Two black toenails after a race in Kinvaras (Read 1677 times)

I have been running and racing for a couple years now without ever having a black toenail.  Two weeks ago I bought a pair of Kinvaras, I got an 11.5 despite the fact that I wear an 11 in all other shoes simply because the store was out of 11s.  I ran a 6 mile easy run in them with no issues.  A couple days later did a 12 mile MP run in them, afterward I notice my second toe on one foot was a bit sore at the nail, but never thought anything of it.  This past weekend I ran a 10 mile race in them.  I never noticed anything during or after the race, but later that night both of my second toe nails were black (very) and very sore, especially with any pressure on them.  (My second toes are longer than big toe).  The shoes felt like they were laced pretty normal (not too loose) ,and I have what seems to be plenty of room in them.  They still hurt today (Wednesday) but are getting better.

So now that you know too much about my gross feet, the point of my post:  Black toenails from bigger shoes?.....from the type of shoe (Kinvara or more natural style)?.....only a faster paces?  The real question: my longest run in them is 12 miles, and I was planning on them for Philly marathon in 12 days, should I be worried?

Thanks very much.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Black toenails can come from any abrasion of the toenail, not just that caused by wearing shoes that are not long enough.  Something rubbing laterally across the top of the toenail or something pushing down on the toenail can just as easily be the culprit.  The fact that you're wearing shoes that are different size than your normally wear could mean that your toenails happen to line up with a seem or crease in the shoe that they normally would not be underneath.  Its just a theory, but that's my guess.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Same thing happened to me. Both of my big toenails turned black after I bought new shoes. i decided that the leather seam running across the top of the shoes were rubbing against my big toes. I lost the nails about halfway down. The nails grew back, but I never again wore those shoes. After I bought a different pair, I haven't had any more trouble.

Sounds like they don't quite fit right.  If I were you I don't think I'd wear them in your marathon in 12 days.

Sounds like they don't quite fit right.  If I were you I don't think I'd wear them in your marathon in 12 days.

Perhaps, but often the biggest value of a marathon is as a character builder. I think the marathon may be even more of a character builder if DgRosen wears those shoes.

Toenails are added weight. If you lose them, the .001 ounce reduction in weight is worth 3 seconds over the course of a marathon. I think you know what must be done.

Toenails are added weight. If you lose them, the .001 ounce reduction in weight is worth 3 seconds over the course of a marathon. I think you know what must be done.

Actually, my concern is the problems they would cause rattling around in my socks if they fall off mid race, I'm hoping they fall off before race day.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

northernman

Fight The Future

I would always get black toenails on my second toes after long runs and especially marathons. Now, unfortunately, they've both become infected, I presume from repeated trauma. Doesn't hurt, but looks really bad. I gotta start cutting out the end of my shoes...

Actually, my concern is the problems they would cause rattling around in my socks if they fall off mid race, I'm hoping they fall off before race day.

Drain through the nail and wrap. Keep it drained and it will be more mechanically stable. Try to keep it clean, covered, maybe bathe it in an H2O2 solution. A little topical antibiotic in addition won't hurt either.

Drain through the nail and wrap. Keep it drained and it will be more mechanically stable. Try to keep it clean, covered, maybe bathe it in an H2O2 solution. A little topical antibiotic in addition won't hurt either.

Video please.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

sethf11

Welcome to the club. I have had my share of them. I now have been going through a bleeding toe. Each run it happens withbthe same to. Can't fmget it to heal. No pain so I don't really care about it too much. I've ruined a lot of socks though. I call them my Curt Schilling socks.
                        keeponrunning

Pictures please.

Ew.  No thanks.  My own feet are nasty enough, and I don't have any black toenails.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I'd rather have black kinvaras than black toenails from kinvaras.  In fact, my black kinvaras showed up on my doorstep this evening.

If I bought a pair of shoes that gave me black toenails, I'd not wear them again.  I bought some high dollar Nike Victory+ IDs once that gave me blisters on my achilles, and I didn't wear them more than twice.  Haven't had that problem before or since.

I wore a pair of Kinvaras for my last marathon and had zero issues.

Different shoes work for different people.  Could be the size. Could be the shoes.  Experiment of one, etc.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I have been running and racing for a couple years now without ever having a black toenail.  Two weeks ago I bought a pair of Kinvaras, I got an 11.5 despite the fact that I wear an 11 in all other shoes simply because the store was out of 11s.  I ran a 6 mile easy run in them with no issues.  A couple days later did a 12 mile MP run in them, afterward I notice my second toe on one foot was a bit sore at the nail, but never thought anything of it.  This past weekend I ran a 10 mile race in them.  I never noticed anything during or after the race, but later that night both of my second toe nails were black (very) and very sore, especially with any pressure on them.  (My second toes are longer than big toe).  The shoes felt like they were laced pretty normal (not too loose) ,and I have what seems to be plenty of room in them.  They still hurt today (Wednesday) but are getting better.

So now that you know too much about my gross feet, the point of my post:  Black toenails from bigger shoes?.....from the type of shoe (Kinvara or more natural style)?.....only a faster paces?  The real question: my longest run in them is 12 miles, and I was planning on them for Philly marathon in 12 days, should I be worried?

Thanks very much.

First of all, it is absolutely rediculous to buy shoes based on the model rather than the fit.  You bought 11.5 because they didn't have 11.0?  For a runner, shoes are supposed to be the most important equipment; yet, it is amazing how many people don't pay attention to them...

Any ill-fitted shoes would cause problems one way or another.  Chances are; because the shoes are too big, your feet are moving around in the shoes.

Hope people choose the shoes by the right fit; not the color, model, brand, or whatever is available.