Most of the time I race them, but sometimes if I'm training specifically for another race I will use them as a training run depending on what I'm supposed to be running that day.  I have a half marathon "race" this Saturday that is really a Marathon Pace Tempo run on my schedule.

I will "target" probably 4 or 5 specific races each year that I will tailor my training schedule specifically for those races.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So you think 28 races in two months may have been over doing it a bit?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Marky_Mark_17

Over the past couple I've years I've tended to do ~8 half marathons per year with an occasional 10k or 5k thrown in, plus I did a marathon last year, so call it 10 overall.  Part of the reason for that volume of races is that there is a very good half marathon series in my area with 4 races (now 5) between spring and autumn.

Personally I can't race all of the HMs as full efforts (the 5k or 10k are more manageable though as JMac said).  So I pick probably 3 races that will be goal races, and target my preparation and training at those.  The other races I will tend to run at 90-95% effort depending how I'm feeling.

And from my own experience, I would never seriously go at more than 2 marathons a year, I was busted enough after 1!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

This year I plan on doing two 5Ks, one 15-mile trail race, 3 (maybe 4) HMs, and two full marathons. I usually do a 10K, but this year my regular 10K takes place on the same day as one of my HMs.

tcg

I don't know what target means but I have 3 races a year I won't miss. A 4th of July run we've been doing forever, an August run we've been doing since my freind died. It's a fund raiser for the hospice home that took excellent care of him, and the Detroit Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.

I did the Detroit International Half last year and was contemplating it this year but my daughter is trying to convince me to join her relay team for the full marathon. I think I might do that.

I've got some real issues with both ankles. The left one makes it difficult to walk some days. I have bone spurs on the backs of my heels that damaged the tendons. The left ankle they actually broke off and are causing lots of pain. I can run but the first mile is painful, after that once the tendons stretch out a little I can go for a while but the next morning I can hardly walk when I get out of bed.

Steroid shots give a few weeks of relief but I'm leery of doing it more often so I just deal with the pain. Surgery is an option. They separate the tendon from the bone, remove the spurs, and then reattach the tendon. Couple weeks in a cast and then a couple weeks recovery.

That's a fall project in the next year or two.

In the meantime I'll just keep running until I can't, races and all. I think my days of placing in my age group may be done though.

hog4life

I would say 2-3 is a reasonable goal for target racing. There are lots of people that will do more races, but I feel they are done more for the camaraderie, or to get in a workout like others have mentioned. I think each person has a different goal when it comes to races.

I did three 50k’s plus a marathon for a 119.2 mile challenge over 10 weeks. Although the whole challenge was the target, I didn’t race any of them, it was more about finishing to get the title of baddazz! There were only 17 of us that completed it this year.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

And then there's the folks who run 9 races/year as part of the 9+1 to get into the NY Marathon.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28