Seeking reviews and advice on elastic lacing systems (Read 722 times)

I first heard of SpeedLaces on this site some time ago. I thought, "that looks convenient but won't it affect the fit of the shoes?" I know many shoes have lacing holes placed in such a way to affect the fit. Bypassing those holes just seems like it could be a negative. Many runs and some irritation later, I am considering one of the elastic type shoelaces. I am wondering what others thought of them, any reviews advice etc. My biggest question regarding the speedlaces is, do they negatively affect the fit of your running shoes? I also found Lock Laces and Tyless, they seem to do the same thing, but use the regular holes. I'm wondering if the laces tend to get stuck or not move as well.
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

dave_g

I just ordered and received my second round of Lock Laces. I like them. I have used them in two pair of trainers so far with success. I was having problems over-tightening with the round laces that come standard on my shoes. I have found the elastic Lock Laces to be very comfortable (they stretch). As a bonus I can now slip on and off my shoes quickly and still have a snug fit (again the elastic stretches, thus easy on and off). The only concern I have is the bit of extra weight. I don't consider them heavy as everything in the system is elastic or plastic however comparing against normal laces there is a slight weight difference. I'm curious to know if any elite non-triathlon athletes use them. I haven't tried anything but the Lock laces. I ordered from their website with no problems. http://www.locklaces.com/
        I got lock laces from my shop, thinking, oooh, wouldn't it be great to tie 'em once and be done? We'll, that was more than a month ago. I still tie them, but at least they haven't come loose Smile I think it would take more fiddling than it's worth to find the not TOO tight tie and be done with it. Plus, if you do cut them as indicated for the once and done method, I think you'd have to buy a new set with new shoes. Not sure they're worth it. I mainly got them because the laces in my New Balance were so frigging long. Coulda laced up boots. Shoe companies should provide a couple heat shrink aglets so you can modify lace length.
          I got lock laces from my shop, thinking, oooh, wouldn't it be great to tie 'em once and be done? We'll, that was more than a month ago. I still tie them, but at least they haven't come loose Smile I think it would take more fiddling than it's worth to find the not TOO tight tie and be done with it. Plus, if you do cut them as indicated for the once and done method, I think you'd have to buy a new set with new shoes. Not sure they're worth it. I mainly got them because the laces in my New Balance were so frigging long. Coulda laced up boots. Shoe companies should provide a couple heat shrink aglets so you can modify lace length.
          Thank you for the review. You made me chuckle. One reason I finally decided to do something... my laces are too SHORT!!!
          You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Insert witty title here

I don't have any of them, but here's my view after looking at all 3. - Tyless looks like a good idea for casual shoes, not for running though. - SpeedLaces has a picture on their main page of someone running in Nike Shox which makes me immediately question anything they say. One other note on those is that they have non-stretch laces for runners which does seem more stable than elastic laces. - Out of all 3 the LockLaces seem the best to me overall because I like the design the best and they use the regular eyelets.

ThomasRuns Blog
            Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]