"In GPS We Trust" (Read 2287 times)

mikeymike

... Mikey, no comment? No gloat?

Sorry, I've been distracted by real life lately....Ha!  See, Garmins just hold you back!  Told you so.

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you had more than one confounding factor there and the other thing is that there are just plain day-to-day differences in racing.

But I've never really seen a value in having some external display of my pace that often and it's one of those things I've never been able to explain on here.

It's one thing to check the watch or the timing clock at mile markers to confirm how fast I think I'm running, but for the other 99% of the race I find it much more productive to focus on how hard I'm working and on trying to stay "smooth and fast."  Funny thing is I'm usually really, really close to how fast I think I'm running.

For me, racing has always been an effort.  It's really hard to get just right and it requires paying a lot of attention to all the signals my body is sending and having a garmin just distracts from that.  Whenever people talk about using a Garmin to pace themselves I'm always thinking "but what do you do with that information?" If you'r running at the right effort what difference does it make what the Garmin says?  And if you're not, what difference does it make what the Garmin says?  You can only do what you can do.

This is true for me even in long races.  I remember after my PR marathon being physically wiped for sure but even more mentally exhausted.  The mental focus it took to put out that exact effort without going over the red line over 26.2 mi was immense.  I definitely don't think I could have done it if even a tiny corner of my consciousness had been diverted to the Garmin or if any doubt had crept in because of some mile split was not what it should have been.

Runners run

I'd have to agree with you Mikey, although I do run with it. What I've been trying to do lately is disable the automatic lap distance and try to hit the lap button at the course mile markers. That way I can check from time to time what the mile split is without wondering if the GPS accuracy is bad for whatever reason.

I haven't been doing that for very long and its tough to remember to hit the lap button when you get to the markers, but when I do forget, I don't really care that much. Hell its tough to just hit the stop button when you cross the finish timing mat.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

bhearn

For me, racing has always been an effort.  It's really hard to get just right and it requires paying a lot of attention to all the signals my body is sending and having a garmin just distracts from that.  Whenever people talk about using a Garmin to pace themselves I'm always thinking "but what do you do with that information?" If you'r running at the right effort what difference does it make what the Garmin says?  And if you're not, what difference does it make what the Garmin says?  You can only do what you can do.

I guess what I'm trying to do by using the Garmin is avoid a lot of that effort. To do that effectively, I have to have a really good idea, from training or recent races, what I should be capable of in the current race. Then as long as I run to that level by Garmin, until I'm close enough to the finish to give it my all, then I don't have to do all that subjective weighing. The difference between what I planned on and what I turn out to be capable of on race day generally shows up in the last mile.

The weaknesses of this approach come when (1) you don't have a really good idea what you should be capable of, either because of fitness uncertainty or because of course variability and conditions, or (2) you don't have a good idea of the accuracy of what the Garmin is telling you, generally because you are unsure about whether the mile markers are accurate. (2) is what bit me most on Sunday.

I can see that running your way is a very different thing, without the above weaknesses, and though it takes more effort, it could potentially be more rewarding as well. I'm afraid, though, that I would always be second guessing myself. Did I *really* run that last mile at the right effort? Am I being a wuss, or am I being foolhardy? By Garmin, ideally, I know.

Why is it sideways?

By Garmin, ideally, I know.

Really? How?

bhearn

This is true for me even in long races.  I remember after my PR marathon being physically wiped for sure but even more mentally exhausted.  The mental focus it took to put out that exact effort without going over the red line over 26.2 mi was immense.  I definitely don't think I could have done it if even a tiny corner of my consciousness had been diverted to the Garmin or if any doubt had crept in because of some mile split was not what it should have been.

Whereas for my marathon PR, the only mentally taxing part was M22-24, when I was uncertain I would make my goal. Otherwise, and maybe this is selective memory, but it was just clicking off the miles according to my paceband.

bhearn

Really? How?

I mean, if I have a plan to run pace X, and I see by Garmin that I ran the last mile at pace X, then by definition I ran that mile at the correct effort. I say "ideally" because of vagaries of Garmin error and mile marker placement.

Why is it sideways?

I mean, if I have a plan to run pace X, and I see by Garmin that I ran the last mile at pace X, then by definition I ran that mile at the correct effort. I say "ideally" because of vagaries of Garmin error and mile marker placement.

I thought the "ideally" was a reference to the fact that it is impossible to construct an ideal race plan. If you execute your race pacing plan, you can't say that you ran at the perfect effort or whether your were a wuss or foolhardy, all you can say is that you executed your race pacing plan. (Which may be enough.)

I have found the Garmin helpful for the first quarter to half of most races, especially the marathon.  Maybe I'm unique, but I've went out plenty of times where 20+ seconds over my planned race pace feels easy....at least until it is too late to recover.  Once you get into the 2nd half to last quarter of the race, I totally agree with Mikey, you have to run by feel, the Garmin can't tell you what you have left in the tank, only what your current pace is, which could be faster or slower then your maximum effort to carry you through. 

Personally, my best races have been when I had the Garmin to keep me in check the first half, and after that, just running by feel.  Also, something that a lot of high school/college runners take for granted is just years of experience racing.  A lot of us just started running in our 30's or 40's, and may train alone 95% of the time.  Without the experience, the Garmin may at least keep folks from trashing themselves in the beginning of the race.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My last couple races, I found that as I grew tired, I grew less sharp and focused.  I slipped off the pace that I knew I should have been able to run without even really realizing it.  My Garmin was the first clue to that.  The second clue was that people started passing me.  Putting these clues together, I woke up and pushed harder.  In these few cases, the pace on the Garmin, although imprecise and inaccurate, simply refocused me.

bhearn

I thought the "ideally" was a reference to the fact that it is impossible to construct an ideal race plan. If you execute your race pacing plan, you can't say that you ran at the perfect effort or whether your were a wuss or foolhardy, all you can say is that you executed your race pacing plan. (Which may be enough.)

I can say that I ran at the perfect effort, according to my plan, which in hindsight might turn out to have been wussy or foolhardy. Anyway I am not second guessing my performance during the race (though I may well be second guessing my plan).

It's similar to how I manage my weight. I'm one of those people who can't just eat healthy or eat a reasonable amount of food. If I want to control my weight, I count calories. This is at times a pain, but it also relieves a huge burden, that of trying to accurately estimate based on the quality of food I'm eating etc. how much I should eat. I eat what I want, I count calories, and I eat or not eat based on my budget. My spreadsheet does my weight management for me; my Garmin does my race management for me.

mikeymike

Yeah this is one of those things where we're never going to understand each other.  It's like a right brain left brain thing only different.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

It's like a right brain left brain thing only different.

Right brain, wrong brain?

bhearn

Yeah this is one of those things where we're never going to understand each other.  It's like a right brain left brain thing only different.

Oh, I think I understand you. And I think I will run my next short race sans Garmin, as an experiment if nothing else.

mikeymike

My last couple races, I found that as I grew tired, I grew less sharp and focused.  I slipped off the pace that I knew I should have been able to run without even really realizing it.  My Garmin was the first clue to that.  The second clue was that people started passing me.  Putting these clues together, I woke up and pushed harder.  In these few cases, the pace on the Garmin, although imprecise and inaccurate, simply refocused me.

Training wheels can keep you from falling down so you can get used to the mechanics of riding a bike and gain some confidence.  But once you know how to ride without them, all they do is slow you down.

Runners run