At what age do you think you will have to quit running? (Read 840 times)

My life seems to be surrounded by retired runners that say they can't do it any more. At what age do you think you will have to stop?
    Bugs, how old are these runners that you know and why are they quitting?
      I tell people my long term running goal is to finish the 50 th Myrtle Beach half marathon. Think they just had their 11 th so I'll be 92 for the 50th, people think I'm joking but it seriously is my goal. Hopefully they can last that long. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Cause I CAN

till i die
        Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
        http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

hopefully I will die out there on the road...maybe at 101 .. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The answer: Helen Klein
            Wow. (I wonder what Rockenmamaof5 will be like at this age) Did she wear her husband out? 100 Marathons and 140 Ultras? I personally have lower expectations with chicks I see Cool.

Vim

Bugs

Bugs, how old are these runners that you know and why are they quitting?
              50s mostly. Reasons, torn meniscus, ankle replacement, etc.. All are now bikers. The most interesting is the VP at work, he was just 20 seconds shy from qualifing for the olympics. He said, "was just as well we didn't go to the olympics that year". Shocked He ran 100+ mlie weeks and says "I was in pain, I found there was more to life than just running." I am trying to talk him into entering a 5K but he won't do it.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

I guess I will give a sensible answer. I will quit running when it does more harm than good.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  50s mostly.
                  OH CRAP, I'm 52 and have only been running 7 months. I do average 80 KM a week though. No problems yet and I don't plan on quitting. By the way a couple of weeks ago I ran 23 km, the furthest and longest I have ever run in my entire life. Cool

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Bugs

OH CRAP, I'm 52 and have only been running 7 months. I do average 80 KM a week though. No problems yet and I don't plan on quitting. By the way a couple of weeks ago I ran 23 km, the furthest and longest I have ever run in my entire life. Cool
                    But your situation is different. You didn't wreck your knees in your 30s.

Bugs

Old, Slow, Happy

I don't plan to quit running. I'm 54 years old. I played basketball, etc. when I was in high school and college. I was never a runner. I started running 4 years ago. I run 45 - 50 miles per week. I had a calf muscle tear in early Feb. I didn't run for 3 weeks. It was terrible. I went to the gym and used the elliptical for 1 1/2 hours each day. What a lousy way to exercise. I even missed running in the cold and snow. I plan to be running 'till I die. I hope it happens on the road. If RA is still here in 40 years, I'll still be keepng my running log here. DON"T EVER TALK TO ME ABOUT QUITTING!!!!!!
                        Well, one of my club members completed the Arkansas Traveler 100-miler in her sixties. She didn't win, though.
                          26???? Seems like my body gave out on me last year....
                            never Cool

I Can Go The Distance

When I die. I'm 58 and just ran a 5k race this Sunday in 24:20. That is not real fast, but most of my non-running friends can't even walk around the block. My weekday running group is made up of mostly guys over 65 and they can still run me under the track. In Sunday's race there was a guy who was 81 and came in at about 40 min. Even more impressive, he ran in his original Oregon track team jersey!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

If you ask my husband he says that I'll have to quit by age 40 since I'm wearing out my body with all this crazy running. BUT...I'm willing to bet I'll last longer than that, especially since I'm 36 and don't see my body falling apart drastically in the next 4 years. Roll eyes I'm going to say that when I'm in my 60's I might think it's time to give up on trying to reach any running goals I haven't quite reached. Big grin

Michelle