Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

Prince of Fatness

1)  Anything resembling the functionality of an uzi has been illegal to the public since 1934, with the exception of a small number of Class III licenses.  The restrictions placed on people with Class III licenses are extremely strict.  IIRC there has been like a single crime committed with a weapon owned under a Class III license, and it was committed by a police officer.  The "assault weapon" characteristics often talked about mostly have more to do with cosmetics than actual functional characteristics of the firearm that make it somehow more lethal.

2)  Technically incorrect in many states, if by gun permit you mean a permit to carry.  Many have mandatory renewals, a few do not.  If you mean background checks when purchasing?  No those are not followed up on because in a lot of states you don't need a permit in general to buy a gun, just pass the background check.  However, if you subsequently do something that would make you fail a future background check, like commit certain crimes or get put on probation, you cannot keep your firearms.  It would be nice if pertinent psych issues were defined and flagged people but there is no capacity to do that currently.

1) I probably got that wrong because I don't know the terminology. I don't know how many rounds per amount of time classify a gun in a category.  I can ask my friend for clarification as there is enough to concern him.  Also remember that he is in law enforcement so there is that bias.

2) Yeah I meant background checks when purchasing.  If you are a model citizen after purchase there is no follow up.  This does not happen here in NJ, where gun laws are quite strict.  Is it unreasonable to ask someone to renew their gun permit every so often?  As you said defining parameters for revocation could get messy.  But is it worth trying?  I don't know,

Again not being a gun guy I am not very familiar with the gun laws, and was trying to relay my friend's thoughts as clearly as possible.  This conversation took place weeks ago, so I may have missed some points.  But I have known this guy a long time and trust his opinion, and a lot of what he said made sense to me at the time.

Really the conversation we had was similar to this thread (not heated however) and demonstrated to me that a knee jerk, take everyone's guns, reaction will not fix the problem.  Let there be a debate, a consensus, and a solution that we all can live with (yeah it's that easy, hah).

Not at it at all. 

C-R

It was more inflammatory than that -- but I can't recall the details. I might look it up -- back to that enjoyment at nitpicking....

Didn't inflame me. Its a friggin imaginary running board after all. None of you people exist IRL right. Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Columbine -- Gabrielle Giffords --  Aurora -- Sandy Hook.  Common sense.

Then why doesn't it work in the most gun restrictive environemnts of the US (DC and Chicago). I would counter that referecing common sense offers nothing other than an empty platitude based on their unsuccessful examples.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Then why doesn't it work in the most gun restrictive environemnts of the US (DC and Chicago). 

The problem is not the laws per se, but the easy availability of guns; which of course is partly a consequence of the relative ease of legal ownership across the country as a whole.

Most of the the civilized world thinks you Americans are completely crazy when it comes to guns, but for the most part we understand that you don't care what we think...

Let's twist this thread a different direction. (OP mental state should be the topic of discussion)

Massacres. Been happening since forever.

How come I didn't hear about this one. May 25, 2012. Houla massacre.

Approximately 108 people were killed with knives in the Syrian town of Houla. Approximately 49 children, 34 women and another 25 men were among the victims.

Quick take away. I'd be more likely to be killed by the police or military, than by a random attack from a gun owner.

Get off my porch

Then why doesn't it work in the most gun restrictive environemnts of the US (DC and Chicago). I would counter that referecing common sense offers nothing other than an empty platitude based on their unsuccessful examples.

However, although I understand what you're saying with your post, I think Cheevers is saying that those 4 incidences (listed below) relate to psychologically disturbed individuals who have access to guns.  I believe there's a problem within our society that we we're being forced to deal with.

Columbine -- Gabrielle Giffords --  Aurora -- Sandy Hook.  Common sense.

CR, the DC & Chicago examples you provide relate to crimes within the inner cities (gang violence).

I'm torn between what I know is right and proper for our society and our constitution (2nd Ammendment) with the right to protect ourselves from our government and the need and opportunity to protect ourselves from those who are mentally instable.  I don't know how we should deal with it, but I don't believe we can ignore it.  I also don't believe we need to take measures that'll harm us as citizens within this American empire.

I don't necessarily care about the firm arguments of the hunters as that distorts what I believe to be the true rights provided through the 2nd ammendment, although I respect the rights to hunt and the enjoyment they receive from it.

