Do you actually wear your race shirts? (Read 1154 times)

The poster who was upset about the shirts got me thinking. How many people really wear the shirts? I am 5"2 and rarely get a small shirt. Usually they are XL or XXL in my house that equals nightgown. DH also inherits alot. He wears them to bang around in or if they are not too ugly out in public. Our kid's now ask "who ran the race mom or dad". He had a bad year injury wise or lately they are all mine. I unfortunately have never done a race and gotten a tech shirt. That will be on my list of goals for 2009.

Prince of Fatness

The tech shirts I use for training runs. The cotton ones I use for working in the yard, etc. I wear size large, and don't seem to get the wrong size handed to me much. But if for some reason the shirt doesn't fit there's usually someone in the family that will take it.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Cotton: I wear some of them regularly. A few of the ugly ones get put into a box for "race day throwaway layer". Some get sent to goodwill. Tech shirts: I use a few of the nice ones for training. But lots of the tech shirts I get at races are of poor quality. I'd muuuuuuch rather get a cotton shirt from a race than a crappy quality tech shirt. Some go in the same race day throwaway box, most go to goodwill. I probably only keep 25% of my shirts. A very few shirts go into the trophy box... stuff I won't wear, but want to keep. My first post-sickness race (Capital City Half, 2001). All my Portland Marathon shirts. Leadville.

Kimmie

I wear them... it depends on the quality. I have been lucky to get plenty of smalls.
          JimR

I wear them. White cotton ones become undershirts, most of them I will run in, even cotton ones. A few nice ones I just wear as casuals. Half my wardrobe is race shirts.
            DoppleBock

Yes almost all of them - The long and short sleeve that are kindof cool - I keep for good - That does not happen very often. The rest are usually worn for running - tech or cotton. There are a few tech shirts that are really thick are are usless to me - Those I should throw out.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yes and have been able to get medium at the races I do that give t-shirts. Oops, make that race. I had one year where I think I got 3 t-shirts, but the races I'm doing now only one (out of 5) has t shirts. Two use bibs (others don't). I'll use cotton t-shirts for every-day wear.
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Imminent Catastrophe

Some. The really bad ones I use for painting or yardwork. The ones I really treasure, I never wear because...I treasure them and I don't want them to wear out. Make sense? So the ones I wear a lot are the "just OK" ones. Which brings up another point--everyone loves long-sleeved T's but they're really a lot less useful than a shortsleeve, especially in the south, they're too hot in the summer. So I have some nice longsleeve T's that I hardly ever wear. My favorite race goodies were a beer glass and a nice coffee mug. Now those are useful! MTA: JimR, what the hell is the deal with your avatar?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Which brings up another point--everyone loves long-sleeved T's but they're really a lot less useful than a shortsleeve, especially in the south, they're too hot in the summer. So I have some nice longsleeve T's that I hardly ever wear. My favorite race goodies were a beer glass and a nice coffee mug. Now those are useful!
                    Dude, you could always consider a move to the lovely PNW. I assure you that the long sleeves will get use. I love my pint glasses. In order to get a pint glass with the weird Marathon Maniac dude etched on it, you'd think you'd have to run a MM sponsored marathon. But you'd be wrong. We got them at the Tacoma Narrows Half this year. Go figure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cotton ones I may wear a couple of times for maybe a month after the race, after that I sleep in them for a while, then hand them down to DS. Tech ones--I've been lucky. Pretty much all are Brooks, NB, or Race Ready brand. I have one short-sleeve off-brand that I like the quality of, but the graphic is HUGE, stiff, and very heavy (shut up, peanut gallery)--it looks like a life-size license plate, so it holds in moisture and isn't even comfy for everyday wear. But it was a cheap race and only the first 100 got tech shirts, so I'm not gonna complain.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JimR

I have one short-sleeve off-brand that I like the quality of, but the graphic is HUGE, stiff, and very heavy.
                        Your race shirt has a picture of my pecker on it? Confused I don't remember posing for that

Member Since 2008

I use my race shirts as seat covers in my truck.

Jazz hands!

I get crafty: http://www.generation-t.com/ I have several t-shirt coasters around the apartment.
                            run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Old, Slow, Happy

I use my race shirts when I coach soccer. I am hoping it encourages my players to get out and run. In fact, last year I had 4 of them at a 10 miler in January, 3 at a HM in March, and 3 at a HM in May. There might be 4 or 5 at Randy's 10 miler in November, if we aren't still playing in the Ohio High School Soccer Tournament.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What makes a tech shirt good versus crappy? I usually stick mine in a box. One day I may get creative.