Dick's comes through (Read 1737 times)

jeffdonahue

I was really surprised that they did though.

last year I bought a pair of running shoes (Adidas Adizero Tempo) at Dick's Sporting Goods.  When I was at the register, the girl there asked me if I wanted to buy the warranty.  I was skeptical but asked what it covered.  She said it covered normal wear and tear, so if anything happened to the sneakers in the next year, I just bring them back and either get a new pair or a gift card for the value of the shoes.

I thought about it for a minute or so, because typically for me the support runs out and I need new shoes WAY before they have any signs of wear and tear.  But I decided to gamble and bought the warranty anyway.  Lo and behold, 400 miles later and the support was gone but the shoes still looked like they were in pretty good shape.  So I kept them around and wore them as casual sneakers, but not for running anymore.  About two months ago I noticed that the seam by the top eyelet was coming loose on one shoe.

So I went online and filed my claim.  Okay, I tried the store first, but apparenlty you cant just return them to the store, you have to file a claim online and mail the shoes back to them.  I mailed the shoes back (with a free UPS label that they provided) and yesterday got a gift card to Dick's for $100.

I am psyched - it's like a pair of running shoes for $9.  though I read somewhere online that they dont offer that warranty any more, but when I go to buy my shoes there this time if they offer I will definitely get it again.

I was really surprised that they did though.

last year I bought a pair of running shoes (Adidas Adizero Tempo) at Dick's Sporting Goods.  When I was at the register, the girl there asked me if I wanted to buy the warranty.  I was skeptical but asked what it covered.  She said it covered normal wear and tear, so if anything happened to the sneakers in the next year, I just bring them back and either get a new pair or a gift card for the value of the shoes.

I thought about it for a minute or so, because typically for me the support runs out and I need new shoes WAY before they have any signs of wear and tear.  But I decided to gamble and bought the warranty anyway.  Lo and behold, 400 miles later and the support was gone but the shoes still looked like they were in pretty good shape.  So I kept them around and wore them as casual sneakers, but not for running anymore.  About two months ago I noticed that the seam by the top eyelet was coming loose on one shoe.

So I went online and filed my claim.  Okay, I tried the store first, but apparenlty you cant just return them to the store, you have to file a claim online and mail the shoes back to them.  I mailed the shoes back (with a free UPS label that they provided) and yesterday got a gift card to Dick's for $100.

I am psyched - it's like a pair of running shoes for $9.  though I read somewhere online that they dont offer that warranty any more, but when I go to buy my shoes there this time if they offer I will definitely get it again.

Sweet, Dicks it is for my running shoes 

The Thunder

Big box shoppers.  You should be ashamed of yourself! 

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

That may work if you can find a deal, but often they are way more expensive than what you can find online. If you go through a pair of shoes per month, paying 10-30 bucks more per shoe will add up real fast. If every pair of shoes you buy fall apart, well it's time to find another model/brand.
          Purdey

Self anointed title

they are way more expensive than what you can find online.

Hey. That should cheer Thunder up.

MrH

Hey. That should cheer Thunder up.

And they have a wider range of fuel belts.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xhristopher

And they have a wider range of fuel belts.

... to better carry your bear spray.

That may work if you can find a deal, but often they are way more expensive than what you can find online. If you go through a pair of shoes per month, paying 10-30 bucks more per shoe will add up real fast. If every pair of shoes you buy fall apart, well it's time to find another model/brand.

A pair of shoes a month? Rotating two pair is said to make each pair last 50% longer.

I now buy my shoes from a small running specific local store and can normally get them cheaper then on-line. My latest pair where a Nke Air Pegasus 27 and I paid 67.50 for them. I get to try them on, where them for a while to make sure there is nothing funky going on with them and return for a replacement if there is without hassle or paying for return shipping.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Big box shoppers.  You should be ashamed of yourself! 

+1

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

See, that's not necessarily true.  Because when I searched for the Adizero tempo online they are usually around the $90-100 range which is what I pay at Dicks (or local running store) and I get to try them on for fit.

Dont' get me wrong, I am all for shopping at your local running store, and I usually do.  But given that Dick's tag price is about the same as the local running store, but i can usually find a 20% off coupon to use at Dick's, the cheap / frugal side of me comes out and I can't pass up the deal.  never mind the other factor in the equation (my wife) who cringes every two months when I tell her I need to go buy a new pair of running shoes, so it's easier to get by her if I have a coupon (or in this case can get two pairs essentially for the price of one).

xor

A pair of shoes a month? Rotating two pair is said to make each pair last 50% longer.

That doesn't really work for me, but it is because of my bad form (plus, well, I dunno that it is really true in general or not).  Whether I rotate shoes or not, I will wear the sole out on shoe model A at the 300 mark and shoe models B and C at the 400-500 mark (so yes, I stopped buying A).  I run 360-410 miles most months.  So... pair of shoes a month.  However, because I *do* rotate shoes, it really means twice a year I buy a whole bunch of shoes. On sale.  Or when I spot the random cheap pair at an expo, etc.

I've tried this and still after about 500 miles the shoes feel worn out.  I mainly keep two working pairs in case one is still wet/sweaty from a prior run.  I don't think it makes them last longer. 

What's the mechanism by which rotating shoes is supposed to prolong their life?

MrH

What's the mechanism by which rotating shoes is supposed to prolong their life?

I think the idea was that the cushioning takes time to recover. I have no idea if that's true.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

xor

I think the idea was that the cushioning takes time to recover. I have no idea if that's true.

That is indeed the theory.  And so for several years, I used to take two pairs of shoes on trips so I could alternate.  Then I stopped... and found that I felt no difference in cushioning and my shoes did not last longer/shorter.

HOWEVER.

Alternating shoes is mack daddy super G goodness when it comes to the Captain Obvious statement "hey, I got those shoes wet and I want a dry pair".  And so I still alternate shoes.  Well, that and I like shoes.