arch pain, hamstring pain - am I knacked? (Read 714 times)

hairshirt knitter

I've had pain in my right arch for weeks now - hasn't got any worse, nor has it really improved much. Same with my right hamstring/piriformis - nothing too major and I have been running consistently, including racing and speedwork (managed a tough 25k race yesterday at goal pace) on it.

I feel like I recovered well from the weekend race, didn't run today. I'm wondering though whether to cut my running right back for a week, and see if it clears the niggles before we get into race season proper? The danger is that I take a rest week, go crazy from no running and be no better at the end!

I can't decide whether to risk it, what do you think?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where on your arch does it hurt?  Medial or lateral?  I dealt with lateral arch pain for a while and was able to be rid of that problem (which I suspected was irritated peroneal tendons) by moving to a more flexible shoe.  My feet can't do stiff running shoes...at all.

Not sure about the hamstring/piriformis.  Those are areas that I've been really fortunate to never have had issue with. *knock on wood*

Your issues may or may not be connected.  I would definitely take a week off to see what happens, though.  4 Summers ago I had relatively minor issues rear up in May and dogged me all damned Summer, including mucking up my training for my first marathon.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

hairshirt knitter

The arch pain is medial and seems to be related to a sticky tibialis posterior! And of course your knee bone is connected to your neck bone, so the hamstring thing is likely to be implicated. It all probably stems from a stiff lower back from sitting in front of this damn computer too long! Sigh.

I've been trying to do more core/upper strength work and stretching, and have spent a lot more time on my turbo trainer this past few weeks - I hope that's not cause related.

I'm not good at recovery weeks - do I not run at all, or just lower easy miles? Do I take up the slack on my bike, or just take everything easy for a few days, a whole week?

Zoom-zoom, I hear what you are saying about ignoring minor issues - I thought these were 'run through-able', but they haven't gone in a couple of months now.

Yeah, I've been living with back-of-the-arch pain, too. But like you said, it's really not prohibitive. I found that with stretching, self-massage and drinking up, I make a lot of headway.  Might be the same for you.

I put "sticky tibialis posterior" into Google.  Looks like "acquired flat foot."  I acquired flat feet probably around the third trimester.

I also found this.  (Isn't Grey's beautiful?)

Bingo! I have tightness from the arch and all along the inner calf, to the point that it grabs the shin near the top. 

Zooms, nice observation on the shoes. I am starting to realize that on the day after I wear the clunkers, the arch pain is pretty bad. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

hairshirt knitter

Yep, that's the tibialis posterior fella right there. You can definitely feel the effect of the adhesion if you run a thumb up in between the shin bone and the muscle - ouch ya besom. Flat feet, yes, "I acquired flat feet probably around the third trimester" - hahaha.

I think I'll run no miles for a couple of days, with some easy(ish) biking, lots of core and stretching, and see if it feels any better - then take it from there.

Shoes is an interesting one. I had been running in worn out mc shoes (asics foundation), and slowly introduced some lighter shoes (asics sky speed). I don't know if this started because of the lighter shoe introduction, or the worn out heavy shoe! Now, I don't know whether to concentrate on the light shoes, or ditch them in favour of new 2160s!

Yep, that's the tibialis posterior fella right there. You can definitely feel the effect of the adhesion if you run a thumb up in between the shin bone and the muscle - ouch ya besom. Flat feet, yes, "I acquired flat feet probably around the third trimester" - hahaha.

I think I'll run no miles for a couple of days, with some easy(ish) biking, lots of core and stretching, and see if it feels any better - then take it from there.

Shoes is an interesting one. I had been running in worn out mc shoes (asics foundation), and slowly introduced some lighter shoes (asics sky speed). I don't know if this started because of the lighter shoe introduction, or the worn out heavy shoe! Now, I don't know whether to concentrate on the light shoes, or ditch them in favour of new 2160s!

Yup.

Zero running didn't work for me, but maybe it will be different for you. 

I wouldn't get too crazy messing with all these variables at once. If you're shoes are work out, yeah, maybe replace them. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

hairshirt knitter

Yes, too many variables...

I've been running in the 2160s for about three weeks, with the skyspeeds for quality days. There has been a fair amount of quality work recently too. I thought it was just an adaptation thing; new shoes, light shoes, speedwork, increased bike miles - hence running through it.

... but it's not getting better. I just can't decide low miles, or no miles, or which variables to cut out to see what helps.