Running with audiobooks (Read 7325 times)

I don't listen while running (just can't concentrate enough on either the run or the story), but I travel a lot, and I love audibooks and podcasts. David Sedaris audiobooks are awesome. I get bored just reading his books, but hearing him tell the stories makes them great. I remember the Harry Potter narrator being really good too. Richard Dawkins is another great narrator, he also narrates a couple of other books on Audible not written by him. He's pretty special interest though. I also listen to these podcasts: Coast-to-Coast AM (you have to pay for this one, but as a longtime fan of the show I love it) Skeptics Guide to the Universe This American Life Real Time with Bill Maher Dave Ramsey
    For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
      Haha, wow. I honestly don't think I could listen to Richard Dawkings while running.
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
        Yeah, it's probably completely incompatible with running. He's just a good narrator.
        For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

David Sedaris audiobooks are awesome. I get bored just reading his books, but hearing him tell the stories makes them great.
          That really struck me...I can't imagine "reading" his books--his narration adds so much. Same for the Chelsea Handler book I read. Their funny voices/accents for different characters add a facet that my mind would lack, especially as so many of their stories involve real people that I have never met.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

NPR has classic tales on audio. I like listening to jazz profiles. It tells you about jazz artist and its free. Big grin The tempo is great for MAFF training.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

MAFF is hard. I know. Lame.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just don't run with this book, it's dangerous.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just don't run with this book, it's dangerous.
                  Ha! That reminds me of jlynnbob's old avatar Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

FabBakerboy

I would almost certainly like both of those...they crack me up. BTW, does anyone know who reads Barack Obama's books? I'm assuming he does the reading...at least I would hope that's the case.
                    The real question is: why would you want anyone want to read obama's books? Roll eyes
                      I like to listen to true story adventure and running type books when running. "No Shortcuts To the Top" is an amazing audiobook and if you feel tired or like you just wish the run would end that books will inspire you to just keep going. Secret Life of Bees has an amazing reader and is a really REALLY good book as well. I love it especially if I am running someplace remote and can just focus on the store and the sound of my feet.
                      You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                        Barack Obama reads both of his books
                        Yep, Obama read his own books and won a grammy for it.
                        You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

11 years ago so bump it up: just finished Andre Agassis Open, too many match stories in the end. But it was entertaining. I love the freakonomics podcasts. They are well done and Steven Dubner rocks. I am through most of the running books I believe. Including the Iron War and the Ultra books. Any recommendations for good podcasts or books? I am an audible person, less fictions more facts.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Joann Y

11 years ago so bump it up: just finished Andre Agassis Open, too many match stories in the end. But it was entertaining. I love the freakonomics podcasts. They are well done and Steven Dubner rocks. I am through most of the running books I believe. Including the Iron War and the Ultra books. Any recommendations for good podcasts or books? I am an audible person, less fictions more facts.

Just read Matt Fitzgerald's Running the Dream: One Summer Living, Training, and Racing with a Team of World-Class Runners Half My Age. It's his experience as a 40-something runner training with the Northern Arizona Elite for 13 weeks before the Chicago Marathon in 2017. I found it pretty inspiring as a masters runner myself. Now I'm on a tear watching and reading all NAZ Elite stuff I can find (this book on top of Aliphine winning the trials has got me pretty stoked). Currently reading Ben Rosario (NAZ Elite coach) and Scott Fauble's  collaboration Inside A Marathon. That one won't work as an audiobook... too many footnotes and there are charts with his weekly training. Scott's got a pretty good sense of humor and the footnotes make me think he's read David Foster Wallace for sure. Currently listening to Kevin Hart on the Joe Rogan Podcast. His interview with Alex Honnold was fun. He's interviewed Courtney Dauwalter and Zach Bitter in the past. Rich Roll has got a bunch of good podcast interviews, lots of good stuff back in the archives there. I really like Mario Frailoli's The Morning Shakeout Podcast as well as The Billy Yang Podcast (both running related with quality interviews). The only podcast that I listen to without fail is not running related but I find fun is The Dumbbells podcast, a fitness podcast by 2 comedians out of Los Angeles. Just a couple of guys giving each other a hard time and making inappropriate jokes with lots of great ideas on fitness mixed in.

Joann, thank you for taking the time to answer. I had to organise your thoughts though, it was just too many and will help me work through those:

1. Matt Fitzgerald Running the Dream
                              2. Rosario & Fauble: Inside a Marathon (need to read this one due to footnotes)
                              3. Kevin Hart – Joe Rogan Podcast (interview with Alex Honnold, Courtney D, Zach Bitter)
                              4. Rich Roll podcasts (I think he is too zen by now)
                              5. Mario Frailoli The Morning Shakeout podcast
                              6. Billy Yang – Podcasts (I have watched most of his videos)
                              7. The Dumbbells Podcast (Fitness podcast)

I don't have any more credits on audible, so will start with Kevin Hart / Joe Rogan and see if Billy Yang is just as good with podcasts, as he is with his epic videos. The Dumbbells - inappropriate jokes and some fitness content? That is right up my alley. I will report back!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Joann Y

Haha. Thanks for organizing. Yeah, I was starting to type something up about the latest Rich Roll's being too hipsy dipsy but then took it out. What have been some of your top running books that you've read? I've read a lot of them but def not all. Oh, Running with the Buffaloes was awesome and Bernd Heinrich's Why We Run too... once you get more audible credits.