Running "rules of thumb" (Read 609 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Analogous to the Yasso 800s Rule is that you can race a mile at the pace you can run 8 x 400m with a 400m jog recovery.

Critique of the 10% Rule: aside from any actual evidence whether it is a good rule to follow, I doubt it was ever intended to be apllied on consecutive weeks, much less for longer periods as it is applied in many on-line training schedules.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hills are speed work in disguise (groan)

Run facing traffic (controversial I know)

Run on both sides of the road to account for the road camber (in direct contradiction to above)

Try to avoid running in the middle of the day in 90 + degree weather (unless you live close to the equator and 90 degrees is a cool day)

Running with a group is easier than running alone (if the group is of similar speed as you)

While running with a group try and avoid running 6 wide and hog the trail

Vary your routes, terrain, intensity and length of your runs

Run some without a watch

Run a race every once in a while

Try and do some cross training

Not sure if the above are rules of thumb or common sense rules of running, I'll leave to Spareribs to decide.

#artbydmcbride

What does the rule of thumb got to do with thumbs anyway?

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Happyfeet, don't leave it to me to decide!  What the hell do I know?  Those are good ones by the way and thanks.

Ilene, I was thinking of using the origin of the expression "rule of thumb" as a kind of hook to the article, as an approximation of an inch, but clearly not precise.  Good idea.  Spareribs

No Talent Drips

What does the rule of thumb got to do with thumbs anyway?

It may be hogwash, but I recall hearing of an etymology that had to do with the permissible width of a cane used for beating one's wife. So, there is that ugly tidbit.

Dei Gratia

#artbydmcbride

Rules of Toes would be better in respect to running...

Nemo, I will be sure to smack you with a narrow enough cane. 

Runners run

bhearn

It may be hogwash, but I recall hearing of an etymology that had to do with the permissible width of a cane used for beating one's wife. So, there is that ugly tidbit.

It's hogwash

SMART Approach

Junk miles.  To piggy back off my previous post, any mile on the road is beneficial. There is no such thing as junk miles. Another rule of thumb in my book is to, "run junk miles".

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you want to get better at running, then run.

If you are going to run any races, you should also volunteer at races occasionally.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

King of PhotoShop

wcrunner, I agree.  Imagine that if you wound up a rubber band no more than x times a day.  Certainly there comes a point when the band must snap.  So 10% a week simply means that sooner or later you'll hit a mileage point that will hurt you.  I've often suggested to others that when you are trying to build mileage, do no more than 10% a week, but also, every 3-4 weeks take a cutback week to rest and recover. That's no more precise but at least gives the poor dope a chance.  Thanks for that.  Spareribs

No Talent Drips

It's hogwash

Mostly. Ish.

Also too:hogwash (n.) Look up hogwash at Dictionary.commid-15c., "slops fed to pigs," from hog (n.) + wash (n.). Extended to "cheap liquor" (1712) then to "inferior writing" (1773).

Dei Gratia

Best Present Ever

what's controversial about not getting killed while running?  aren't all pedestrians supposed to run against, not with, traffic?  From the CDC: "•It's safest to walk on a sidewalk, but if one is not available, walk on the shoulder and face traffic"

Run facing traffic (controversial I know)

No Talent Drips

Nemo, I will be sure to smack you with a narrow enough cane. 

Hi.

Dei Gratia

bhearn

what's controversial about not getting killed while running?  aren't all pedestrians supposed to run against, not with, traffic?  

+1

what's controversial about not getting killed while running?  aren't all pedestrians supposed to run against, not with, traffic?  From the CDC: "•It's safest to walk on a sidewalk, but if one is not available, walk on the shoulder and face traffic"

I may have chosen the wrong word with 'Controversial', it was leading up to the next one.

Also in my opinion it may better sometimes to run with the traffic, around blind corners with tight/non existent shoulders, where the traffic can see you and have a chance to slow down. An example would be grandfather mountain marathon.