MTA: I agree with OldMan.  This thread should relate to mental illness, not gun control.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Also, if you add in the steroids thing, you have a whole other element to add to this story. I am not talking 'roid rage even - or even how they do/don't correlate to the murder....just that his character, which had been considered to be top notch, was not what it appeared.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Feeling the growl again

1) I probably got that wrong because I don't know the terminology. I don't know how many rounds per amount of time classify a gun in a category.  I can ask my friend for clarification as there is enough to concern him.  Also remember that he is in law enforcement so there is that bias.

2) Yeah I meant background checks when purchasing.  If you are a model citizen after purchase there is no follow up.  This does not happen here in NJ, where gun laws are quite strict.  Is it unreasonable to ask someone to renew their gun permit every so often?  As you said defining parameters for revocation could get messy.  But is it worth trying?  I don't know,

Again not being a gun guy I am not very familiar with the gun laws, and was trying to relay my friend's thoughts as clearly as possible.  This conversation took place weeks ago, so I may have missed some points.  But I have known this guy a long time and trust his opinion, and a lot of what he said made sense to me at the time.

Really the conversation we had was similar to this thread (not heated however) and demonstrated to me that a knee jerk, take everyone's guns, reaction will not fix the problem.  Let there be a debate, a consensus, and a solution that we all can live with (yeah it's that easy, hah).

Per #1, I did not read the article Jeff posted until after I replied to you.  Now I see where the uzi thing came from.  It was a good article (thanks Jeff) but the guy would have been better to leave uzis out of it.  It's really a distraction from his main point and not at all what is being currently discussed; very few people have legal access to weapons like that (full auto).  Semi auto weapons are what is being discussed and they all have about the same speed of firing, one round each pull of the trigger.  I've also demonstrated to people that I can empty a pump action shotgun or revolver as fast as a semi auto one.  Smile  MTA - it was also nice for him to talk about perhaps the need to take away the kinds of guns his friends like to use...but he stopped short of discussing his willingness to conceded to giving up the ones like the revolver he had with his gunsmith.  It's a more insightful discussion when one is talking about conceding things that impact them personally (and I have seen this discussion on gun forums).

Per the whole permit renewal thing -- I wrote something last night that would discuss in more detail and I am debating whether to finish it and post it.  But in short no, I do not think it would be unreasonable to periodically check and see if people have had updates to their psych or criminal status.  The issue with that comes in translating that from a reasonable proposal to what the implementation would actually look like...and that is where gun owners have serious concerns.  Perhaps more on that later.  You people are imaginary but work is not.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

I thought the most interesting point in the article was that for safety reasons, guns can't be made into a disposable consumption item like everything else in America -- they have to be made too well. So, consumers have to have other reasons to go out and buy new guns: namely, the fear that someone, somewhere wants to restrict X gun.

In a weird way, threads like these are gun advertisements.

It's hard to imagine he thought she was an intruder. In a way, it's probably the only possible defense there is, and maybe he's convinced himself that's how it happened in order to cope with the whole thing. Or maybe his lawyer knows just enough to be able to make that argument on his behalf in good conscience.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/olympics/2013/02/19/pistorius-says-intentions-kill-girlfriend/oph7xykU91siWpmmrwnsnN/story.html

Runners run

I thought the most interesting point in the article was that for safety reasons, guns can't be made into a disposable consumption item like everything else in America -- they have to be made too well. So, consumers have to have other reasons to go out and buy new guns: namely, the fear that someone, somewhere wants to restrict X gun.

In a weird way, threads like these are gun advertisements.

The president should say he is going to ban everything. This economy would be humming along in no time.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

guns can't be made into a disposable consumption item like everything else in America

Well actually they have been. Liberator pistol in WW2.

Get off my porch

npaden

Well actually they have been. Liberator pistol in WW2.

A relative has an original of those, he just had it laying in a glass case at his house.  He told me about it and I googled it and turns out the orignals are worth quite a bit of money.  I think they cost under $5 each to manufacture, but are worth close to $2,000 today.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

#artbydmcbride

It's hard to imagine he thought she was an intruder. In a way, it's probably the only possible defense there is, and maybe he's convinced himself that's how it happened in order to cope with the whole thing. Or maybe his lawyer knows just enough to be able to make that argument on his behalf in good conscience.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/olympics/2013/02/19/pistorius-says-intentions-kill-girlfriend/oph7xykU91siWpmmrwnsnN/story.html

I don't think the 'intruder' defense has a chance.  I think he is going for "I was really really angry and just wanted to scare her.  I had no idea bullets can go through doors"

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

It's an implausible argument, but also is hard to refute absolutely.