Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

I will listen to my original inclination to exit the thread now.

Just sayin'

Just a quick fact check to call B.S. on this statement.  Most of your others are suspect as well, but I'm positive that my insurance rates are not affected by the fact that I own 7 guns.  I keep them in a locked safe at all times though so I hope I don't need to use one for self defense.

I did not make this up.  

http://www.1stallianceinsurance.com/blog/how_guns_affect_home_insurance.aspx

http://realestate.msn.com/11-things-that-make-home-insurance-rates-soar

http://www.bloomberg.com/money-gallery/2012-02-02/home-insurance-what-sends-rates-soaring.html#slide6

All of this discussion has made me respect Bob Costas just a little bit more.    

Gey gezundeheit.  I am out. 

npaden

I did not make this up.  

http://www.1stallianceinsurance.com/blog/how_guns_affect_home_insurance.aspx

http://realestate.msn.com/11-things-that-make-home-insurance-rates-soar

http://www.bloomberg.com/money-gallery/2012-02-02/home-insurance-what-sends-rates-soaring.html#slide6

All of this discussion has made me respect Bob Costas just a little bit more.    

Gey gezundeheit.  I am out. 

LOL - they have guns right there after dogs, trampolines and treehouses.  Haven't ever had my insurance agent ask me about any of those things or my guns.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BIS

High Horse

I have owned and grown up around firearms. Dad taught me how to shoot pretty young and to handle and respect guns for what they are. Tools that are powerful and directly purposeful for their intended purposes.

I also learned how to run long blade chain saws, also potentially deadly. I still have my legs.

As a young teen I used a firearm to stop a home invasion. Just a bolt action deer rifle with open sights, but that was plenty for a guy trying to pry open our glass slider. I was home alone with my younger sister. 

All this in the late 1970's in San Carlos CA. A pretty wealthy neighborhood in suburbia that was more than considered safe. 

I guess that Dad might have been arrested today for leaving a 13 y/o and his younger sister in a house with access to riffle and ammo.

Whatever. 

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Has any one ever commented upon the instances of weapons owners intervening and preventing a crime in progress? Oh my he/she could of killed the innocent perpetrator of the crime. The weapons owner will be villified by the press for acting recklessly in regards to the criminal's life.

Now stand back and let some money grubbing Shylock get robbed when you could of prevented it and you get raked over the coals also.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Why is it sideways?

Two very important articles on this issue: Here and Here.

LOL - they have guns right there after dogs, trampolines and treehouses.  Haven't ever had my insurance agent ask me about any of those things or my guns.

I said I was out, but . . . we have a trampoline and three borderline insane boys but have no clue if that affects our insurance (although everybody and their brother has told us how dangerous it is blah blah blah).  I am pretty sure that our 8-pound Morky is not considered a threat.  If I was wrong about the insurance, I accept the knuckle-rap. 

now i'm out. 

Imminent Catastrophe

To summarize:

ATTENTION CELEBRITIES:  SHUT THE F@@K UP! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Two very important articles on this issue: Here and Here.

Outstanding links.  Do not disregard!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I think we need to focus more on the real victims here...

that's right the Carolina Panthers

Not only did we have to play the Saints the first game back in the Super Dome after Katrina but we had to play the Chiefs after this whole emotionally compromising murder/suicide thing.

We're like the bad kids from The Karate Kid.

As far as guns go, not a fan but I was taught to shoot as a kid. It was my uncle's strategy for keeping us from messin' with his guns when he wasn't around. Lemme tell ya if we're ever attacked by a beer can sitting on a fence post I'm ON IT. Yes I am from Texas, why do you ask?

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Connecticut.  Portland. 

Feeling the growl again

Connecticut.  Portland. 

Yup.  Because if someone had been there to stop him instead of let him keep shooting on and on at those helpless kids, we wouldn't have such a large tragedy.  But, as usual, the police arrived promptly enough to string out yellow tape and write a report.  Thank goodness.

You know, when I first heard about this I was thinking of the victims and families and of my own kids that age.  I can't really put it in good words but I find it extremely distasteful that your first instinct was apparently to look up this dumb thread and go "See???  See???"

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

You know, when I first heard about this I was thinking of the victims and families and of my own kids that age.  I can't really put it in good words but I find it extremely distasteful that your first instinct was apparently to look up this dumb thread and go "See???  See???"

+ billion (I wondered why this thread was back on the top line).

I may have been too kind with my "sheltered" comment. Sheesh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I said I was out, but . . . we have a trampoline and three borderline insane boys but have no clue if that affects our insurance (although everybody and their brother has told us how dangerous it is blah blah blah).  I am pretty sure that our 8-pound Morky is not considered a threat.  If I was wrong about the insurance, I accept the knuckle-rap. 

now i'm out. 

Three borderline insane boys...    Teenagers perhaps?!   Smile

Just asking for 2 reasons:  

1)  I have three teen boys, age 14, 14 (identical twins), and 15.   My kids are raised well, but I don't put ANY possibility past the sometimes illogical minds of modern day teenagers.  They can make some really dumb-ass decisions sometimes!  No guns in the house 'till them kiddos move out  :-)

and 2)  The other reason for me asking is to drag you back into the thread you are trying to escape from. Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Three borderline insane boys...    Teenagers perhaps?!   Smile

Just asking for 2 reasons:  

1)  I have three teen boys, age 14, 14 (identical twins), and 15.   My kids are raised well, but I don't put ANY possibility past the sometimes illogical minds of modern day teenagers.  They can make some really dumb-ass decisions sometimes!  No guns in the house 'till them kiddos move out  :-)

and 2)  The other reason for me asking is to drag you back into the thread you are trying to escape from. Big grin

As of last month, all teenagers and all filled with the usual teenage delusional thinking.