Should I get a scale with a body fat calculator? (Read 960 times)

Bugs

I constantly watch my scale, thinking I should have one with a body fat perc. calculator. Opinions?

Bugs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No. Go get your fat calculated once every year or two at a testing center or gym. That is your baseline. Most of your week to week weight change will be fluid and body fat. That should be all you need.
        If you don't want to go to the gym, you can also buy fat calipers and then by measuring yourself at 3 or 7 different places calculate your body fat from that. There are some online calculators that can do the calculations for you. http://www.rustyiron.net/bodyfat.htm is one. I agree with Trent that the scales aren't the best, so much of it will depend on fluid that you won't get a realistic idea of your true body fat. Having said that, calipers will have their own inaccuracies, you need to meaure the same place etc, I'd buy calipers that 'click' when the right pressure is being applied, this way you remove the variation in measurements that is caused by squeezing too little or too much!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Maniac

Don't waste your money on a scale....I have one and the percentages it gives me are completely worthless.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Don't waste your money on a scale....I have one and the percentages it gives me are completely worthless.
            ditto

From your profile picture, it doesn't look like you need to worry about what your body fat percentage is. What does it matter? There is so much emphasis these days on so many meaningless (in most cases) details. HR, threshold this, threshold that, percent this, percent that, goal weight this, goal weight that. I know there are some cases that you need to know certain details for health related issues, but in the majority of people, your body give you all the feedback you need. How you feel before you run, how you feel during the run and how you feel after you run.
              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Bugs

slosh252, Because I am 5 pounds heavier than that picture, but am also doing different sports, and it'd be nice to know what the 5 pounds extra is. I think I will start logging what jeans I am wearing. Smile

Bugs

SMART Approach

Hey Bugs, Nice to see you over here. If you are obsessed about numbers as I am, you can make this purchase. It may not be 100% accurate but gives you some comparisons from week to week. I get on the scale first thing in morning as I know I am consistent each morning without eating or drinking all night. The a.m. may give a slightly higher reading. Ideally mid afternoon is best but your hydration will fluctuate day to day. You can play with it. Also, it measure water percentage so it helps me know if my water intake is low or not. I agree, caliper method is great. I personally have done thousands of these on clients and like it because it shows improvement or not from site to site assuming you use same person and he/she is qualified. The below scale is one the most highly rated and is the one I own. http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SC-560-Tri-Fitness-HealthStation-Composition/dp/B0002RPZUQ

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I have one and I like it. It wasn't all that much money and it lets me keep track of myself. I don't necessarily take the numbers as gospel though. In my case, they certainly don't jive with body mass numbers. I'm 5'8" and today the scale had me at about 153 pounds and 15.something% fat. BMI calculator (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm) put that at @ 23. 18.5–24.9 is quote Normal. Maybe scale to calculator is apples to oranges, but there seems to be a sizeable disconnect. I may have a few more pounds to lose (not according to the wife, though) but I surely don't feel I am butting up agains the overweight category.
                      I don't treat the % that my scale gives me as gospel, but I do like to be able to measure, and over time it keeps an accurate record of relative fatness. Maybe the numbers are way off, but I know that if I'm averaging 12% for a while how that compares to when I was at 20%. I"ve started adding some strength training-I'm interested to see how/if that adjusts the % downwards. If it doesn't, I'll probably switch sides and recommend against the BF scales.

I never bothered getting one because it would be worthless for me. Those only work at all reliably if your body fat is 12%-15% or more. I get mine checked out every 4 or 5 years just as a curiosity factor rather than for a useful number.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have one and I like it. It wasn't all that much money and it lets me keep track of myself. I don't necessarily take the numbers as gospel though. In my case, they certainly don't jive with body mass numbers. I'm 5'8" and today the scale had me at about 153 pounds and 15.something% fat. BMI calculator (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm) put that at @ 23. 18.5–24.9 is quote Normal. Maybe scale to calculator is apples to oranges, but there seems to be a sizeable disconnect. I may have a few more pounds to lose (not according to the wife, though) but I surely don't feel I am butting up agains the overweight category.
                          dnephin - i don't really understand what you are saying here. do you think your bodyfat should be higher or lower than 15%? why does 15% not go with a 23 BMI?

...And I do.

I have a Tanita scale and when it comes to telling me my bf% it is a LIAR!!!! It says I'm something like 45% bf so I quit listening to it. Our local university has a Human Performance lab and they have a Bod Pod and they do bf testing for $10 and it is more accurate than the dunk test. If you live close to a university, see if they've got a method they use. Totally cool to work with the students too!
                              dnephin - i don't really understand what you are saying here. do you think your bodyfat should be higher or lower than 15%? why does 15% not go with a 23 BMI?
                              Because -- and perhaps I'm mistaken, I take the BMI to equal or roughly equal what is also meant by body fat percent. Maybe that's were I'm wrong. But I guarantee you, looking at me, you would not say, oh, he is butting up against the overweight category, as would be indicated by my BMI number. I would think my BMI is/should be lower than it is by those fillintheblank calculators. I could well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
                                ah i see. i wondered if that was what you were thinking. BMI and body fat are totally different things. they won't necessarily be similar numbers. BMI is a purely height to weight scale. weight in kgs/(height in meters squared) gives BMI. it tells you exactly nothing about your body fat. take two men. both 5ft 8 (1.73m) and both 150lbs (68kg). They both have a BMI of a bit under 23. but one has 12% body fat and the other 25% body fat. assuming they are roughly the same overall build then the first guy has about 20lbs more muscle and 20lbs less fat than the second guy. given how much bigger a lb of fat is than a lb of muscle (see picture) then the second guy will look significantly more overweight than the first. so its quite possible that you are BMI 23 and body fat 15%. people who carry a lot of muscle are often in the higher end of the BMI scale - its one of the most often quoted reasons why BMI is not a very good measure of the overall healthiness of athletes. 15% is at the lower end of the "normal" body fat for men. sounds about right for how you are describing yourself. hope that helps Mandy