Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all. I had a gut feeling that the second I got Hearn in here the pace would pick up.  Subdood, I first read about the 180 cadence in Jack Daniels' book and what amazed me is that he said all great runners run at this pace no matter the speed.  I didn't believe him at first but later learned he is right.  That's a fascinating metric and I think I will include it in the article.

For those of you who wish to add comments on the logic, or lack thereof, for any of these "rules", I will message you offline to ask if I can quote you.

One of the rules I mentioned in my original post was "three times the daily average run" in terms of sustaining MP.  I am a firm believer that it works, or let's just say it's at least close.  What's been others' experience.  Thanks, Ribs

bhearn

I'm not really big on running rules of thumb. But I do like this one.

Run a lot.  Mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Once they start to get more specific there are always too many exceptions.

1 day rest/recovery for every mile raced. Not that I closely follow this one.

Funny thing, in the ultra community, the rule is 1 day rest for every 10 miles raced. Same rule -- just off by a factor of 10. And that one I do more or less follow. If I took a day off for every mile raced, after my New Year's 24-hour race, I would not be able to run at all this year until summer.

rlopez

I think Wrigley's percentages may be a bit off but her post was funny.  And now that she's broken the ice, where are bhearn, spaniel, srlopez and all the knowledgeable posters?  Spareribs

I shall wait for the knowledgeable posters to get their shots in.  :-)

(ok, in truth I only post around here once every few weeks these days.  That said, most rules of thumb are only slightly less useful than a hand without a thumb.  I have broken every single one, including "do nothing new on race day" and lived to tell the tale. It's all about risk management.  So I guess I will leave you with two thoughts: 1) "drink if you are thirsty. If you aren't, don't."  2) Wrigley's % is a little off. It is only 657%.)

One of the rules I mentioned in my original post was "three times the daily average run" in terms of sustaining MP.  I am a firm believer that it works, or let's just say it's at least close.  What's been others' experience.  Thanks, Ribs

I don't get it...what do you mean by this?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          bhearn

That said, most rules of thumb are only slightly less useful than a hand without a thumb.

That's a much better way of saying what I said.

1) "drink if you are thirsty. If you aren't, don't.

Yes. Or, for ultras, I really like this official advice from the Western States medical research director:

bhearn

Another ultra rule of thumb -- take in 250-350 cal / hour, or you'll crash.

I take in < 100 these days.

Training (course) specificity.

Just as one should spend time training at race pace, you should also train for the course on similar terrain (flat, hilly, road, trail, etc)

You don't have to, but I believe your chances improve for a much better race if you do.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

#artbydmcbride

I don't get it...what do you mean by this?

me either....what if your daily run is 5 miles?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thank you all. I had a gut feeling that the second I got Hearn in here the pace would pick up.  Subdood, I first read about the 180 cadence in Jack Daniels' book and what amazed me is that he said all great runners run at this pace no matter the speed.  I didn't believe him at first but later learned he is right.  That's a fascinating metric and I think I will include it in the article.

If you can find it, check the Boston Globe coverage of the 1970 Boston Marathon won by Ron Hill. If I remember correctly, the writer mentioned that Hill ran like a metronome with a methodical 162 strides per minute. My personal observation is that stride rate of elites varies from about 170 to over 190.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Just a dude.

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

My one running rule to live by is: Rules, like thumbs, are made to be broken.

I wonder if we can further sub-divide rules of thumbs into categories such as "left thumb", "right thumb", or "two thumbs up"?

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

You earn an extra beer to drink for every 30 minutes you run.

#artbydmcbride

"The fewer porta-potties available...the more likely you will need to go..."

Runners run

Bruno

No single workout will guarantee you hit your goal, but a single workout can keep you from reaching it.  In my coaching days I'd tell the kids you can't win the race with a single workout, bit you can lose it with one.  I heard it at an XC camp, but can't remember who said it.